Okay to plug?

KyleC

Is it okay to plug a tire with a nail hole in it? It is the front tire of my dual axle. I might just switch it for the spare... But I know there's so much talk about tires and blowouts and whatnot. It's on a prowler 25lx. Bumper pull. Don't have the money right now to replace the tire but we have one more trip planned in December

Kyle

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I’ve had to patch a tire on both of our BHs. That tire immediately became my spare until it was time to replace them all.
IMO my trust in a patched tire is very low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyleC

Yeah I will need to be replacing mine next year I guess. The date code is '14 or '15. They look like they barely got used before me this year. Tread is perfect

Kyle

Last edited:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have plugged many truck and trailer tires with a lot of suggess. I'd say if it were me on my RV I'd plug it to get to the tire shop then I'd have them do a plug/patch job on it. Then I'd say you'll be fine.
Just my opinion

Jerrod

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

KyleC

Yeah I plug my construction trailer and my truck tires all day long..... Never had the slightest problem, but I guess they would at least put the mushroom style plugs.IMG_20181206_161424829.jpeg

Kyle

Gary521

Yes, go ahead and plug the tires but have a tire shop put a patch on the inside when you get time.

carl.swoyer

Is it okay to plug a tire with a nail hole in it? It is the front tire of my dual axle. I might just switch it for the spare... But I know there's so much talk about tires and blowouts and whatnot. It's on a prowler 25lx. Bumper pull. Don't have the money right now to replace the tire but we have one more trip planned in December

Kyle
Puncture location is critical.
If it's near the edge of tire, not advisable. A plug properly installed will be ok. But the best is a patch on the inside of the tire, it seals the hole preventing moisture from degrading the steel belts.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

KyleC

It's just sitting in the backyard right now. Just trying to get prepared for the next trip. I think I'll just change the tire to the spare and then patch it for the spare.
1dcd50724a6849631b04d3b4d704f9de.jpg

Kyle

MTPockets

Puncture location is critical.
If it's near the edge of tire, not advisable. A plug properly installed will be ok. But the best is a patch on the inside of the tire, it seals the hole preventing moisture from degrading the steel belts.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
This is always the best method... folks obviously plug, it’s easier, faster, cheaper; but, an inside patch is best and safest.

LBR

Yeah I plug my construction trailer and my truck tires all day long..... Never had the slightest problem, but I guess they would at least put the mushroom style plugs.View attachment 60113

Kyle
That "mushroom style" must be what a truck tire shop used on our truck left/front the other day. I have never seen one before, but the dude prepped the tire inside, ran a deburring awl thru the hole to clean, spread adhesive, then put a mushroom looking patch/plug thru the hole....pulled it tight from outside to seat the patch.....then trimmed off excess plug.
1356f53731e81db6a844a5c7b93c3ba0.jpg

rhodies1

Take the tire and rim to a recognized tire service center like Goodyear and have a vulcanized plug installed.This plug has a patch attached and the plug is pulled from the inside of the tire outward through the tread.This way it gets a good seal from the plug and patch.

avvidclif

I always use Wallyworld for patching tires. The plugs they use are inserted from the inside and have an umbrella head abt 2.5" in diameter that is also glued in place. Never had a problem. Plus if it's in or outside the last rib they won't patch it, period. And only charge $10.

KyleC

I have a friend in the business so I will drop my tire off to him. He just put all new tires on my work trailer and checked the alignment for $550!

Kyle