Not getting "Warm Fuzzies". Please help restore my faith.

I would like to thank everyone for the encouragement and responses. I feel much better about the purchase. I will pick her up on the 12th and after a thorough PDI will start my new adventures with my Brand New 3875FB. Thank you!!

Good Morning Campers,

First allow me to introduce myself, Im Rob, Active duty Navy in the Hampton Roads area. I have been a full timer for over a year and am currently in a 2009 Montana 3000RK 10th Ann.

Yes, i know you are probably wondering how and why I am here on a Heartland forum.

Recently I was bitten once again with change and upgrade idea and of course Montana being a first choice for research, i started there. Not too happy with the 2016 models i started researching other "luxury" brands. This in when i discovered the Heartlands brand. I searched dealerships and floorpans. I looked at options and what was standard. I even just recently went to an RV convention.

Long story short. I am now the proud new "sale Pending" owner (have not done the PDI) of a 2016 Bighorn 3875FB. Normally i would be chomping a the bit for the "move-in" date but now I'm not feeling it.

I did all my research on the product line and read all the brochures and manufacture info on their website, it was not till i started reading review from owners that i started to have doubts. That is why i am here. Please help me restore my faith before I made a 70K mistake. I am a full timer and this will be my home. it is imperative the livability is as sound as i am accustomed too. I keep reading nightmare stories of customer service that rivals "Dell" and poor quality in the manufacturing process.

I can't tell you I'm a little scared.

Thanks,
Rob.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Heartland makes great units. I believe you will not find anything wrong any more than you would with a Montana. Probably less. Keep in mind that regardless which brand you go with most of the components are made by the same manufacturer i.e. Dometic, Lippert, Norcold, Thetford, etc. These components are warrantied by their individual manufacturer. The thing I can attest to personally is Heartland RV bends over backwards to keep their customers happy. We had our previous Landmark worked on out of warranty by Heartland at no charge and I know many others have too. Big Horn is a wonderful product and I have seen many living in them full time. Good Luck and welcome to the Heartland Forum.

jimtoo

Hi Highwaydreamer, Rob,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You always hear about the problems, but very rarely hear about the good. Some go overboard if they have a problem just looking for more things to gripe about. Heartland is not perfect, as none of the others are either, but Heartland has a really good reputation for taking care of their customers. The forum has tons of information and hundreds of great folks that help with suggestions and information if you do have a problem.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

kowAlski631

We full-timed in our BH for a year traveling coast to coast round trip twice. No problems, can't say that, but we did address our problems when they cropped up rather than allowing a small problem to become huge and costly. We still do extended trips in our BH and use it as our hotel.

We would do exactly what we did in purchasing our Heartland again. I'll wager that you saw bunches of bad reviews and not that many good ones, right? Great reason for that - people with no problems are too busy enjoying their RV to write, but the ones with issues vent loudly.

At the end of the day, it's your decision, but (with both of us having served in the AF and understanding where your concerns come from) all we can say is don't go in expecting perfection. If you do, you'll be disappointed. Be realistic and you shouldn't be disappointed. Thank you for your service!

danemayer

Rob,

Keep in mind that the appliances and subsystems used in RVs are common across most all of the brands. You'll find Dometic and Norcold refrigerators. Most of the A/C units come from Dometic. Suburban and Atwood furnaces and water heaters. Shurflo pumps. Onan generators. Lippert frames. Lippert and Dexter axles, suspension and brakes. Lippert leveling systems and hydraulic pumps.

Many of the problems people report here have to do with failures on these appliances and subsystems that are just as likely to fail in another brand. For example, last year Dometic had an air conditioner issue that cut across all brands.

There are thousands of owners participating on this forum and the vast majority are happy with their RVs and with Heartland. Unfortunately Heartland is not perfect, and dealer performance can be hit or miss. So there are some who are unhappy. Heartland owns this forum and is confident enough in their products that they allow owners to talk about problems and even to vent when they're unhappy. But the big picture is that the vast majority are happy owners.

Heartland is also pretty easy to work with when you need support. If you're handy, and have a problem where a simple part replacement will fix the problem, often Heartland will agree to send you the part directly rather than have you drop the rig at a dealer and wait. Heartland is also flexible about approving the use of non-Heartland dealers and independent shops or mobile servicers for warranty work. You just need to get prior approval.

There are an enormous number of people who are delighted with their Bighorn units. I'm sure you will be too.

MTPockets

We're full time now four years and are extremely satisfied... We did have warranty microwave replacement and awning motor, both by manufacturer, not a Heartland problem... We've travelled from FL to WA, AZ, IN and everywhere between... You'll love your Big Horn.

campcrew

Rob,
We have had our Heartland Bighorn for going on 3 years. I recently posted a list of ALL the issues we have had. While they are frustrating because most are minor issues that just should not be happening in a $$$ RV, they are still only minor issues. We spent a year looking at fifth-wheels and I was and still am pleasantly surprised by how well thought out the design and workings of our Bighorn are.

JJnVA

Rob, First and foremost, thank you for your service. Second, you are going to love your Heartland Big Horn! Third, if you purchased your Big Horn from Chesapeake RV Solutions like we did, you are in good hands. We purchased our BH 3610 in 2010 and had issues with 2 sets of defective Lippert axles within the first 2 years. A Lippert issue, not Heartland. Tim and his crew took great care of us in replacing the axles promptly and Tim is always available to talk over the phone about anything RV related. He is a great resource.
Since DH is a handyman, he does most of any maintenance and repair work on our BH himself. He works directly with Heartland to get the parts and the staff are knowledgeable, quick to respond and ship things out. And, as HOC members there is a 10% discount!
As Anytime travelers, we have been to 33 states (almost to the West Coast) and lived on the BH with our 2 cats for up to 3 months at a time. We love living in our BH while traveling the USA and are extremely pleased with the quality of our Heartland home away from home. I must add that the HOC rallies have added another quality dimension to our RV travels. The friendships we have made and the resources for information about anything RV related are priceless. Plus we have such a fun time!
Look forward to seeing you down the road enjoying your new Heartland home.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Rob, studies have shown that in every group or organization 15% of the members will always be negative, 15% will be positive, and the rest of us fall somewhere in between. We have had an Elkridge, and now a Silverado and have been very satisfied with both. There have been some issues with both but nothing that would make me give up on Heartland. I do 90% of the fixes and have only had our dealer take care of the major issues. (2 were self inflicted) To me the dealer or repair facility are the most important part of the process and we have been very lucky to have a great dealership to work with.

GOTTOYS

If you liked your Montana, you will like a Big Horn even more. They are very similar except that the Big Horn is backed by Heartlands great customer service...Don

ksucats

Rob: Thank you for your service. Not sure what 'Sale Pending' means but if you have not already signed something, the Yeti package is something I strongly recommend. Dual pane windows, heating pads on the holding tanks and, given our cold weather camping, of most importance to me, 12 volt heating tape on the water line from the fresh tank to the water pump. The dual pane windows are, in my opinion, more than worth the cost of the Yeti package.

As for us, we took possession of a Landmark 365 this past Fall. We came over from a Cedar Creek which we loved but was getting 'long in the tooth'. We looked at Montana, Cedar Creek, Redwood, Mobile Suites, and several others but in the end the quality of the coach and the HOC group swung us to Heartland. We have had several issues with things but our dealer has been super and is working to resolve those that I can't handle. We had an issue, while away from home, with the slides not closing tightly and Heartland approved a mobile tech to come out and adjust them -- it did take two phone calls - they first gave us the names of authorized dealers in the area to call to see if they would do the service (that way we didn't have to pay first and then be reimbursed) and then the second to let them know that no one was available. Upon hearing this they immediately approved the mobile tech. No bouncing it up to a higher supervisor, waiting on 'Engineering, to evaluate it. The gentleman taking the call had the authority to approve the work right then. Again, the first call was an attempt to limit our out-of-pocket expenses - unfortunately we were in Albuquerque for the balloon fiesta and all the dealerships were booked up with customers who wanted things done while 'back home'.

Would we buy another - most definitely. Do we want it to be problem free - of course. But we know that there will be things that break and Heartland has proven to be a champ in working with us and our dealership.

Again, thank you for serving. Hurrah!!

MTPockets

I thought dual pane Windows and Yeti were separate options.. At least when we ordered ours they were two separate line items. We ordered both.

Thanks for serving
We own a Elkridge from heartland and we love the lay out of it but we have had a lot of issues with ours but the dealership would not follow through on promises. But we have repaired everything ourselves. Make sure you check out the dealer your getting it from before buying. We do not full time in ours. We do not travel with it either. It stays on lot at lake. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TomMontague

Rob, thanks for your service and thank you for your interest in Bighorn. I'm Tom Montague the Bighorn GM from Heartland. I've been following the posts from our forum users and I think they have done an excellent job giving you the good stuff and the not so good stuff.

One of our greatest resources at Heartland is our owners and the forum they've created. As you can see they have a lot of knowledge and are always willing to help out in any way they can. They also don't mind telling you like it is.

We are working very hard to produce the best possible product at an affordable price. My staff and I are also doing our best to listen to the consumer and to build products that not only hold up under everyday use, but incorporate the features people want and need.

While my team and I are working hard on Bighorn, our management team at Heartland is working on the future. We see "service" as the thing of the future and a way we can separate ourselves from the competition. We recently built a multi-million dollar customer service facility at Heartland to service customers who are passing bye or who would like someone from the factory working on their coach. It has a lounge, camp sites and pet area. We believe the way Heartland continues to win business is through happy customers and we are investing in our infrastructure to make sure we are one of the best at it.

All RV's have issues - ours are no different. The things that make a difference are the manufacturer who made it, the dealer you bought it from. It sounds like you have done your homework and I think you've made a great decision.

I hope you stick with it and I hope to see you at one of our many rallies throughout the country.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask anyone on the forum or even myself. I watch the forum all the time - now that show season is in full swing I will try and answer questions and contribute more.

Talk soon,
Tom Montague
Bighorn & Oakmont GM

kowAlski631

Rob, thanks for your service and thank you for your interest in Bighorn. I'm Tom Montague the Bighorn GM from Heartland. I've been following the posts from our forum users and I think they have done an excellent job giving you the good stuff and the not so good stuff.

One of our greatest resources at Heartland is our owners and the forum they've created. As you can see they have a lot of knowledge and are always willing to help out in any way they can. They also don't mind telling you like it is.

We are working very hard to produce the best possible product at an affordable price. My staff and I are also doing our best to listen to the consumer and to build products that not only hold up under everyday use, but incorporate the features people want and need.

While my team and I are working hard on Bighorn, our management team at Heartland is working on the future. We see "service" as the thing of the future and a way we can separate ourselves from the competition. We recently built a multi-million dollar customer service facility at Heartland to service customers who are passing bye or who would like someone from the factory working on their coach. It has a lounge, camp sites and pet area. We believe the way Heartland continues to win business is through happy customers and we are investing in our infrastructure to make sure we are one of the best at it.

All RV's have issues - ours are no different. The things that make a difference are the manufacturer who made it, the dealer you bought it from. It sounds like you have done your homework and I think you've made a great decision.

I hope you stick with it and I hope to see you at one of our many rallies throughout the country.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask anyone on the forum or even myself. I watch the forum all the time - now that show season is in full swing I will try and answer questions and contribute more.

Talk soon,
Tom Montague
Bighorn & Oakmont GM

And, Rob - that's the difference. Heartland does care. Thanks, Tom

Roller4tan

Thank You for your service.

(There are an enormous number of people who are delighted with their Bighorn units. I'm sure you will be too)
My feeling as well, as I am a happy customer who lives in my Bighorn. Maintenance is key, whether it's a house or a trailer subject to the stresses of rolling down our "wonderful"
:eek: US highways.

ksucats

Rob: As Terry (or June) pointed out - the dual pane windows are an option outside of the Yeti package. Sorry if I led you astray. I still recommend both.

rpotter

I own a 2015 bighorn (factory ordered) and recently had a friend a few sites over from mine that bought a mobile suite deluxe $$$$$$$$ and he was shocked how many things I had in mine that was comparable to his and more. I also had the paneled ceiling (he didn't) larger shower with an ensuite door, slightly larger 39' than his, all for a lot less money. He also liked my backsplash in the kitchen and bathroom better and finally we both had very similar theatre seating although mine is powered. So basically you get a lot for your money with heartland. Sitting in Arizona as we speak snow birding full time and loving ours. Few minor issues of which I have fixed myself. Thus far fewer issues than a 2010 keystone I also bought new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NHCelt

We have also ordered but not taken delivery of our Bighorn 3270 RS and are trading our 2010 Carriage...which has been a great rig. We too have some trepidation about going from a problem free rig to a new fifth wheel that will likely have some issues to work out, as they all do. I am heartened by the replies here, and impressed by the response of Mr Montague to the OP. I have been involved in many owners forums for other brands and this level of involvement from management is something I have never seen. Add to that a lengthy telephone conversation I had with another senior manager with model related questions and I am convinced that any problems I may have with my new Bighorn will be handled capably by Heartland...and that isn't something that I have found to be the norm in the RV industry. In fact, it is exactly the opposite of my experiences with some other brands.

Kudos to Heartland for their commitment to the customer!

Talk soon,
Tom Montague
Bighorn & Oakmont GM

My wife and I bought a 2016 3875FB last June and this is our fulltime residence. The two issues we have on this unit is you can hear a lot of the outside noises, traffic, car doors, people talking and the Bedroom A/C is very loud.....It seems well insultated as it uses about the same amount of propane when using the furnace and the A/C's run about the same as our previous Blackwood. Again I can only compare this to our previous 2015 Blackwood. besides that we have been real pleased overall with the unit.

Terry