Newbie question about tank filling

TravisJen

We filled our fresh water tank for the first time and was wondering how do we know when it's full? I've looked around the forum here and people keep mentioning vents but I looked all under the unit and can't find any. I filled it until it was making some weird gurgling sounds and then got nervous I was going to break something lol (lots of mention on here about the underbelly filling with water when filling tanks). There appears to be a vent hole right beside the fill port. Will water come out of there when it's full?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Of the different tank sensor systems displayed on the monitor, the fresh water tank seems to the more accurate one. If there are kinks or dips in the fill line, it may stop taking water before the tank is full. The small hole you mentioned is the air vent for the fill line.

olcoon

That's the vent hole so air can come out as water displaces it inside the tank. That gurgling noise you heard is common, the tank is getting full, or there is a bubble in there that is restricting the water. Without running back & forth between the hose & the tank sensor, the only way to tell when it's full is when water starts coming out, usually from the same hole you have your hose in. It's like when you fill your vehicle with fuel, when the tank starts getting full, you can hear a gurgling noise. Sometimes the there is too much line and an air bubble forms and the tank will act like it's full, when it actually isn't. Mine has done this a few times & it was only 1/3 full. I have a short section of tubing that I attach to the water hose & put it inside the fill tube. If water starts coming out & I know it's not full, then I've got that bubble. I'll turn off the hose (I've got a valve on the end of the hose) take the tube off, & put it up against the vent hole & blow through it to clear the vent. One time will usually do the trick, then reattach the tube & continue filling the tank. I probably should tear into it & see if I've got too much hose back there, or need to reroute it to prevent the bubble, but I haven't been able to find that "tuit" (round tuit)! It hasn't been that much of an issue because most of the time we camp with full hook-ups.

TravisJen

I've heard people mention that it will come back out of the the fill hole but how is that possible with the hose threaded onto it?

ParkIt

Never forget the first time DH wanted to fill the fresh water tank. I let him run around the unit checking the monitor - from a across the garden where I was working - and finally saw him walk around with a wet spot on the front of his pants.
Bout died laughing then walked in the shed, took out the "RV bin" that has a stiff plastic pipe about 2' long with a screw mount head for the hose to attach and put in the tank to avoid 'back splash'. I told him it was in the shed but I guess he likes to learn his own way ;)
Everyone else has pretty much covered it, the gurgling is normal just like filling up a gas tank.

jnbhobe

I use a washing machine hose with one end cut off and just stick it in the fill and turn on the water. When it overflows I know its full. I also know my vents are clear because I have moved them all up and took out the slack.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've heard people mention that it will come back out of the the fill hole but how is that possible with the hose threaded onto it?

Unless yours is fitted differently, the gravity fill port does not accept a hose screw end. The hose is just "stuffed" in.

rgwilliams69

For about $20 you can get a cheap in-line water meter (typically used for monitoring lawn watering) that will show you exactly how many gallons you have put into the tank. We do a lot of camping where we have to take all of our water, fuel, power, etc. at racetracks so it is critical that I get our tank full. Works very well. I have a 100 gallon tank and have watched the inside water meter at 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, etc. and there is an error range (i.e. 2/3 lights well before 66 gallons in many cases) so using the meter ensures that I get every last drop in there.

olcoon

Travisjen,
Unless things are different on your coach than ours, the only screw on fitting for the fresh water is the city water inlet. The fill for the fresh water tank on ours is just a hole you put the hose/tube into to fill the tank. Like John said above, things may be different on a Torque.

sjs731

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369174016.877441.jpg
In line water meter from Amazon. Works great. Especially if you only want a certain amount in the tank.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbbls59

If you have the 4 way valve, the only way to tell if the tank is full is to watch the overflow spouts. My vent by the water inlet does not even have a hose fastened to it. The tank vents out the overflow spouts. There are two of them, one on each side. One is right above the rear tire and the one on the curb side is farther back. Both are right against the frame. I ended up putting shut off valves on mine because too much water was lost when traveling. I could lose half a tank on a full days drive. I just have to remember to open them when I start using water. I liked the old gravity fill system the best.

TravisJen

We do have the 4-way valve which has one threaded inlet with a check valve so it can't be gravity fed. When the water comes out of the overflow spouts, does it cause any water damage to the underbelly? Makes me nervous to think I'm supposed to just let water pour down the frame.

Hoser43

2006 Landmark Shenandoah- new to us as of last fall. I flushed the glycol from winter and filled the water tank in the normal fashion by placing hose into tank fill receptacle- eventually water started coming out one of three pipes at rear underneath-equivalent to in front of fireplace. Why is water coming out there? After filling, and traveling-we lost 1/3 of our water out of that pipe. Should I put a valve on it, cap it- or what? There doesn't seem to be a lot of information from Heartland and the manual is filled 2/3 by lawyer talk about what all a sane safe person should be doing.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that you are loosing your water by siphon action from a vent tube while traveling.
That was happening in some older models.
Some people have put a valve on that vent. Open the vent when filling and using, and close it when traveling.

Peace
Dave