Newbie with questions on length restrictions

My wife and I have been researching RVs for the last couple months. We visited a dealer yesterday who had a large selection of Heartland products and we really like a couple ElkRidge models -- the 30RLT (35' length) and the 39RDFS (43' length). If floorplan was the only concern, then the 39RDFS would be our clear choice. But in researching RV length restrictions for each state in the US, it seems that a rig this big would be a problem in some states.

My understanding is that the Heartland model number represents the length behind the tow vehicle. So the 39RDFS would extend 39' (roughly). A Ford F350 crew cab long bed is 22' long (plus a couple inches), so the total overall length of the rig would be around 61' (22 + 39), possibly 62'. That would be fine for most states that have a length limit of 65' or greater. But a google search of RV length restrictions shows that several states (13 including the District of Columbia, if I counted right) have a limit of 60' or less. Some states are really bad, for example Mississippi has a limit of 53'.

So I'm basically looking for confirmation that my thinking is correct. If we go with a large model like the 39RDFS, we will be over 60' long and hence be unable to travel through some states, right? Does anyone have any first-hand experience of getting hassled by state law enforcement because their rig was over the limit in length?

I don't want to buy a large unit if I'm shut out of traveling in a substantial number of states.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

jimtoo

Hi Nimzoblanca,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Personally I have never heard of any rv'er being stopped or questioned about the length of their rigs.

Enjoy the forum and hope to see you in a Heartland unit.

Jim M

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello and welcome to this great forum and hopefully the Heartland Family.
I don't know the regulations in every state so my comments won't hold much water.
It is my understanding that if you are legal in your home state you will be legal wherever you go.
And I have never heard of anyone being hassled because of length.
Others will chime in here I'm sure.

Peace
Dave

Yes that's what I'm referring to. Those limits show up in other google searches too.

It just seems a little strange that RV manufacturers would produce a large RV (over 40' long) that if coupled with the typical (and properly sized) tow truck (~22' long), you end up with a rig over 60' long which is over the limit in over a dozen states. Seems like the state laws are "consistently inconsistent" LOL (we used that phrase at work to describe ourselves).

mlpeloquin

Except for the District of Columbia, no one would stop you for a foot or two. I would never drive through the District of Columbia with an RV.

avvidclif

Yes that's what I'm referring to. Those limits show up in other google searches too.

It just seems a little strange that RV manufacturers would produce a large RV (over 40' long) that if coupled with the typical (and properly sized) tow truck (~22' long), you end up with a rig over 60' long which is over the limit in over a dozen states. Seems like the state laws are "consistently inconsistent" LOL (we used that phrase at work to describe ourselves).

You are calculating the entire length of the TV and with a 5er it doesn't work that way. The nose is in front of the hitch pin (sometimes) and the pin is sitting over the TV rear axle, not the back of the TV. Mine rv is 38', nose to tail(actual). Hooked to my TV I am 53' overall. I have a short bed (6.5') so add 1.5 for a long bed then 5' more for your 43' trailer and that's 59.5'.

Where's the problem?

wdk450

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 longbed crewcab SLT and a 2008 Heartland Bighorn 3670RL. The truck measures over 22 feet nose to tailgate, and was too long to fit in my residential car garage. In my travels i have had occasion to take a Washington State Ferryboat with the rig, and they charge big rigs by the foot. My rig measured 57 feet.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I met a couple several years ago that were in a 45' Prevost MH, pulling a top fuel dragster in a trailer. They said that they had been ticketed before for being over length. They didn't know the exact length of their rig, but the RV park advertised 80' sites and their outfit went from one end to the other in the site.

Gary521

The ONLY place that I ever had an issue with length was the tunnel going into Zion National Park. Here, if you don't fit between the lines, you don't go thru the tunnel.

You are calculating the entire length of the TV and with a 5er it doesn't work that way. The nose is in front of the hitch pin (sometimes) and the pin is sitting over the TV rear axle, not the back of the TV. Mine rv is 38', nose to tail(actual). Hooked to my TV I am 53' overall. I have a short bed (6.5') so add 1.5 for a long bed then 5' more for your 43' trailer and that's 59.5'.

Where's the problem?
Yes, I'm aware that a 5er is measured differently. The model I'm looking at is 43' long. 39' will extend past the end of the truck (roughly 4' is in the bed of the truck and is not counted). So with a 22' truck, plus 39' extending past the bumper of the truck (43 - 4), I'm guesstimating the entire rig will be 61-62' long.

It sounds like I'm getting concerned over nothing as just about everyone is saying that there's nothing to worry about. No problem! I just want to make sure I've got all angles covered (no pun intended).

Thanks everyone for the responses.

avvidclif

You're still not following me, you won't have 22' of truck in front of the RV. Measure from the front bumper to the rear axle of the truck. That's how much will be added to the RV length.

mlpeloquin

The ONLY place that I ever had an issue with length was the tunnel going into Zion National Park. Here, if you don't fit between the lines, you don't go thru the tunnel.

Been through that tunnel. With the car we were towing behind the class C we had at the time. Watched buses having to go through the center of the tunnel to get through. I am glad we did it with the car at the time. Fantastic park to go to and see. I hope to see it again driving my truck next time not towing my fifth wheel.

My GMC Denlali is about 21' 6". Subtract 51" from the center of the king pin to the end of the bumper. That makes 17' 4" for the truck and about 32' or 33' for the fifth wheel. So a total of 50' 4" max on a 35' fifth wheel with 21' 6" truck. So subtract 6' from your total for a good ball park number. Now actually measure it. I think you will be 59' to 59' 6".

macjj

Approached the gate at Zion, was refused entry (did not fit between the lines). Later found out I was too tall. Always good to know what was ahead. Had to turn around, resulted in an additional 100+ miles and over two hours. The first two numbers in the model "used to" be representative of the length, download the specs first. The specs are usually short -I have a 3070RL, specs state 34.9ft, actually measured 36ft

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

macjj

Post sent, but not finished. My height with accessories is 13 5 feet. I put a large number on the nose so I can see it in my rear view. I have encountered many road conditions have posted length, width and height restriction. I have a installed a towed trailer behind me, so my overall length is 60ft. Many states have length restrictions, so I would suggest you check them out. Most states honor the restrictions set for your primary state for temporary stays. I have encountered inspection stations for "all towed vehicles" in Montana, however they were closed when I passed. Most do not apply as stated earlier. Thus far we have visited 40 of the US states with our rig. Have not traveled Mexico or Canada as yet, still have the Northeast to concur

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

esscobra

Calif in years past would stop rvs with trailers and race car rigs- non commercial - and ticket for being over length- ten the went to having to get special permits- I thik they have since change laws or not enforcing anymore- but I am no longer on involved in that and this was years ago- but that was only state we ever had issues

Chpusmc

RV's are non commercial so dont have to cross any scales, so are exempt.
Well, this info is completely wrong in California.

I'm going to expand on this subject a little. If you have out of state plates and you are hauling a monstrosity of a 5th wheel, you are probably safe UNLESS, you are driving on a posted road with either length or weight restrictions (black and white signs = regulatory signs and shall be followed. Black and yellow signs are advisory and you SHOULD follow those).

Yes, the CHP can measure your combination. Yes, the CHP can either weigh you on the spot (if they are a commercial unit) of direct you to the closest scale to weigh you.

If there are black and white signs prohibiting over length or overweight vehicles you need to find an alternate route or you SHOULD have a lot of money in your checkbook. Overweight tickets ARE NOT CHEAP!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk