New to Us Cyclone and Tying down the toys

Zedd

Hi all we are new to toy hauler world and jumped in headfirst and picked up a 2007 Cyclone 3795 which is probably way more than we needed but it was the only reasonable one we could find that had a king size bed. Its also our first fifth wheel and that has been an experience in itself! ;)
I have been combing the forum and have had a lot of questions answered, thank you all, but i do have a couple of questions as we prepare for the maiden voyage.

Whats the best way to tie down the ATV? We haul two Brute Force 750s and i dont need them banging around in the garage. It seems to have a tie down system in it called TowRax? Which has rails on the floor and some pins you can slide in and tie down to but i am not sure this is enough. Was this stock? I dont see any d-rings anywhere so i am assuming it was or maybe a custom add on?

We used tire bonnets to tie down on our old Bulldog rack will those work here or will it leave to much free play in the suspension?

We arent RV park campers, yet, so we do a lot of backwoods boondock camping so i want to make sure everything is secure so any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Is there anything in particular iI should watch out for on this year and model? I am a little worried about the tires so I replaced them all with 10 ply which was the heaviest I could get for a 15inch and weight seems to be an issue and it doesn't look like the factory 8 ply tires were enough for this beast.

Lastly as a new fifth wheel puller and Cyclone owner are there any tips you can offer for backing and pulling, other than practice?

Thanks!

remoandiris

Make sure your 3/4 ton Dodge is rated to handle the load you're pulling AND stopping.

When backing up, put one hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. If you want the rear of the trailer to go left, move your bottom hand to the left. If you want the rear of the trailer to go right, move your bottom hand to the right. Other than that, just back up slowly and adjust a little at a time. Those things do NOT turn on a dime. For me, backing into a spot that is on the left side of the rig is MUCH easier than backing into a spot on the right.

In my experience, left turns are easier than right turns because lefts are wider. You should to practice rights. You may find a good reference is the passenger door. Once the passenger door gets to the intersection, start turning the wheel. Depending on the rig's length, your reference point might be the rear passenger door.

Make sure you know how tall your rig is. If the air conditioners are taller than the gas station overhang, DON'T FUEL UP THERE!!!

As long as the quads are tied down securely, they shouldn't move. Watch what you put in the bunks above your quads. You have to secure that stuff, too. The gash in the fender of my GoldWing reminds me of that everytime I look at it.

sbuckman

Congrats and welcome to the forum! Our first camper was a Cyclone 2007 3795, you got an awesome rig there! Our rigs all have had D rings and we always tie down with ratchet straps. Good call on replacing the tires! I can only speak from our experience and the advice we can give is baby those axles! We had 5000 lb axles on ours and the pin weight was 3000 lbs which on paper made the 18000 lbs but we had issues with having to have the axles straightened all the time. Be very slow and careful to not bind up when you are backing in any place. Slow and easy and move forward and back to work your way in... what ever you can to avoid the binding. Like I said this is only from our experience with the one we owned, you may not have any issues what so ever with anything. The best camping memories we have so far have been in that 3795! Hope you and your family have a blast with yours!

sbryan

Agree with all that has been said so far. We bought a 2007 3795 last year and haul two BMW motorcycles. The floor has front and rear D rings so I think your rig has been modified. That said, I can't comment on how rugged the track system is but tie downs front and rear work for the motorcycles.

Tires - good for you to upgrade. I am in the process of moving from 15" to 16" so I can go with a 14 ply G rated tire. You may want to consider that down the road.

The axles are really just barely sufficient so as Stacey said, try not to bind up the axles when turning. Triples tend to scuff tires to begin with and you don't want to bend an axle by trying to make too tight a turn.

Make sure the rig is level when hooked up to your truck. Otherwise you will end up putting too much load on the front or rear tires and axle, which is already marginally sufficient.

Make sure you check your RV brakes and bearings - again because of the weight of the 3795. It is a big beast but will treat you well if you just take it slow.

Make sure when you park that you level the rig at the wheels with blocks and when you extend the landing gear make sure they hit the blocks at the same time. You can shear the landing gear system if you get the landing gear too far out of synch with one another. You can also torque the frame if you don't level at the wheels and the landing gear gets too far out of synch. In other words, don't try to level the rig with the landing gear.

We love our rig and have no desire to "move up" to a fancier model. Sure, the newer rigs have nicer couches and fancier TVs and microwaves but for the money the 3795 is well made and can give you years of fun.

Keep us posted on the mods you'll inevitably decide to do to make it your own. There don't seem to be a lot of us 3795 owners around so don't be a stranger.

Oh and one more tip - if you are boondocking a lot I'd convert all the incandescent lights to LED. It will save your battery and let you go longer between generator runs.

Zedd

Thanks for all the help and advice! Remoandiris never thought about the bunk storage gonna take that ladder down TONIGHT! And Shawn guess I am going to hit Amazon for some LED's cause about all we do is boondocking! Stacy and Dave good to hear you confidence in the 3795 makes me a little more confident in our semi spur of the moment decision.

Shawn and Sbuckman did either of your 2007's have this TowRax tie down system?

This is a great place for information and I applauded Heartland for rendering such great customer service to someone like me who didn't purchase their rig new and for supporting this site

sbryan

Zedd,
Our rig has the D ring tie downs, and not a Towrax system. I'm not familiar with the Towrax so can't comment on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

sbryan

Hi all we are new to toy hauler world and jumped in headfirst and picked up a 2007 Cyclone 3795 which is probably way more than we needed but it was the only reasonable one we could find that had a king size bed. Its also our first fifth wheel and that has been an experience in itself! ;)
I have been combing the forum and have had a lot of questions answered, thank you all, but i do have a couple of questions as we prepare for the maiden voyage.

Whats the best way to tie down the ATV? We haul two Brute Force 750s and i dont need them banging around in the garage. It seems to have a tie down system in it called TowRax? Which has rails on the floor and some pins you can slide in and tie down to but i am not sure this is enough. Was this stock? I dont see any d-rings anywhere so i am assuming it was or maybe a custom add on?

We used tire bonnets to tie down on our old Bulldog rack will those work here or will it leave to much free play in the suspension?

We arent RV park campers, yet, so we do a lot of backwoods boondock camping so i want to make sure everything is secure so any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Is there anything in particular iI should watch out for on this year and model? I am a little worried about the tires so I replaced them all with 10 ply which was the heaviest I could get for a 15inch and weight seems to be an issue and it doesn't look like the factory 8 ply tires were enough for this beast.

Lastly as a new fifth wheel puller and Cyclone owner are there any tips you can offer for backing and pulling, other than practice?

Thanks!

Agree with all that has been said so far. We bought a 2007 3795 last year and haul two BMW motorcycles. The floor has front and rear D rings so I think your rig has been modified. That said, I can't comment on how rugged the track system is but tie downs front and rear work for the motorcycles.

Tires - good for you to upgrade. I am in the process of moving from 15" to 16" so I can go with a 14 ply G rated tire. You may want to consider that down the road.

The axles are really just barely sufficient so as Stacey said, try not to bind up the axles when turning. Triples tend to scuff tires to begin with and you don't want to bend an axle by trying to make too tight a turn.

Make sure the rig is level when hooked up to your truck. Otherwise you will end up putting too much load on the front or rear tires and axle, which is already marginally sufficient.

Make sure you check your RV brakes and bearings - again because of the weight of the 3795. It is a big beast but will treat you well if you just take it slow.

Make sure when you park that you level the rig at the wheels with blocks and when you extend the landing gear make sure they hit the blocks at the same time. You can shear the landing gear system if you get the landing gear too far out of synch with one another. You can also torque the frame if you don't level at the wheels and the landing gear gets too far out of synch. In other words, don't try to level the rig with the landing gear.

We love our rig and have no desire to "move up" to a fancier model. Sure, the newer rigs have nicer couches and fancier TVs and microwaves but for the money the 3795 is well made and can give you years of fun.

Keep us posted on the mods you'll inevitably decide to do to make it your own. There don't seem to be a lot of us 3795 owners around so don't be a stranger.

Oh and one more tip - if you are boondocking a lot I'd convert all the incandescent lights to LED. It will save your battery and let you go longer between generator runs.

Zedd,
Our rig has the D ring tie downs, and not a Towrax system. I'm not familiar with the Towrax so can't comment on it. Also, check eBay for leds. I bought mine from a seller in China for $3-4 each and have been very pleased. Ended up buying about 40 bulbs to change out everything.