Odor around stove/oven area

FL-JOE

We have noticed an odor for the past month or so around our Furrion oven/stove. It is not really a sewer or grey water smell, more like a musty smell. I have spent a couple days checking the following:

- Roof vents for all tanks are clear.
- Cut an inspection hole in underbelly. All is dry.
- Replaced cheap sink drain vent with a new Oatey Sure-Vent
- Inspected around water heater, all is dry.
- Inspected 1/2 bath plumbing, no leaks, all is dry.

The odor is only in the kitchen area. You can smell it more when opening the oven and just in the kitchen in general.

Anyone else experience this in a new Heartland 4006 model, or any model with these Furrion appliances?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I suggest you purchase a small gas detector and sniff around the oven. They are not expensive.
I say this because a few years ago we had a bad odor in the camper. It didn't smell like propane but it was a strange odor. Turned out that a valve on the stove was ajar and it was propane. Odd that the since replaced cabin propane detector did not alert. It was well within its projected life span.

Peace
Dave

FL-JOE

Thanks Dave, I really didn’t think about that but it makes sense. After reading your message I shut off both propane bottles. I’ll see what the odor does in the next 24 hours. Also probably will order detector if I can’t a portable one locally. Thanks!

wdk450

You can get an inline propane pressure gauge ( https://www.amazon.com/Champs-Unive...ocphy=9031267&hvtargid=pla-470730929162&psc=1)
and do a comprehensive propane system leakdown test.
1. Turn off all interior propane appliance valves.
2. Turn off both propane tank supply valves.
3. Attach, the pressure gauge inline with 1 tank's connection hose. Turn on that tank's valve.
4. Note the pressure reading on the gauge.
5. Turn OFF the valve at the top of the tank with the pressure gauge attached.
6. Wait 5 minutes and look at the pressure gauge. If the gauge reading has decreased you have a propane leak in the system.

FL-JOE

Thanks Bill, I hope I won't need to go through all of that now.

Within 30 minutes of shutting down both propane bottles the odor was gone. We have been odor free since. I have dug out the manuals and installation guide for the Furrion stove top and oven. Today I will purchase some liquid leak detection and probably a plug-in propane detector. It looks like Lowe's carries both of these products.

I am suspecting a connection needs tightening somewhere.

wdk450

The leak down test is an ABSOLUTE VISUAL indication that there is/isn't a leak in the propane system; not "I smell something, then I don't think I smell something" (NO slight intended). While in warranty, I had a dealer's professional mobile tech come to my storage site on a suspected propane leak smell, he forgot to bring his gauges, told me "he was pretty sure it was sewer gas". I finally bought the propane tank gauge, did the leakdown test (failed), took the rig to a good RV servicer (Allied Trailer Supply in Sacramento), who spent 2 hours tracing down the leak in a bad pipe elbow.

BTW, the way the RV industry mounts the propane detector AWAY from all propane sources (stove, refrig, furnace, water heater) on the rearmost wall of the trailer is idiotic. While I had this noticeable smell propane leak, my new (then) detector NEVER went off. I finally checked the propane detector with the gas from an unlit butane lighter, and the detector worked then.

2nd BTW: My propane system leak in a new trailer is indicative of a lack of post-assembly basic systems testing of a potentially dangerous system in the RV.

FL-JOE

Pulled stovetop. Turned on propane and started spraying soapy water on fittings for stovetop and oven. No leaks. Finally started spraying metal feed pipe going to both oven and stovetop. Found hole in pipe going to stovetop. When the factory assembled they ran it across the sharp edge of the oven below, so after about 4,000 miles of it rubbing on the sharp metal it created a little hole.

We are extremely lucky this poor workmanship by Heartland did not kill us both!

I replaced with a slightly longer coated metal flexible feed pipe and it was very easy to run it so it wasn't touching anything. Did a complete soapy water test of all pipes and fittings before re-installing stovetop.

I need to find the right person to reach out to at Heartland. I believe this is a serious issue and I suspect more models than my 4006 were shoved out of the factory in the past 12 to 24 months with these types of dangerous connections. Wondering if this shouldn't be reported to the NHTSA immediately. I would hate it if some unsuspecting new owner was injured due to this type of workmanship and apparent lack of factory supervision.

MissHK

Pulled stovetop. Turned on propane and started spraying soapy water on fittings for stovetop and oven. No leaks. Finally started spraying metal feed pipe going to both oven and stovetop. Found hole in pipe going to stovetop. When the factory assembled they ran it across the sharp edge of the oven below, so after about 4,000 miles of it rubbing on the sharp metal it created a little hole.

We are extremely lucky this poor workmanship by Heartland did not kill us both!

I replaced with a slightly longer coated metal flexible feed pipe and it was very easy to run it so it wasn't touching anything. Did a complete soapy water test of all pipes and fittings before re-installing stovetop.

I need to find the right person to reach out to at Heartland. I believe this is a serious issue and I suspect more models than my 4006 were shoved out of the factory in the past 12 to 24 months with these types of dangerous connections. Wondering if this shouldn't be reported to the NHTSA immediately. I would hate it if some unsuspecting new owner was injured due to this type of workmanship and apparent lack of factory supervision.
Hey there! We are the (un)happy new owners of a 2022 cyclone 4006 and have had some significant (and potentially deadly) issues with our trailer directly related to downright negligence. Was wondering whatever happened with this issue you had, and if you reported it to the NHTSA. I did not know that organization existed, and plan on reporting some of our issues tomorrow.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The little gas detector that Bill mentioned is well worth the small cost. Used mine to find the loose fitting to the furnace after having it worked on. I used it every time I moved the kitchen slide to be sure the rubber hose under it hadn’t developed a leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FL-JOE

Hey there! We are the (un)happy new owners of a 2022 cyclone 4006 and have had some significant (and potentially deadly) issues with our trailer directly related to downright negligence. Was wondering whatever happened with this issue you had, and if you reported it to the NHTSA. I did not know that organization existed, and plan on reporting some of our issues tomorrow.
MissHK, sorry to hear you are having issues also. I had my dates and notes ready and was preparing to initiate the call to NHTSA. Then we had a death and have been dealing with all of that. I hope to reach out to them in a week or so when things start returning to normal.

One thing is for certain, Heartland never responded except for the Customer Service gal sending an email back saying she was sorry for our issues. After sending a detailed description of these gas line installs and what happen to us I got zero word back from corporate. They could care less my friend.

FL-JOE

After posting about the leak I started checking all lines from both propane bottles, including the run back to the outdoor kitchen area. Then I decided to mount an additional propane/gas detector closer to the stove/oven.

Thanks for heads up, I may still order a portable.