OEM bed camera for RAM

sengli

Just got a 2014 RAM 3500. It came with the tail gate mounted rear view camera. I would like to know if anyone has added the bed camera to the OE setup. The higher head rests on the rear seats dont easily allow me to see the fifth wheel hitch in the trucks bed. Which makes it hard to hitch up on my own. I can assume the bed camera/ brake light assembly can be added?

gtsum2

I don't think you can have both cameras...at least it could not be ordered that way when I ordered mine last year. Maybe lockpick or similar company has come out with a workaround?

jbeletti

If you're a DIYer and not wanting to buy the Lockpic product, you could run your own camera and use a SPDT switch to switch the video signal that goes into the head unit between the two cameras.

olcoon

If you want to go the cheap way, just get one of those magnets that have an expandable handle. Stick it in the center of the hitch, expand the handle so you can see it from the driver's seat. Been doing that for a while now & it works great.

Bohemian

I don't think you can have both cameras...at least it could not be ordered that way when I ordered mine last year. Maybe lockpick or similar company has come out with a workaround?

The 3500 can be ordered with both cameras. The bed camera conflicts with the automatic dimming rearview mirror.

gtsum2

The 3500 can be ordered with both cameras. The bed camera conflicts with the automatic dimming rearview mirror.

ahh...that was it...could not have it with the convenience group or whatever it was called...sorry about the mixup

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Bones

How did this go? What did you decide to do? I am thinking of adding a camera so I can see the hitch because I have the sidewinder you have to be just about dead on when hooking up. I have the convience group so it kicked out the higher camera and then I added a tool box.

sengli

I looked at the jail break option, which would be $500 if you could get the wiring harness that goes thru the headliner. So I did my own wired camera system. I bought a wired backup camera system complete with its own monitor, off ebay for around $40. Mounted the camera on a magnetic based stand. I just attach this stand right in front of the fifth wheel hitch and watch the pin go right into the hole while I back up. Once hitched up I just pull the camera out of the bed, and store it till I need it again. Its not greatest way to do it, but I can see the hitch and pin perfectly as I hitch up. The wireless IBall camera system you see advertised might work too, but it was $150

My silverado 3500, was arranged in a manner where I was able to see the hitch and pin in the rear view mirror, on this RAM the rear headrests are higher, and the hitch sets lower in the bed...so I cant see it readily.

Diamondjim

Great idea sengli.
The Jailbreak Gold link did not work for me, but I'm getting the picture just the same. ;~)