New vehicle for 2017 Keystone Hideout

I am looking at an Expedition XLT for pulling my 2017 Keystone Hideout. I am getting mixed messages from car salesman (surprised?). I was told that the 2021 Expedition XLT will tow 9000. It is a rear whell drive with 4 wheel drive. They said it has a Heavy Duty Tow package. It has 3.5 Ecoboost V6 and a 3.73 Avle Ratio. Some other salesman told me a similar vehicle was rated to tow 6500. Trailer weight is 7720. What is the opinion of people on here for towing capacity?

Dahillbilly

with the 3.73 I'd be surprised if it's rated for 9000. Check the specs yourself, me I'd go bigger towing capacity

Dahillbilly

Thanks Dahillbilly. What kind of gear ratio should i be looking at. Not familiar with that.
depends on how heavy the load majority of 4 wheel drives will have 3.43 or there abouts. Less fuel mileage but more towing capacity. Lot to do with where you will be towing , mountains , hilly go with higher gearing(3.73 4.10 are common). Flatland towing you can go with lower ratio. I have a Chev Duramax 3500 4x4 with 3.43 gearing towing 16k-17.5k. Good luck

hoefler

Keep in mind with gear ratios, the higher the number, the lower the ratio. Ex: High-4.55, 4.10, 3.73, 3.42, 3.23, 2.92-Low
To tow, you want the lowest ratio possible, 3.73, 4.10 or somewhere around there. 3.43 is a high gear, for highway running empty, better fuel milage. For a diesel vehicle, it is doable, for a gas vehicle, I wouldn't want anything higher than a 3.73. Fuel milage will suffer for the lower gear none towing, but you will have better performance towing with the lower gear.

Last edited:

Hollandt

I am looking at an Expedition XLT for pulling my 2017 Keystone Hideout. I am getting mixed messages from car salesman (surprised?). I was told that the 2021 Expedition XLT will tow 9000. It is a rear whell drive with 4 wheel drive. They said it has a Heavy Duty Tow package. It has 3.5 Ecoboost V6 and a 3.73 Avle Ratio. Some other salesman told me a similar vehicle was rated to tow 6500. Trailer weight is 7720. What is the opinion of people on here for towing capacity?
Don't rely on anything the salesperson tells you. The towing specs should be available on a Ford website. The towing package typically increases the towing capabilities and the 4 wheel drive package typically decreases it. As mentioned above the Higher numerical gear ratio (ie. 3.73 is better than 3.43) it has the better for towing but typically worse for fuel economy when not towing. Tire size will enter into the equation as well. The larger the tires the higher the numerical ratio you need.