Ok satellite pros, I bet this is an easy one for you......

I bought a portable dish network dish and tripod to watch tv in the camper. So trying to set it up ( at home ) just to get a signal using one of our house boxes that we haven't moved yet and I am unable to find satellite 119. I can find 110 just fine. What am I doing wrong or is there something else that I need to add.

I am just using one coax cable direct to the back of the box.

Thanks,
Jerry

jstarwal

Have to make sure there is nothing no trees or anything in your way of course and exactly planet to the South and then just turn it one way or the other until you finally find your channels by the way I have a 211 Z for sale if you want one

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I downloaded the app for the smart phone and I have no obstructions. It says in the instructions if you have a dual tuner receiver then you need a separator a triplexer......I am only wanting to hook it to the main box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

wdk450

I downloaded the app for the smart phone and I have no obstructions. It says in the instructions if you have a dual tuner receiver then you need a separator a triplexer......I am only wanting to hook it to the main box.

All I can say is follow the manufacturer's instructions. I have a dual tuner VIP722, and use 2 TV's in the Bighorn, a mirror of the system that was installed in my house. Sometimes satellite TV reception can be like mysterious magic. Sometimes software will only allow things to work when it gets the signals it expects.

The triplexer is cheap on EBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DTP-TRIPLEX...487194?hash=item3a91b2571a:g:2DUAAOxyNmZTk25E

Oh, BTW, I have found in years of setting up the system that many times the satellite aiming meter at the dish can interfere with the LMB switching signals sent from the receiver out to the dish. My usual routine is to try to peak 119 with the meter at the dish, remove the meter, go inside and see what I have got. Sometimes switching between the 3 satellites or even rebooting at the receiver brings up a satellite that wasn't there before.

I always wait a count of 30 seconds before giving up on seeing a particular satellite signal when aiming.

Last edited:

NHCelt

I bought a portable dish network dish and tripod to watch tv in the camper. So trying to set it up ( at home ) just to get a signal using one of our house boxes that we haven't moved yet and I am unable to find satellite 119. I can find 110 just fine. What am I doing wrong or is there something else that I need to add.

I am just using one coax cable direct to the back of the box.

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry, I have had experiences where my Dish Tailgater was not giving me three satellites even though it was out in a very open area. Keep in mind this is an automatic sat finder. I would only get 110. Changing the cable, and nothing else, allowed me to get all three satellites. No obvious issues by looking at the cable.

So, if you are sure you are on the satellites, try a new cable. When I had a manual antenna, I always used a satellite alignment tool or sat finder. There are plenty of apps out there. Just keep in mind that you are trying to dial in a pencil beam, close is not good enough. Also, the level of the tripod is critical in figuring out where you are a bit off on your pointing. It can take a bit of fine-tuning....which is why I got the tailgater ��

Westwind

Subject = Cable

We have a Tailgater VQ4500 and a ViP 2100 Z receiver, once we got our unit set up by bypassing the trailer wiring and going direct we didn't have any problems ( our first year) on our Florida lot. This year however things were different, I connected the equipment in the same fashion as last including the location of the Tailgater, I did put the Tailgater on a 2 inch high wooden platform I made so that it wouldn't be resting on the ground. This year however if I set up the unit once I did it 20 times over the 3 month period. During a problem shooting session with King they suggested I replace the cord, I didn't but I'm stumped on what to change it to or what to look for in a new cable.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Go figure.....try it again today and i have it in under 2 minutes....sheesh.

Thanks for everyone's help.

MikeR

Subject = Cable

We have a Tailgater VQ4500 and a ViP 2100 Z receiver, once we got our unit set up by bypassing the trailer wiring and going direct we didn't have any problems ( our first year) on our Florida lot. This year however things were different, I connected the equipment in the same fashion as last including the location of the Tailgater, I did put the Tailgater on a 2 inch high wooden platform I made so that it wouldn't be resting on the ground. This year however if I set up the unit once I did it 20 times over the 3 month period. During a problem shooting session with King they suggested I replace the cord, I didn't but I'm stumped on what to change it to or what to look for in a new cable.

If you're talking about changing out your coax cable from your Tailgater to your TV, I would recommend that you get a good 3 GHz cable. The markings on the cable will indicate 3 GHz. (GHz = gigahertz)

wdk450

Subject = Cable

As another poster said you want 3 GHz (Satellite rated) coaxial RG-6 cable. Quad shielded and with pre-assembled F connectors is best. I have found this at local ACE hardware stores.

kbausano

As another poster said you want 3 GHz (Satellite rated) coaxial RG-6 cable. Quad shielded and with pre-assembled F connectors is best. I have found this at local ACE hardware stores.

I spent seemingly endless hours with Dish technical (level 3?). Not all receivers are set up to provide power to operate the motors running a Tailgater antenna (thus my home receiver, new as it is, did not work in my rig). Also, total distance between your receiver and antenna is recommended no longer than 50 feet - although I think far less is more realistic (and there's no telling exactly how much coax runs inside the rig from the satellite connection to the tv.

I would love to think I could improve my results with a 3GHz cable. Thanks for that thought!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
This is supposed to be the best coax for SAT TV installations

"Belden 7915A RG6/U Duobond Plus 3GHz Tri-Shield Broadband Coax"

Use with the proper compression fittings.

Westwind

Hi Everyone - thanks for the cable suggestions - I've written the info down and now I'm going to start looking for cable, we have an Ace and I'm also going to look online at Satellite suppliers. I'll post the results of what I end up getting, where, and $$.