Norcold 1210 Dead after 1.5 yrs

avvidclif

Following the other poster my Norcold 1210 died at 18 months. No error codes, no leakage, nothing except won't cool either on AC or LP. Tried turning it off overnite, no go. The freezer will get down to 56 and no lower, fridge 70's (temp in RV). Since I'm going camping this weekend I'm going to get a 5.6 cf dorm fridge to use until I figure out what to do. I would LOVE to get a Samsung but it's too tall, depth and width OK. My opening is 68" tall, Samsung is 69 7/8". And to make it worse they are on sale at Lowes until tomorrow for under $1k

Meanwhile back at the ranch I have a very nice and expensive Stainless Steel pantry in the kitchen. Grrrrrr

Contemplating the Amish cooling unit which has a 3 yr warranty, installed price under $1500 in Memphis, TN

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Have you checked to see if your Norcold 1210 is on the recall list?
You can get some recall information HERE.

Peace
Dave

avvidclif

The recall is to install a high temperature sensor which mine already has so it's not on the list. Thanks for trying.

sjandbj

Following the other poster my Norcold 1210 died at 18 months. No error codes, no leakage, nothing except won't cool either on AC or LP. Tried turning it off overnite, no go. The freezer will get down to 56 and no lower, fridge 70's (temp in RV). Since I'm going camping this weekend I'm going to get a 5.6 cf dorm fridge to use until I figure out what to do. I would LOVE to get a Samsung but it's too tall, depth and width OK. My opening is 68" tall, Samsung is 69 7/8". And to make it worse they are on sale at Lowes until tomorrow for under $1k

Contemplating the Amish cooling unit which has a 3 yr warranty, installed price under $1500 in Memphis, TN

I looked into the Amish units but in talking to several people about changing the cooling unit myself since I am so far away from the their factories It made since to modify the cabinet and replace it with a residential unit. Fact of the matter it was cheaper to replace it than fix it. So I have a almost new unit sitting in my shed wondering what I am going to do with it now. You should have the room on the top of the cabinet to cut out the style 2 inches. At least on mine I did.

Steve

avvidclif

I looked into the Amish units but in talking to several people about changing the cooling unit myself since I am so far away from the their factories It made since to modify the cabinet and replace it with a residential unit. Fact of the matter it was cheaper to replace it than fix it. So I have a almost new unit sitting in my shed wondering what I am going to do with it now. You should have the room on the top of the cabinet to cut out the style 2 inches. At least on mine I did.

Steve

You have a different slide. From the floor of the slide to the inside top is 68" The outside of the slide top-bottom is 71". Is there anything on the bottom of the Samsung that can be removed, feet, rollers etc to get it below 68"????

mlpeloquin

Have you replaced the Norcold with a home stile refrigerator? If so, any metal recycling place will or should take the appliance.

Engine5

Ours has gone out just outside of warranty, So I have been doing research and found a video on (Fords Rv refrigerators) showing a build up of moisture in the foam insulation on the rear of the box. You can see water marks running down the lower portion of the unit. So I pulled ours out and sure enough mine was saturated. The theory is the water is acting as a conductor not allowing the heat to transfer properly, while I am still learning it makes since. So I have pulled the cooling unit off and have dried it out just waiting on the thermal mastic to arrive to reinstall the cooling unit. (Just to note I had no error codes and no signs of a failed unit other than it quit cooling). I think this may be more of an issue if you are in humid climates as I am in Florida and the unit is not sealed properly. My plan is once I have the cooling unit installed is to rino line the exterior to insure I have a good seal. Once done I will give an update on how it worked.( I will have about $100 tied up in doing this)

avvidclif

Please keep me posted as I haven't figured out which way I'm going at the moment. I would love to replace it with a nice home unit but can't find one that will fit. Fixing the one I have is the most likely scenario but when and where is up in the air.

Sarge

Please keep me posted as I haven't figured out which way I'm going at the moment. I would love to replace it with a nice home unit but can't find one that will fit. Fixing the one I have is the most likely scenario but when and where is up in the air.

Would that require an inverter and a battery upgrade?

The option for a residential on my unit included both of these items.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Is there not a 2 year warranty on appliances in the RV? I would check with Heartland and dealer to see if they can help with this.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I talked with a guy at Thetford and he said Heartland only purchases the Norcold with a one year warranty.

avvidclif

Would that require an inverter and a battery upgrade?

The option for a residential on my unit included both of these items.

It would if:
I did not have a generator or I planned on trips longer than 3-4 hrs. Currently all our trips are short ones.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I talked with a guy at Thetford and he said Heartland only purchases the Norcold with a one year warranty.

I would call Heartland anyway to ask them what assistance they can afford you. Maybe they will warranty it if it is a know issue.

sjandbj

That is the same story I got when I called about my 1210. Heartland gives a 2 year warranty on the landmark units but the rest only have a 1 year from Heartland and whatever the manufacture offers. Norcold only has a 1 year warranty so I was screwed. I find it odd that most of us only use the rig 2-4 weeks a year and the refer is turned off the rest of the time. I don't know how Norcold can say that it is proudly made in the USA when it is such a poor product.

Engine5

I love most everything about our Bighorn ( ours had a 2 year warranty on the fridge) but my experience with Heartlands customer service and willingness to step up to the plate and help with issues is less than desirable. Thankfully our dealer did. I believe this is an industry standard not just limited to Heartland

avvidclif

Re: Norcold 1210 Dead after 1.5 yrs UPDATE

OP Update: The fridge was left off for over a week and took a camping trip being used as a pantry. On a whim I decided to try again. It's been on for 3 days and is running perfectly. Set on 5 the freezer on the left is 7 deg and the fridge is 38.9.

Any ideas other than something shook loose? But now can I trust it?