New Truck - Hitch Puck Adapter or New Base?

LBR

Getting ready to set the new truck up with my Curt Q24 hitch, and am curious of any serious downfalls with the Reese picture window puck adapter. After quite a bit of reading in this forum regarding the adapter, it seems most were very comfortable and happy with using it when upgrading their old rail style hitch to the puck system.

Having done the math for height difference of my trucks in addition to the extra ~2" the adapter will add, I can adjust at the hitch head to base if necessary. The other option is to not use said adapter and install a Curt dedicated puck base instead and "scrap" my present rail bases. Both options are in the same ballpark pricewise.

So has anyone who has used this style of adapter regretted it and wished they had opted to change out their hitch brand of base mounts for the puck system instead? If so, your reasoning behind it? TIA.

rdufek

What is the new truck you are getting? I switched from Dodge to GMC. Had the Curt Q20 with the picture frame for my Dodge. Upon switching to my GMC the picture frame does not work on it. Curt sells just base mounts legs so the entire hitch did not have to be replaced. Cost me about $300 to change over and got rid of the picture frame. Absolutely love it!!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When I went to the puck system I too changed the legs on my Curt hitch.
Hitch drops right into the holes in the puck system.
I would go this route rather than the picture frame.

Peace
Dave

John T Bettencourt

A friend of mine just put a Curt 16 in his new GMC 2500 and is not happy with it. The hitch pin on his trailer is very sloppy when hooked up. Is this common with Curt hitches ?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
A friend of mine just put a Curt 16 in his new GMC 2500 and is not happy with it. The hitch pin on his trailer is very sloppy when hooked up. Is this common with Curt hitches ?
Mine is quiet.
Might be a good idea to check the size of the pin or call Curt for advice.
Is he absolutely certain it is the hitch and not the mounting?

Peace
Dave

BLR

What is the new truck you are getting? I switched from Dodge to GMC. Had the Curt Q20 with the picture frame for my Dodge. Upon switching to my GMC the picture frame does not work on it. Curt sells just base mounts legs so the entire hitch did not have to be replaced. Cost me about $300 to change over and got rid of the picture frame. Absolutely love it!!!
F450 is our new truck

Sent from BLR Logistics

BLR

Ours is a Q24 and it has been very quiet.. the only problem we have had is... Don't laugh.. drum roll. Please..
Locks all 6 tires up, if on a Sharp turn in downtown Willets CA, the break away cable gets caught under Q24 hitch..
Oh the memories

Sent from BLR Logistics

TxRoadWarrior362

Getting ready to set the new truck up with my Curt Q24 hitch, and am curious of any serious downfalls with the Reese picture window puck adapter. After quite a bit of reading in this forum regarding the adapter, it seems most were very comfortable and happy with using it when upgrading their old rail style hitch to the puck system.

Having done the math for height difference of my trucks in addition to the extra ~2" the adapter will add, I can adjust at the hitch head to base if necessary. The other option is to not use said adapter and install a Curt dedicated puck base instead and "scrap" my present rail bases. Both options are in the same ballpark pricewise.

So has anyone who has used this style of adapter regretted it and wished they had opted to change out their hitch brand of base mounts for the puck system instead? If so, your reasoning behind it? TIA.

Installed my new Reese 30156 adaptor yesterday. Traded in the "Red Rocket" for a 2012 F350 King Ranch with other towing goodies.47k miles.

Ordered the adaptor from Amazon. Had some assembly, and had to lower my hitch. Still fits under my Roll & Lock. Headed out tomorrow for a short trip.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 90

LBR

Thanx for everyone's input. I have elected to go with a new Curt base setup rather than the Reese adapter frame for numerous reasons...

** A cleaner look
** Elimination of the 4 extra attachment points with the decades-old style of "securing pins"
** Less chance of squeaks. weak points. or looseness between adapter and old hitch base that could cause chucking
** Load pull is on pucks only rather than on pucks and top of adapter
** Cost is approx the same
** New truck is 1" higher at pin area than old truck, so why add another 1.5" with adapter height just to have to adjust head lower to compensate.
** Great excuse to add 150 more "Road Trip" miles to the brand new truck to pick up new base rather than receive adapter from Amazon (we should have another 600 more before our first pull anyway)
** Did I mention a cleaner look?... Lol

Yes....all relative minor reasons, but they totally outweigh my only one positive reason for going the adapter route instead.

Case solved and closed thanx to this great site of knowledge and the ability to search, read, and learn from past threads.

Last edited:

LouK

Replaced our 2008 F250 with a 2018 F350 Super Duty 4x4 with a 6 3/4 foot box with the factory installed fifth wheel prep package and 20 inch wheels. Have a 2012 Heartland Greystone 27RK fifth wheel trailer to tow with the truck. Need information on options for a fifth wheel hitch as per the following measurements I took: Ground to pin = 52.5 inches. Ground to bottom of trailer overhang over box = 62.5 inches. Ground to bed of truck = 39.5 inches. Ground to top of truck box = 60.5 inches. Distance from back of cab to center of prep package = 37 inches.
The fifth wheel trailer is about 13,000 pounds loaded/maximum.
The corners/sides of the front caps of the fifth wheel are recessed/cut away to permit more room for turning/maneuvering.
It has 15 inch wheels.
My questions are:
1. Can I get away WITHOUT a sliding hitch….the front cap of our fifth wheel trailer has the corners recessed to permit maneuvering….BUT not sure if there is adequate distance between the king pin and the back of the truck cab for maneuvering.
2. The fifth wheel needs to sit level when towing AND have adequate clearance (about 5 inches) between the top of the box and the front portion of the trailer that sits over the box. I do not want to change the suspension of the trailer to increase its height.
3. What brand and model of hitch do you carry and recommend that would meet our needs?
4 If I need to raise the fifth wheel what options do I have? Will it take a 16 inch to replace the 15 inch rims? Should I change the pin box?

Thank you. Look forward to hearing from you.

CoveredWagon

Replaced our 2008 F250 with a 2018 F350 Super Duty 4x4 with a 6 3/4 foot box with the factory installed fifth wheel prep package and 20 inch wheels. Have a 2012 Heartland Greystone 27RK fifth wheel trailer to tow with the truck. Need information on options for a fifth wheel hitch as per the following measurements I took: Ground to pin = 52.5 inches. Ground to bottom of trailer overhang over box = 62.5 inches. Ground to bed of truck = 39.5 inches. Ground to top of truck box = 60.5 inches. Distance from back of cab to center of prep package = 37 inches.
The fifth wheel trailer is about 13,000 pounds loaded/maximum.
The corners/sides of the front caps of the fifth wheel are recessed/cut away to permit more room for turning/maneuvering.
It has 15 inch wheels.
My questions are:
1. Can I get away WITHOUT a sliding hitch….the front cap of our fifth wheel trailer has the corners recessed to permit maneuvering….BUT not sure if there is adequate distance between the king pin and the back of the truck cab for maneuvering.
2. The fifth wheel needs to sit level when towing AND have adequate clearance (about 5 inches) between the top of the box and the front portion of the trailer that sits over the box. I do not want to change the suspension of the trailer to increase its height.
3. What brand and model of hitch do you carry and recommend that would meet our needs?
4 If I need to raise the fifth wheel what options do I have? Will it take a 16 inch to replace the 15 inch rims? Should I change the pin box?

Thank you. Look forward to hearing from you.

Have you looked at the Andersen Ultimate hitch. I have a Silverado2500 hd with a 6.5 ft box and haven’t had any problems. The Andersen hitch actually give you an extra 8 or 9 inches.

NYSUPstater

Tho not a given, but if we decide to upgrade to a 350 dually w/ factory 5th wheel prep, it looks like Demco makes a "adapter" base so we can use our B&W Patriot hitch. This hitch is a rail mount and really don't want to get another new hitch as I just bought this one last year and is in it's lowest setting. The dually has 17" tires and our 350 SRW has 18" tires. What's everyones take on Demco? Extra height w/ this base? Anything else I may be missing?

ILH

Tho not a given, but if we decide to upgrade to a 350 dually w/ factory 5th wheel prep, it looks like Demco makes a "adapter" base so we can use our B&W Patriot hitch. This hitch is a rail mount and really don't want to get another new hitch as I just bought this one last year and is in it's lowest setting. The dually has 17" tires and our 350 SRW has 18" tires. What's everyones take on Demco? Extra height w/ this base? Anything else I may be missing?

I have a brand new 2018 Ram 3500 DRW. My existing DB3 hitch is rails-based. When I was researching my options, I called Hensley - they referred me to Demco for the picture frame adapter. If they are referring people to Demco, can't be bad.

My dealer threw in a MOPAR picture frame adapter - I have no idea how good it is. Still too **** cold here to play with the hitch. Waiting for a warmer day to play with the installation, ride height, etc. Wish me luck.

SNOKING

I have a brand new 2018 Ram 3500 DRW. My existing DB3 hitch is rails-based. When I was researching my options, I called Hensley - they referred me to Demco for the picture frame adapter. If they are referring people to Demco, can't be bad.

My dealer threw in a MOPAR picture frame adapter - I have no idea how good it is. Still too **** cold here to play with the hitch. Waiting for a warmer day to play with the installation, ride height, etc. Wish me luck.

I have the Demco 6099 picture frame in my 2015 RAM 3500 SRW SB with a B&W manual slider. Works fine, however I have 270 pounds in hitch. I think the Demco RAM picture frame is better than the Reese one. It can be released from the pucks with the hitch still in place. I lift the whole hitch/picture frame out with a HF 800 lb electric hoist.

Chris

ILH

Still **** cold here, but the sunshine is wonderful. I pulled out the RAM OEM 30K hitch (slick lock down system). Lifted easily out of the bed. Next I installed the RAM OEM picture frame. It dropped in easily - although the pin system is a bit clumsy. Next I dropped my BD3 Hensley hitch into place. The first test was to see if the tonneau cover would sit over the empty hitch (for when I'm not towing)... and yes, it does! Next, securing the hitch... the pins securing the BD3 to the picture frame won't go through. For some reason the holes aren't aligned. I ran out of time and patience today...

Next steps include using a punch to ensure the holes are aligned and trying the pins again. Also, perhaps taking some weight off of the hitch and wiggling the pins into place....

I'm even considering the option of scrapping the whole picture frame and BD3 and staying with the OEM hitch - and putting a air ride pin box on the trailer-end of things. When my frustration settles down, I'll be thinking differently again...:(