Norcold 1210 not keeping cool

Tghoover

Hi all,

I have the Norcold 1210 refrigerator, that has been working fine. This morning woke up to freezer at 42F and refrigerator at 57. Diagnostics show cooling fin temps at 46-47F. Diagnostics also show everything functioning. I have switched to gas with no different results. Thermistor is in the correcct location as well. Anyone have any thoughts? Could the thermistor be failing and give a false temperature?

Roller4tan

Mine has been sporatic now since last March. Left AZ in April hoping the trip to Michigan would "burp" the unit to get the flow working in the coils. About half way back it did indeed begin to freeze in the freezer and keep things cold in the fridge. Heading west now the unit is starting to flake out again. I had added another fan in the back to help cool the fins. Anyway, I'll be replacing it for residential model at a 1/3 of the cost, including dedicated battery and inverter.

Tghoover

I have an update to this:

So I have gone to a Norcold distributer. Purchased a new thermistor, and it was a lot shorter in wire length then the original. Put it in and it worked for a while, replaced it again and it worked until December. Then I purchased another one from a different distributer. This time I got the right length wires, so it sits in the first fin (from the right side). Turned it on, and low and behold it worked... for a while. Now I have it working intermittently. Sometimes it works, and other times the fin temp gets to 39 or 40 F. I live in Utah so the outside temps rarely get above 40. If I power doen the unit for a couple of minutes and turn it back on, it will cool the fins and I get some frost build up on the fins, then it will shut down again. Reading other posts, could be the fans at the top of the unit?

Looking for any suggestions on this. Oh ya, if I go into the diagnostics screen I am getting no abnormal errors.

Thanks

lynndiwagoner

You're about where I was when I just chucked the thing. I added 3 fans on the bottom cover and two on the top cover. Still no help. Took the leap and went with Samsung RF18. Problem solved. I did notice that there was water coming out from the insulation around the fridge condenser coil when I got the thing out. I don't think this is normal. Two batteries and a MSW inverter handle all of a day's traveling. I don't boondock. Good luck.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Ditto on installing the Samsung RF18. Did this four years ago and have never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

I had the same problem, until I got in the habit of making sure the doors were shut all the way. Most of the time an extra push will yield another "click", especially on the bottom of the doors.

carl.swoyer

I have an update to this:

So I have gone to a Norcold distributer. Purchased a new thermistor, and it was a lot shorter in wire length then the original. Put it in and it worked for a while, replaced it again and it worked until December. Then I purchased another one from a different distributer. This time I got the right length wires, so it sits in the first fin (from the right side). Turned it on, and low and behold it worked... for a while. Now I have it working intermittently. Sometimes it works, and other times the fin temp gets to 39 or 40 F. I live in Utah so the outside temps rarely get above 40. If I power doen the unit for a couple of minutes and turn it back on, it will cool the fins and I get some frost build up on the fins, then it will shut down again. Reading other posts, could be the fans at the top of the unit?

Looking for any suggestions on this. Oh ya, if I go into the diagnostics screen I am getting no abnormal errors.

Thanks
On my 1210 norcold the fridge wasn't sensing temperature. The fix for this was replacement of the circuit board. I also found the thermostat on the outside was bad. I did remove the aluminum baffle at the top and added two fans blowing out.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited: