No more Bighorn dealers within 200 miles of SEATTLE! Where to get service

SeattleLion

Seattle is the 15th largest city in the United States. There are no Bighorn dealers anywhere close. Theire's one in Portland OR (a MUCH smaller city) which is over 150 miles away. I need to get bearing service before we travel this year. We also have to get the microwave/convection install fixed. Unbeknownst to us, they installed a replacement without connecting the exhaust fan to the outdoor duct. So exhaust recirculates from the front.

Any suggestions on where us orphan BH customers in the Seattle area can get service? My original dealer (Fife RV) would probably do it, but they have so much staff turnover I worry that they no longer can be trusted.

Thanks,
Bob

Westwind

If you contact the factory they might be able to recommend a Rv repair service that they have used in the area for warranty work even though yours is not under warranty anymore.

MCTalley

It will take two people and three to four hands, but you can most likely switch the fan yourself. If you want directions, shoot me a PM.

kdubinwa

Keep me posted on what you find Bob. Options for Bighorn local sale and service were quite limited IMO... just one of the reasons I'll be bringing home a new 3160EL at the end of February from a few states away... 2200 miles away actually.

olcoon

Bearing service can be done by any good garage, it's just like a car.

On top of that usually they'll be cheaper, and have a quicker turn around. I get mine done at a local trailer (utility type) place & last spring it cost me $35.00 a wheel.

ksucats

For an authorized Heartland dealer I have to travel 150 miles as well. Makes for a long 300 mile round trip and it never seems like they can get the stuff done in one day - have to make two trips. This was a problem with my SOB as well. I started going to another, much closer SOB dealer, who was super in working with Forest River on my other coach; so far I've been taking mine back to the original dealer (all warranty work so far) but I don't expect Heartland to object to using this other dealer if need be. Heartland has proven to be very customer oriented on work. Now, for bearings, hmmm, I'm a little more cautious. I took my 2nd 5th wheel ( SOB ) to our local Goodyear dealer's Heavy Truck/Commercial Vehicle facility. First thing I saw was their guy jacking up my SOB with a floor jack placed on the axle almost dead center of the coach. Manager told me they did that so that they could lift both wheels (left and right side of the same axle) at one time and do both wheels. To say I was not happy is an understatement. They swore no damage was done but I made such a ruckus that they agreed to have the alignment checked and done. They did and they paid for the alignment because they did bend the axles. So, after that long story, I now watch them like a hawk.

FWIW - some may have seen (or will see) my post regarding Lippert Nev-r-lube bearings. I had those on my third coach (my LMS is the fourth 5th wheel over the years) and while I liked them, I found that they do go bad, and when they do, it can be catastrophic. I was lucky in that it was found when new tires where being put on - the tires had begun wearing very badly on the inside of the tire. When the trailer was lifted one of the tires almost fell completely off. When we pulled the hub apart the inside looked like someone had ground up several lead pencils and put the graphite in there.

Bohemian

New York City is pretty big. Closest Bighorn dealer is 100 miles away.

150 miles from our home.

You are not alone.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
To obtain warranty service close to you call Heartland Customer Service and get a mobile RV service company pre-authorized to perform warranty service on your rig. Then call the Mobile Servicer to come and work on your rig. You will have to pay for the trip charge but with the pre-authorization Heartland will cover the warranty repair. Keep in mind not all Mobile Servicers will work with Manufacturers for warranty repairs.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Bob,

Your local Les Schwab can handle the bearing pack and will be cheaper than an RV Dealership anyway. A very reputable repair facility in Fife is Wescraft RV. You will need to get prior approval on any warranty work from Heartland, but other than that minor issue, they are fantastic to deal with. We have had two of our prior rigs in their facility and their work was done right the first time and the results were better than it was before the damage. Hope this helps.

Rod

kdubinwa

Helps me a lot Rod! I added a contact for Wescraft RV and they will likely be my go-to service shop -- they are only about 5 miles from my toy garage where I will park my 5ver.

Bob,

Your local Les Schwab can handle the bearing pack and will be cheaper than an RV Dealership anyway. A very reputable repair facility in Fife is Wescraft RV. You will need to get prior approval on any warranty work from Heartland, but other than that minor issue, they are fantastic to deal with. We have had two of our prior rigs in their facility and their work was done right the first time and the results were better than it was before the damage. Hope this helps.

Rod

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Glad I could help. I am not sure if they do everything or not. We had some tire blowouts on our previous two toy haulers and had some extensive body damage and damage to our kitchen cabinets and floors. They made it look better than new and made it stronger than new.

Rod

Helps me a lot Rod! I added a contact for Wescraft RV and they will likely be my go-to service shop -- they are only about 5 miles from my toy garage where I will park my 5ver.

kdubinwa

Understood. I checked their list of services and it seems very extensive... from low level infrastructure all the way up to appliances and trim. We shall see (hopefully not!).

Glad I could help. I am not sure if they do everything or not. We had some tire blowouts on our previous two toy haulers and had some extensive body damage and damage to our kitchen cabinets and floors. They made it look better than new and made it stronger than new.

Rod

WBG

WBGavin
Seattle is the 15th largest city in the United States. There are no Bighorn dealers anywhere close. Theire's one in Portland OR (a MUCH smaller city) which is over 150 miles away. I need to get bearing service before we travel this year. We also have to get the microwave/convection install fixed. Unbeknownst to us, they installed a replacement without connecting the exhaust fan to the outdoor duct. So exhaust recirculates from the front.

Any suggestions on where us orphan BH customers in the Seattle area can get service? My original dealer (Fife RV) would probably do it, but they have so much staff turnover I worry that they no longer can be trusted.

Thanks,
Bob

We have used Westcraft in Tacoma, and they are great, but we are closer to Poulsbo RV in Everett and they have done the majority of our warranty and non warranty work. They do a great job, their prices are fair, and are very easy to work with. Have not interacted with any of the other PNW Poulsbo dealers, but would assume you would find a similar experience there.
WBG

Crumgater

We bought our Elkridge from Baydos - also in Fife, and they did some warranty work for us... just one afternoon's worth. They get some terrible service reviews, but they did just fine for us.

We're up in Kirkland, so Fife & Baydos are an hour+ away and through TRAFFIC for us.

Open Road RV in Monroe carries some Heartland brands. We got their help when we tried to DIY install the 4-point ground control leveling system (which is working fine now, LOVE it!). They didn't impress me as being the sharpest stick in the box, but everything seems to have been done properly, and is still holding together. :) They told us they were Heartland Authorized, but we never got that in writing.

I thought some of the Mt. Vernon dealers were also selling Heartland products?

-Tina