Northern IL to Galveston TX next Jan

CPDDet

While we usually snowbird in Florida, next year we will be heading down to Texas.

Undecided if it would be better to cut the angle and shorten the drive or to head straight south to I-10 and then go west.

Unfamiliar with winter weather on a southwest route.

Anyone have experience and advice?

Dave

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Weather can be unpredictable, but depending on when you depart doing a southwestern route can be fine. We left west MI in early Nov. and headed south to Indy, then southwest down through IL,MO, and AR crossing into TX at Texarkana. We are currently hanging around east of San Antonio and loving it.

We only stayed a night or two until we made AR and then slowed our pace considerably.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CPDDet

Thanks uncledon,

We dont leave Illinois until the first week of January, that's why I'm a bit apprehensive about a southwest route.

Heading to Florida I take the route through Birmingham instead of Atlanta and hit Florida west of Tallahassee. Then travel east across the panhandle and south to Punta Gorda.

Will have to think long and hard about traveling south in January. Might be best to make a beeline for New Orleans and then take I10 west.

Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We've been down that way a number of times traveling from Wisconsin in late December and early January. Weather can be iffy. Last year we had an ice storm while we were in Tunica, MS and had to spend a couple extra nights. Also had ice in Victoria, TX. All part of the travel game.
If you are traveling I-10 east consider taking hwy 124 south at Winnie, TX. Then take hwy 87 and hop on a ferry with your rig and head for Galveston Island.

Peace
Dave

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Thanks uncledon,

We dont leave Illinois until the first week of January, that's why I'm a bit apprehensive about a southwest route.

Heading to Florida I take the route through Birmingham instead of Atlanta and hit Florida west of Tallahassee. Then travel east across the panhandle and south to Punta Gorda.

Will have to think long and hard about traveling south in January. Might be best to make a beeline for New Orleans and then take I10 west.

Dave

I would agree Dave. Best to drop straight south while roads and weather allow instead of taking a chance and getting caught in something nasty.

CPDDet

Thanks to all for the tips!
I was wondering about the ferry. I understand it only runs at high tide. Is this true? And if so, how often does it run?
We pull a 35 foot 5th wheel, will the ferry take that?

We are staying on Mustang Island. Is there an alternative to the ferry if needed?

I think I'll plan on taking the straight south route. Can always allow an extra day or two for the extra miles it would take

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Thanks to all for the tips!
I was wondering about the ferry. I understand it only runs at high tide. Is this true? And if so, how often does it run?
We pull a 35 foot 5th wheel, will the ferry take that?

We are staying on Mustang Island. Is there an alternative to the ferry if needed?

I think I'll plan on taking the straight south route. Can always allow an extra day or two for the extra miles it would take

Ferry accepts 80’ long, 8.5’ wide, 13’ 6” high
It’s free, runs 24/7 weather depending

Mustang island is a good days drive from Galveston. Can take another free ferry at Port Aransas or road trip from Corpus Christi north

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We have been on it with our rig which is pushing 40 feet with its rear rack.
Here is a link the the ferry information. Galveston Island Ferry
An alternate route would be I-10 to Houston then 59 south to 77 at Victoria. Grab 181 at Sinton, get to Aransas pass, hop the ferry there.
Or stay on 181 through Corpus Christi to 286 then to 358 to the island.

Peace
Dave

KyleB83

I am 20 minutes from Galveston..

It was Sunny and 75 yesterday.. its now 41 and cloudy..

If there is any chance of Ice/Snow/Sleet, we shut Houston down lol

CPDDet

Thanks to all for sharing your experience.

After doing a bit of research we have decided on:

Pingree Grove, IL (home)
to
Whittington, IL (Whittington Woods CG is always our first stop)
to
Tom Sawyer CG in West Memphis, AR (our usual second stop)
to
Baton Rouge LA area CG
to
Beaumont, TX area CG
to
Victoria, TX area CG
to
Gulf Waters on Mustang Island (probably through Corpus Christi and over the causeway as Gulf Waters is only 12 miles north of the causeway)

Now to research RV parks near Baton Rouge, Beaumont and Victoria.

Dave & Ronna

wdk450

I hope the January Illinois weather co-operates. You may want to add in "fudge" days, or bad weather closer alternate campgrounds in your planning. Most probably you won't have problems with campgrounds having enough spaces, just campgrounds even being open.

Good Luck!!!

CPDDet

Our first stop, in Whittington IL, is the same one we have used for our Florida snowbird trips.
It's open year around and I drop the camper there in November for storage until we pick it up in January. Winters are a bit milder there, about 6 hours south of our home.

We will do 1night there and get down to Grenada, LA on day 2, and be in Livingston LA on day 3.

Making a few changes to the route as I type this. Tom Sawyer in West Memphis can be iffy depending on the Mississippi River levels. They were closed on our way down to Punta Gorda FL this year. Had to skip that stop and go all the way to Birmingham AL.

Going to skip using them on next year's trip to Mustang Island.

david-steph2018

Thanks to all for sharing your experience.

After doing a bit of research we have decided on:

Pingree Grove, IL (home)
to
Whittington, IL (Whittington Woods CG is always our first stop)
to
Tom Sawyer CG in West Memphis, AR (our usual second stop)
to
Baton Rouge LA area CG
to
Beaumont, TX area CG
to
Victoria, TX area CG
to
Gulf Waters on Mustang Island (probably through Corpus Christi and over the causeway as Gulf Waters is only 12 miles north of the causeway)

Now to research RV parks near Baton Rouge, Beaumont and Victoria.

Dave & Ronna
or
When we go from Dauphin Island next Jan. 2020 out to Goodyear Az. we are thinking about the KOA in Baton Rouge for a couple of nights. Then we plan on spending 2-3 weeks in Lake Conroe and head on west. So let us know which campground down in Baton Rouge is good to stop at for 2-3 nights if you will please.

CPDDet

Had to make some changes to our route and will not be staying very close to Baton Rouge. Will be about halfway between Baton Rouge and Houston for 2 days.

Here is the final route, most reservations already made and will be staying 1 night at some stops and 2 nights at others.

Departing from Pingree Grove, IL

1.Whittington Woods Campground,Whittington IL

2. Frog Hollow Campground, Grenada MS

3. Lakeside RV park, Livingston LA

4. Hidden Lake RV Park, Beaumont TX

5. Dads RV park, Victoria TX

6. Gulf Waters Beach Front RV Resort, Port Aransas TX (10 weeks here and then back the same route)

Dave