Newbie Question

tizeye

Upgrading from tent, but starting 'light' with travel trailer. Getting rid of Mazda 3 for either a Jeep GC diesel or the 1500 Ram diesel. Trying to avoid the larger heavy duty with Cummings as will be primary driver over wife's Fiat. Looking at the North Trail or Wilderness and trying to keep it under 30', around 25 preferable and stay at least 2000lb (dry) below the rated tow for the vehicle. A question hit me as driving over the 4th. Are we required to pull into the truck weighing stations along with the 18 wheelers? While this is a light duty rig, I see some posts with some heavy duty rigs that state their actual weight that I presume was on those scales, and wonder if they pulled involuntarily just to weigh for their own information, or if it was mandatory.

danemayer

Are we required to pull into the truck weighing stations along with the 18 wheelers?
The general answer is no. The weigh stations are for commercial trucks engaged in commerce.

wino2

Hi tizeye,
Welcome to the Heartland Family! Danemayer is correct, you do not need to pull into the truck scales, but be aware of the lower speed limit while towing. The state patrols, and locals love to write citations.
Have fun with the new TT, try to hit some of the rallies. They are educational and a lot of fun.

tizeye

Thanks. Particularly like the "commercial trucks engaged in commerce" rationale as sounds better than didn't think we needed too.

Sans1

In case you've seen other RVs waiting in line at the scales, according to another post I saw a while back, these are likely new RVs in transit to the dealership and in this case are considered commercial and that is why they need to stop.