Oh Hail!

StrongJava

Does anyone have pictures of roof damage from hail? We got hit last night here near San Antonio. I've found dents in the roof of my truck; somehow seems my hood escaped damage.

We crawled around the roof the the RV and don't see any obvious dents or tears. But with the way some of the hits sounded, I was almost expecting the pieces to come through the roof!

Any help, visually, with what I should look for would be helpful.

Thanks.

Tim

jbeletti

Tim - carefully review your air conditioner covers, vent lids and shower skylight/bubble for the tiniest of stress cracks.

StrongJava

Thanks Jim. I just went back and, and sure enough, I'm seeing two cracks in the edge of the skylight. The AC covers seem okay, and I'm not seeing any issues tithe vent lids either. And there is water in behind it so I'll have to take care of that ASAP.

We we lucky that the hail only lasted a minute or so.

I'm curious about the rubber roof too. Any pictures of damage to the rubber? I didn't see or feel any obvious dents.

Mburtsvt

I remember getting hit by hail a few years ago. I had enough warning to get on the roof and put some soaking wet towels on the shower skylight. It worked! Some minor dings on parts of the roof, but no major damage.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You might want to let your insurance co know you were in SA during that storm. They may want an adjuster to look at it there, rather than when you get back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StrongJava

Thanks Erika. I've called the insurance company and started the process. In part, because I'm hoping they want to send someone who would have more experience than I in seeing hail-caused defects.

Cheers, Tim

TxCowboy

Does anyone have pictures of roof damage from hail? We got hit last night here near San Antonio. I've found dents in the roof of my truck; somehow seems my hood escaped damage.

We crawled around the roof the the RV and don't see any obvious dents or tears. But with the way some of the hits sounded, I was almost expecting the pieces to come through the roof!

Any help, visually, with what I should look for would be helpful.

Thanks.

Tim

Tim, sorry to hear about your hail damage. We're on the east side of San Antonio and it JUST missed us. We had reports of very large hail just a few miles both north and south of us here.

Jeff & Laurie

Diamondjim

Very scary stuff, right there, for those not accustom to hail!
Traveling north a couple of years ago, got caught in hail in SC with my Durango. $1400. damage! DW was sure the windshield was going to come crashing in on us.
Not fun!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My current truck (2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD) was only two weeks old and less than 1000 miles on it when we got hit with a bad hail storm.

I didn't even notice any hail dings on it until the next day when I was driving to work and the sun was shining on the hood just right . . .

And there it was . . . right in my face . . . one great big hail ding on the hood!

When I got to work I took a closer look and counted over 100 hail dings total!

However, all of them so small that you have to search to find them . . . except that great big one in my face when I'm behind the wheel!

And I see it every single day to this day . . .

I decided to just let it go (after all, it is a truck, and a truck is supposed to be manly) . . . right?

But Cathy kept after me to get it looked at by the insurance company.

So I called them and they came out (several months later) and as it turned out, it had over $2500 worth of damage!

The insurance inspector had a strange piece of paper with a weird printout on it that he held over the body of the truck and it made every single hail ding mystically appear!

Anyway . . . it is almost a year since I got the check from the insurance company and I haven't had it fixed yet . . . and I'm still holding the check!

It really wasn't damaged that bad . . . except for that ding right in my face on the hood . . . and it is a truck, after all!

Trucks are supposed to have character marks on them . . . aren't they?

TruckAtGrandCanyon-IMG_3537.jpg

They are all here in this shot . . . see if you can find them!

Since switching to the 5th-wheeler . . . I really do miss that topper!

StrongJava

Nice picture, John.

And good post.

"had a strange piece of paper with a weird printout on it that he held over the body of the truck and it made every single hail ding mystically appear!"

Hahahaha. Yep.

I'm trying to get an adjuster out in part because I realize they are probably better trained to see hail damage on the rubber roof that I am. On one hand, because it was such a short burst of hail, there isn't a lot of damage which is good. On the other hand, if there was a ton of damage, it would be much easier to spot.

- - - Updated - - -

@TxCowboy: East as in near Sequin or one of the new(er) RV parks on the East side of SA?

Gary521

Check your air conditioner cooling fins. Usually in a hail storm, these fins get compressed on themselves and you may have to re-comb the fins to keep the unit running efficiently. These fins are very fragile.

Lance & Jo

We had a hail event 2 years ago which resulted in new roofs for both house and trailer. The only piece of plastic left intact on the trailer was the AC cover and 1 large tear on edge of the rubber, probably from a glancing blow. Both the adjuster and I crawled over the roof feeling for damage and didn't find any so the tear was the reason for a new roof. Lack of additional damage was confirmed once the original rubber was removed. The rubber in the roof can absorb lots more punishment than the shingles on the house where you could see the damage from front lawn.