New Truck + Gooseneck = New Problem

chasdvorak

So...... We opened up the wallet and purchased a 2015 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab Shortbed that was equipped with B&W Turnball underbed hitch. I like the idea of not having rails in the bed, but I also like the performance of our Airbox 5th Wheel hitch (which requires rails), that we used in our old truck.

I reviewed some of the previous posts regarding gooseneck (GN) adapters but I am not familiar with the methods used to install GN hitches. In my particular case, the GN ball is located several inches forward (4-5") of the rear axle. It doesn't seem like a standard installation since I expected the ball to be located over the rear axle. I found a GN adapter from Curt (Part# 16310) which is basically a drop in set of rails, but I am concerned that this would move the coach closer to the rear window of the truck since the ball is not centered on the axle.

The second option is the B&W Companion 5th Wheel hitch which does allow some front to back movement on the mounting which would help place the hitch over the axle.

The third option is installing the Reese Goose Box Pin Box on my coach and use the GN hitch as designed. I'm not crazy about this option since it is fairly expensive and I think it would be harder to hitch up to a GN hitch as compared to the 5th Wheel hitch.

The fourth option is installing a rail system...either over or underbed.

So I'm hoping I can have my cake and eat it too, but I'm really hoping to get some additional input before making a decision. Either way I'm going to have to some up with a solution before we travel again in a few weeks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also any input on why this GN hitch is not mounted on the axle.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

(Whose truck is this?.......I'm Chuck----inside joke😀)

image.jpgimage.jpg

We have a B&W hitch and are very pleased with it. Others give it good reviews. A good place to get one is ETrailer. People there are very knowledgeable and may offer you other ideas and solutions. Also Etrailer has good videos.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We bought a 2013 GMC with the turnover ball. Went ahead and bought the B&W Companion hitch to use with it. The hitch is very well made. What we've found is we had to set it at its lowest setting due to the height of the truck, and out rig isn't quite level. Second, we experienced some slight chucking, even though we have a 5th Airborne pin box. Not sure what adjustment is needed to fix that just yet. Third, the jaws wrap around and are fairly thick, so the pin has to be "just so" for the jaws to release to unhitch. If the truck/trailer is unlevel, this becomes a little more difficult.

Would I change hitches due to these? No. The clean bed really is nice. Was very helpful during our recent moving out of our house :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
So...... We opened up the wallet and purchased a 2015 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab Shortbed that was equipped with B&W Turnball underbed hitch. I like the idea of not having rails in the bed, but I also like the performance of our Airbox 5th Wheel hitch (which requires rails), that we used in our old truck.

The second option is the B&W Companion 5th Wheel hitch which does allow some front to back movement on the mounting which would help place the hitch over the axle.

The third option is installing the Reese Goose Box Pin Box on my coach and use the GN hitch as designed. I'm not crazy about this option since it is fairly expensive and I think it would be harder to hitch up to a GN hitch as compared to the 5th Wheel hitch.

The fourth option is installing a rail system...either over or underbed.

So I'm hoping I can have my cake and eat it too, but I'm really hoping to get some additional input before making a decision. Either way I'm going to have to some up with a solution before we travel again in a few weeks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also any input on why this GN hitch is not mounted on the axle.

Since you have the shortbed, do you think you might need a slider hitch?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
We bought a 2013 GMC with the turnover ball. Went ahead and bought the B&W Companion hitch to use with it. The hitch is very well made. What we've found is we had to set it at its lowest setting due to the height of the truck, and out rig isn't quite level. Second, we experienced some slight chucking, even though we have a 5th Airborne pin box. Not sure what adjustment is needed to fix that just yet. Third, the jaws wrap around and are fairly thick, so the pin has to be "just so" for the jaws to release to unhitch. If the truck/trailer is unlevel, this becomes a little more difficult.

Would I change hitches due to these? No. The clean bed really is nice. Was very helpful during our recent moving out of our house :).

We have not had any issues hitching or unhitching while not completely level truck or trailer. Hmm... Also as far as chucking we really have nothing to compare to but I do have the moryde pin and air bags on the truck and only time we have issues is if the roads are rough or expansion joints are really pronounced.

chasdvorak

Hey Bernie.....GREAT to hear from you and we're keeping good thoughts for you!!! I watched the video and can only hope that I get my cheap looking Chevy to shine that bright (NOT...its lookin mighty fine).

So at this point I'm still digging for info but I don't think there is anything that will allow me to use the Gooseneck with my Airbox. I'm leaning toward the Companion hitch....anyone using that on a 2015 Chevy 3500? I'm thinking I'll have to put it at the lowest setting like the TravelTigers to get the BH leveled right. I haven't experienced any problems with the Shortbed to this point, but I know the best of RVers have had problems....

Thanks for the advice and I appreciate any additional thoughts,

Chuck

GOTTOYS

I have a B&W Patriot hitch which is B&W that is made to use with std. rails, in my 2015 Silverado. This is the best, easiest to use, smoothest riding hitch I've tried. I would go with a B&W Companion in a heartbeat. By the way you Dodge guys better start to stockpile parts while you can still buy them...Sorry Bernie, one good turn deserves another...Don

chasdvorak

I spoke with Curt and they ruled our Option 1 being the 16310 rail adapter. The Airbag hitch has a bottom plate covering the bags and the Curt adapter center support frame rises several inches so it would not fit. This eliminates the easiest/cheapest option but I'll keep looking.

Thanks,
Chuck

IronJ

If you have the turnover you can use the companion but can't use a revolution or sidewinder..you can use the reg airborne, more ryde or trail air

I have a pullrite 24k super glide WITH capture plate and factory mount and rails for a dodge for sale tho??..I'm in west Texas. ..thing is 350lbs...no shipping. ..lol..if interested shoot me a mssg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

IronJ

Sorry you said chevy..but the hitch and plate would still work...not with your b &w tho...you would need the pullrite super rails...

I'm not a fan at all of the goose adapters...some people love em??

IronJ

My airborne chucked too with my companion...once I got the air bag right it was much better...but I still think the mor ryde was better for chucking. ..wish they made a 21k rated trail air tri glide..seems like best of both...but I never tried one...