Non Sliding Fifth Wheel Hitch

dennych1

I would like to hear from people that use a non sliding fifth wheel hitch with a SB pickup. I would like to know if you regreat not having a sliding hitch for your Heartland fifth wheel. I just ordered a BH3160 last week.

Thanks
Dennis.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I went with the superglide after talking to a fellow rv'er who got in a pinch and found that turning tighter than 88* cost him $4k in damages to his truck cab!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happykraut

I pull a BH with a sliding Reese hitch in a SB, but have not used the sliding function in the last 3 rigs and two Rams. You won't need a slider, but you do have to pay close attention on tight turns. Just my 2c worth.

szewczyk_john

So far you have not heard from a non-slider owner but I have the trailer saver BD-3 and I purchased the slider mechanism for it. I have only used it as a slider on 3 occasions. On all three occasions I could have made due without it and made a couple extra passes back and forth to maneuver. It sure was nice to not have to do that. I have seen the damage done to tow vehicles that turned to tight and crushed the cab so I spent the extra money to avoid the possibility. It can be done but there is that risk.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've been towing Bighorns for six years and do not have a slider in my short bed GMC.
Never needed it.

Peace
Dave

BIGBAM

Pulled a Keystone for 2 years and a Bighorn with a SB F250 with non sliding B&W. Got in some tight places and really close to the cab a few times, but nothing I couldn't get out of. Now have a LB so no worries at all.

azbigfoot

After reading and watching a few horror stories I didn't want to have to worry about potential problems and went with the Pullrite Superglide.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I pulled our Sundance (sold) for many years without a slider. I bought a slider a year ago and used it once. ( slider For sale $325 like new)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
With the '05 SB Chevy I never needed it. Have had 2 L/B trucks after that . I hated all the clunking and banging from the slider part itself. I scraped the slider part and installed the non-slider uprights. Noise all gone now. If you go to some crazy places that are hillly, rough and need to turn 90* + all the time. You might need one.

Westwind

I have had a Trailer Saver BD3 non slider with a GMC Sierra short bed, to date we haven't had a problem and have pulled in and out of some tight campsites. I am careful and aware of tight turns but so far no worries.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
My previous truck was a SB Chevy. I originally had a slider but switched to a non slider. No problem with our Bighorn.