Opinion On The BH Shock System

I understand the shocks on the BH are not a IS. Is there a noticeable difference in ride with springs + shocks VS no shocks?

Also is there a point that the trailer utilizes one (springs or shocks) over the other or are they both always working in tandem? So I guess I am asking if the trailer applies a certain compression on the springs exceeding the springs limitations is it at that point the shocks absorb the additional stress?

It would be interesting if someone had an actual video of the BH suspension working during travel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roller4tan

My efficiency statement was made on what I had read. I don't know the particulars on it. That being said I have replaced the stock shocks for my own piece of mind. They were very easy to compress after I removed them.

BigGuy82

My efficiency statement was made on what I had read. I don't know the particulars on it. That being said I have replaced the stock shocks for my own piece of mind. They were very easy to compress after I removed them.
What brand/model did you replace them with? What difference did you notice?

- - - Updated - - -

I have heard this before. If this is proven true why would the engineers not make changes to optimize the efficiency of the shock addition?
Looking at mine, my guess is that to fit them vertically would be an expensive mod, even if they did fit which I'm not sure they would.

EB3

It's my understanding the that the acute angle is they didn't the sides clearance. Sometimes mfg do things just to say they have them. To add shocks at the proper angle look up Joy Rider. The purpose of shocks is to soften the rebound of the springs as in up and down. Just like the ones on the rear axle of your truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

It's my understanding the that the acute angle is they didn't the sides clearance. Sometimes mfg do things just to say they have them. To add shocks at the proper angle look up Joy Rider. The purpose of shocks is to soften the rebound of the springs as in up and down. Just like the ones on the rear axle of your truck.

Actually, even though they are mounted at an angle , they likely suck up some motion. If you raise or lower the axles with a jack, the shocks also move. Certainly less efficient than a vertical mount but also contributing some level of control.

Roller4tan

I used Monroe 555001 gas magnum shocks. Some things in the trailer don't seem to move around as much. They were much stiffer to compress before the install.
[h=1][/h]

osims

bsims
We have a 3160 with stock suspension, we just got home from a 3000 mile trip over some pretty rough roads ( interstate) and everything stayed in place with a smooth pull. We don't full time but if we did I would go with the IS system. For the amount of travel we do ( usually 1 week a month ) I can't justify the cost.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We would love IS, but instead going to try the MorRyde SRE4000 suspension and swapping our shocks with Bilsteins. Having it installed after Goshen, so we will have a good 1000+ miles back to Texas to see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gasman

Camp Socializer
I replaced my stock shocks with the Joy Rider system. Oh what a difference!! We have about 2000 miles on them across Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, and Missouri. Many of these miles on roads almost as rough as the 99 in California. We have noticed that it is safe to open cabinet doors and the refrigerator doors without any personal protective gear. I wish I had done this mod a couple of years ago.

mlpeloquin

I replaced my stock shocks with the Joy Rider system. Oh what a difference!! We have about 2000 miles on them across Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, and Missouri. Many of these miles on roads almost as rough as the 99 in California. We have noticed that it is safe to open cabinet doors and the refrigerator doors without any personal protective gear. I wish I had done this mod a couple of years ago.

I am going to put the Joy Ryder System on in two months. Anyone have them go on interstate 40 through Arizona and New Mexico with in the last year or so? That stretch of interstate has to be among the worst right now, but is finally under construction to fix it.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Tony and Erika, I will be following your reviews of the system you are having installed.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We would love IS, but instead going to try the MorRyde SRE4000 suspension and swapping our shocks with Bilsteins. Having it installed after Goshen, so we will have a good 1000+ miles back to Texas to see if it helps.

Please report back the before and after rig heights. I've considered this conversion but others here and on other forums have indicated this increases the rig's height by 1-2". Unacceptable to me.
Am considering the JoyRider too but 2 service center managers I've questioned are not sure it's worth it

BigGuy82

Please report back the before and after rig heights. I've considered this conversion but others here and on other forums have indicated this increases the rig's height by 1-2". Unacceptable to me.
Am considering the JoyRider too but 2 service center managers I've questioned are not sure it's worth it

An interesting point. I looked at the instructions and don't see how height would be increased but if it is, that is an important consideration. It would be important to hear from someone who has done the mod if this is the case.

Also, is it worth it? It looks like it only changes the shock angle 5% or so. I wonder if that performance increase justifies a $500-$600 (more if you have it installed) investment. Perhaps just installing better shocks is a better way to go?

travelin2

An interesting point. I looked at the instructions and don't see how height would be increased but if it is, that is an important consideration. It would be important to hear from someone who has done the mod if this is the case.

Perhaps just installing better shocks is a better way to go?

Look at post 2263
https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...u-do-to-your-camper-today?p=535828#post535828

I'm already just shy of 13' 3". Dennyha says it added 1.5" to the nose.

EB3

After a little investigation this is what I found. The standard BH shock is oil filled with a 2 1/2" stroke. The Joy Rider shock is a Gabriel nitrogen shock with a 7 1/2" stroke. Putting HD shocks to replace Factory ones could put real stress on the small ears that the shocks mount on. I say once again compare your truck mounts to your BH. Who knows more about shocks the automakers or the RV makers.

travelin2

After a little investigation this is what I found. The standard BH shock is oil filled with a 2 1/2" stroke. The Joy Rider shock is a Gabriel nitrogen shock with a 7 1/2" stroke. Putting HD shocks to replace Factory ones could put real stress on the small ears that the shocks mount on. I say once again compare your truck mounts to your BH. Who knows more about shocks the automakers or the RV makers.

Joy rider system does not utilize the existing mounts. There are YouTube videos out there detailing their installation.
Lippert standard shocks have nearly a 5" stroke BTW

gasman

Camp Socializer

Mine had no effect on the height. I installed everything without ever raising the trailer so the height could not have changed.

travelin2

Mine had no effect on the height. I installed everything without ever raising the trailer so the height could not have changed.

What did you install, SRE4000 or Joyriders???
I'm referencing the SRE4000 upgrade.