No power to refrigerator - RESOLVED

CAllred

Hello Heartland RV owners,
I woke up this morning and I don't have any power to my refrigerator, living room tv, and bedroom TV. All other power working good.
The GFCI next to the the microwave has no power ( i pull it out and check it with a meter)

The breaker on the 120 v panel is not tripped.

The weird thing is the green inverter light wont light up, it blinks green and beeps over and over in I hold it down.
before it was staying green all the time, even when connected to shore power.

Any suggestions would really help since my refrigerator is not cooling even off 12 volt power.

Thank you in advance!
Christopher Allred

danemayer

Re: No power to refrigerator

Hi CAllred,

First question for you: what trailer do you have? Model/Floorplan/Year

Second question: does the bathroom outlet work?

Third question: do you have generator prep (automatic transfer switch)?

Have you checked the power pedestal to see if you have both power legs?

Is your shore power cord securely connected to the trailer?

CAllred

Hi Dane,
I removed the panel inside the cabinet where the refrigerator is/was plugged in, plugged it into another outlet with a x-cord. Refrigerator is at least running now.

First question for you: what trailer do you have? Model/Floorplan/Year -
3650 BH

Second question: does the bathroom outlet work? Yes

Third question: do you have generator prep (automatic transfer switch)? I believe so? not really sure though

Have you checked the power pedestal to see if you have both power legs? No

Is your shore power cord securely connected to the trailer? Everything is running fine on shore power except that one circuit, which seems to be tied to the inverter in some way.

danemayer

Hi Dane,
I removed the panel inside the cabinet where the refrigerator is/was plugged in, plugged it into another outlet with a x-cord. Refrigerator is at least running now.

First question for you: what trailer do you have? Model/Floorplan/Year -
3650 BH

Second question: does the bathroom outlet work? Yes

Third question: do you have generator prep (automatic transfer switch)? I believe so? not really sure though

Have you checked the power pedestal to see if you have both power legs? No

Is your shore power cord securely connected to the trailer? Everything is running fine on shore power except that one circuit, which seems to be tied to the inverter in some way.

The inverter for the refrigerator should be on its own circuit breaker, separate from the TVs. It's possible the inverter powers an outlet near the microwave and refrigerator, but as far as I know, that's not been done on Bighorns, only on Cyclone and Road Warrior (different plant). All that boils down to the failure being broader than the inverter.

Take a look at the circuit breakers in your main panel. On the far left you'll see a pair of 50 amp breakers that are joined so they trip as a single unit. Going to the right, the first breaker is on Power Leg 1, the second is on Power Leg 2, the third on Leg 1, the fourth on Leg 2, and so on. See if you can determine which breakers power the things not getting any power. If they are all on the same Power Leg, you've lost one leg - probably Leg 2 because Power Leg 1 is needed to fire the transfer switch (assuming you have one).

You'll want to inspect the shore power cord and receptacles at both ends for heat damage. Take voltage readings at the pedestal. The Leg 1 to ground should read 120V (or thereabouts). Leg 2 should also read 120V to ground. Reading L1 to L2 should be 240V.

If your shore power cord is not securely connected at the trailer end, you can lose 1 leg.

It's also possible to lose a power leg at the transfer switch or at the back of the circuit breaker panel.

Our Electrical User Guide may prove helpful in explaining and showing pictures.

CAllred

Hi Dan,
Your insight proved to be invaluable in resolving the issue! Thank you so much for all your input and advise.

As it turns out the shore power plug going into the RV was actually slightly loose I believe. I pulled it completely out re-plugged it back in, secured it with the plastic nut (which appears to be flimsy at best) and when I came back in everything worked!

Thank you for taking time out of your Sunday to help!
Hope you enjoy the rest of your day.
Regards
Christopher

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Christopher,

Glad you do me your problem.

My I recommend an upgrade to your plug issue, and you'll never have this problem again!

Check out the SmartPlug! We love ours. They are also a supporter of the Heartland Owners Club and were a vendor at the National Rally.

https://smartplug.com/rv/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk