News Story

danemayer

The Potterville Dispatch
January 12, 1947

A drifter was killed by police last night on Potterville’s main street after assaulting Mary, Potterville’s librarian. Burt the Cop came upon the scene where a crowd had gathered, and when the drifter ran, Burt pulled his revolver and shouted a warning to bystanders. The drifter was felled by several shots and died on the snow-covered sidewalk.

Others on the scene reported that the drifter was acting irrationally. He claimed to be Mary’s husband, George. Mary, as everyone in town knows, is an “old maid” having never been married.

Ma Bailey, who lives nearby, said that the drifter had come to her door earlier in the evening, claiming to be her son, George. Ma Bailey’s only son, Harry Bailey, died at age 9 when he fell through the ice on a local pond. “He said he knew my brother, Billy Bailey and had seen him recently. I told him it’s a lie. Bill Bailey has been in an insane asylum for years. It wouldn’t surprise me if this maniac had escaped from that same asylum.”

Nick, proprietor of the bar at the edge of town said that he had thrown the drifter and a strange companion out of his bar earlier that evening. “He was either drunk or out of his mind. And the guy with him was even stranger. He claimed to be an angel and was talking nonsense about angels getting their wings.”

Ernie, a local cab driver added that late in the afternoon he had taken the drifter to an abandoned house where he was confronted by Burt the Cop. “Burt tried to take him into custody right there, but somehow the guy wiggled out of Burt’s grasp and got away.”

Mr. Potter, our town’s leading citizen, issued a statement late last night. “These are uncertain times and we can only be thankful that Burt the Cop did his duty and protected the town from this poor young man who obviously had a warped mind.”

The drifter, still unidentified, will be given a pauper’s burial in Potters Field.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Been watching "It's a Wonderful Life" again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk