Onan 5500

rlubonski

I have just installed an Onan 5500 into my 5th wheel (Elkridge 40FLFS). Should the generator have its own battery or can it be hooked the house batteries? I don't want to send any power or back feed back to my converter.

taskswap

I'm confused. Usually a generator of that size is used to power "everything" - house loads, ACs, and charging the batteries. Is there a reason you wouldn't want it to run to your converter as well?

When you say you installed it... can you elaborate?

david-steph2018

I have just installed an Onan 5500 into my 5th wheel (Elkridge 40FLFS). Should the generator have its own battery or can it be hooked the house batteries? I don't want to send any power or back feed back to my converter.
Our toy hauler has a factory installed 5500 Onan. It uses the "house batteries" to start. Our transfer switch automatically switches to generator power when the generator is running. So, it is powering the converter to recharge/maintain the batteries.

wdk450

The generator is a "small engine" device where hard starting is a common problem. I would think that you would want the larger capacity of the house battery system for starting the generator over a small battery only dedicated to starting the generator.

Using the house batteries for generator starting seems to be the standard installation on thousands of RV 5th wheels, and has worked successfully. Also, you don't have to buy (and maintain) another lead acid storage battery on your rig.

hoefler

The generator does not have a 12 volt charge circuit, so the convertor is needed to keep the batteries charged and run the house.