Optimal hitch and bed cover

HowardBJr

HowardBJr
I could use some more advice. Your advice so far has been VERY helpful. This time I need it on hitches and bed covers.

Relevant background information: We’re looking at getting an Augusta for full-time use and will be pulling it with a 2010 Dodge 3500 crew cab, long-bed dully and will get a spray in liner. I would also like the Retrax bed cover or something similar and would like to be able to close the cover with the hitch not removed from the bed. I would like a hitch that I can put a bedsaver on. I would also like to be able to remove and reinstall the hitch by myself. I may put air bags on the truck to help with any ride height and quality issues. Kathy has rheumatoid arthritis so we would like as smooth a ride as practical without breaking the bank. I will also use the truck as my daily driver and may get a box trailer to pull a car to the race track and a street rod to car shows and would like to have the option of pulling a gooseneck trailer however that is not a deal breaker.

Options I’ve identified so far:

1. Trail-Air pin box ($1,278 Heartland option) with 18K B&W Companion hitch
  2. Trail-Air pin box ($1,278 Heartland option) with a hitch from other than B&W (e.g., Reese, etc.)
  3. Standard pin box with TrailerSaver hitch ($2495)
  4. Other unknown options?
I read about an issue with the powder coating on the Trail-Air pin box. Trail-Air uses a low quality power coating process and they will not stand by a failure of the powder coating during the warrantee period.

A downside to the TrailerSaver hitch is its very heavy (i.e., 280 pounds thus a two person lift) and that a bed saver is not made for it. I would have to buy an engine hoist to get it out of the truck. A Hensley representative said the hitch itself could catch the trailer if I should drop it. However it looks like the trailer would still hit the bed if the trailer rolls backwards more than a few inches after it drops. I also would not be able to tow a gooseneck trailer with this setup.

My question what is the optimal pin box and 5th wheel hitch for this application and what lockable bed covers would work?

Again thanks for all your help!

Howard

Last edited:

jgilbert

I have the Reese 18k Signature Series hitch. It comes out of the bed in 2 pieces that are easily movable by 1 person. It leaves 4 pucks in the bed so it is not completely flat. You can get a gooseneck hitch from Reese that fits in the same 4 holes. We love our Reese Signature Series.

Joe

HowardBJr

HowardBJr
I have the Reese 18k Signature Series hitch. It comes out of the bed in 2 pieces that are easily movable by 1 person. It leaves 4 pucks in the bed so it is not completely flat. You can get a gooseneck hitch from Reese that fits in the same 4 holes. We love our Reese Signature Series.

Joe

Joe, did you get the Trail Air pin box? How is the ride quality of your truck with your Reese hitch?

Thanks.

Howard

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just so there is not confusion what you are talking about is Powder Coating rather than Power Coating right?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Howard,

I also have the Reese hitch that can be easily disassembled into two pieces and moved by one person. The Reese (at least mine) also fits under the Retrax cover. If you get the Retrax cover make sure your dealer knows you will be putting it over a 5th wheel hitch. According to our dealer there is a different cover for going over a hitch than a truck bed without a 5th wheel hitch. Hope you get that Augusta in time for the Fall Rally!

Gus

HowardBJr

HowardBJr
Howard,

I also have the Reese hitch that can be easily disassembled into two pieces and moved by one person. The Reese (at least mine) also fits under the Retrax cover. If you get the Retrax cover make sure your dealer knows you will be putting it over a 5th wheel hitch. According to our dealer there is a different cover for going over a hitch than a truck bed without a 5th wheel hitch. Hope you get that Augusta in time for the Fall Rally!

Gus

Gus, I really like your Retrax cover. I remembered you said you had an issue with the height of your hitch however I couldn't remember which hitch you had.

Do you have any input for me on the pin and/or air hitch? I need to get a good ride quality while towing due to Kathy's health issues.

Dodge is not taking orders for the 2010 trucks yet so it doesn't look like we will have our Augusta in time for the fall rally. :( Once we know the truck is on it's way we can order our Augusta.

Howard

beardedone

Beardedone
We have the Hi-Jacker double pivot 21,000 with the Trail Air pin box. It rides quite well and we have the 2008 Dodge dually. The Hi-Jacker comes out in two pieces but there are rails left behind. They used to make a goose neck ball that slipped into the rails but I don't know if that option is still available.

HowardBJr

HowardBJr
Howard,

My current trailer has the 5th Airborne kingpin on it. It works great.

Joe

Joe, did you consider an air type hitch (e.g., TrailerSaver) when you bought your 5th Airborne and if so what help you decide to go with the 5th Airborne pin?

Thanks.

Howard

jgilbert

Well, the 5th Airborne IS an "air type" hitch. It has an airbag and a shock absorber in it. That being said, no I did not consider any other brand because the 5th is what came installed on my present KZ Montego Bay trailer.

Joe

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
HowardBJr.

I can't help you on the airborne because I just have the standard pin box, but I use the B&W Turn-over ball hitch for pulling our gooseneck trailers and have the B&W Companion 5th wheel for pulling our Landmark. I love the system. The Companion comes in two pieces and with proper torque applied, takes me about 15 minutes to install from the time I lift it on the tail gate until I'm ready to hook up the camper.

Less time to take it out and put the gooseneck ball in because I don't have to torque the bolts to take it out. The nice thing about the whole system is I have a completly flat truck bed when I don't need to tow anything and in two pieces, I can lift the 5th wheel hitch in and out of the truck bed by myself.

Keith

HowardBJr

HowardBJr
HowardBJr.

I can't help you on the airborne because I just have the standard pin box, but I use the B&W Turn-over ball hitch for pulling our gooseneck trailers and have the B&W Companion 5th wheel for pulling our Landmark. I love the system. The Companion comes in two pieces and with proper torque applied, takes me about 15 minutes to install from the time I lift it on the tail gate until I'm ready to hook up the camper.

Less time to take it out and put the gooseneck ball in because I don't have to torque the bolts to take it out. The nice thing about the whole system is I have a completly flat truck bed when I don't need to tow anything and in two pieces, I can lift the 5th wheel hitch in and out of the truck bed by myself.

Keith

Keith, how does your Landmark pull with the standard pin and the B&W (i.e., how smooth is ride in your truck)? If you were to do it again would you still get the standard pin or would you get the Trail-Air pin box? I know you haven’t had your Landmark very long but I’m interested in your viewpoint.

I’m glad you’re going to the Fall Rally. My wife has to work that weekend but I may go on my own.

Thanks.

Howard

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
I went with the 24k Signature Series to pull our new Augusta and have been very happy with it. No trail-air as the DW liked the pin box cover and some of the forum knowledgeable told me I could always add the trail-air if the regular pin box didn't satisfy. I pull with a short box crew cab and was also persuaded that I didn't need a slider; again great advice. The four pucks in the floor once you remove the two piece hitch is as close to a flat bed as you can get. I opted for a truxedo lo-profile, fits over the hitch nicely and if you lock the tailgate you have to cut your way in. Anybody wants your "stuff" that bad is probably going to get it. By the way, Line-X offers color coordinated liner colors that are a bit pricey but look great if you're matching an accent color on your truck. Again, the DW didn't want black, I opted for the Prairie Tan accent and it does look nice. Good luck with your choices and I hope you enjoy your Augusta as much as we do ours.

HowardBJr

HowardBJr
I went with the 24k Signature Series to pull our new Augusta and have been very happy with it. No trail-air as the DW liked the pin box cover and some of the forum knowledgeable told me I could always add the trail-air if the regular pin box didn't satisfy. I pull with a short box crew cab and was also persuaded that I didn't need a slider; again great advice. The four pucks in the floor once you remove the two piece hitch is as close to a flat bed as you can get. I opted for a truxedo lo-profile, fits over the hitch nicely and if you lock the tailgate you have to cut your way in. Anybody wants your "stuff" that bad is probably going to get it. By the way, Line-X offers color coordinated liner colors that are a bit pricey but look great if you're matching an accent color on your truck. Again, the DW didn't want black, I opted for the Prairie Tan accent and it does look nice. Good luck with your choices and I hope you enjoy your Augusta as much as we do ours.

Bob, I went to the Reese website and I think I now understand how the Signature Series works. I like the fact that it sits low enough so that a bed cover will slide over it and one person can remove and re-install the hitch.

The Augusta has a GVWR of 16,200 pounds so I was thinking an 18K hitch would give me enough of a safety margin. However, I noticed that Joe has an 18K hitch (he has a SOB which I believe has a GVWR of about 16K), Gerry has a 21K hitch for his Landmark and you’ve got a 24K hitch for yours. Did you get the 24K version in preparation for a possible future upgrade or did you need the extra strength in the mounting mechanism for your goose neck application? Should I be looking at higher rating than 18K?

I like the optional cover for the standard pin box. It sure looks nice. I really need to address the ride quality of the truck pulling the Landmark due to my wife’s health issues which is why I’m looking into either an air bag pin box (e.g., Trail Air or 5th Airborne) or an air bag hitch (e.g., TrailerSaver). She is not going to be a happy camper if she is being jerked around in the cab of the truck while we’re going down the highway whenever her rheumatoid arthritis is flaring up.

Thanks for all your help.

Howard

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
Howard,
I went with the 24k for a different reason, the 18k Reese was 70-75lbs. as opposed to the 24k which weighed in at 120lbs and has a bigger plate surface and a wider hitch entry (easier to line up I reasoned.) I've convinced myself the extra weight and size makes it more stable; the fact is I have towed a total of about 1000 miles and have no comparable experience to judge against. I know for my particular setup I couldn't be happier. I kind of smirked to myself when reading the blogs about "forgetting the 5th wheel was behind us", but I can tell you the Augusta tows great. I can't help you with the pin box selection, but there are plenty of knowledgeable folks on here that will be glad to offer there experiences and what works well for them. I'm pretty sure the pin box on our Augusta is rated @ 18k. Cal Hitch had the best price if you can install it yourself or have someone that will install and treat you fairly. Good Luck!

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Keith, how does your Landmark pull with the standard pin and the B&W (i.e., how smooth is ride in your truck)? If you were to do it again would you still get the standard pin or would you get the Trail-Air pin box? I know you haven’t had your Landmark very long but I’m interested in your viewpoint.

I’m glad you’re going to the Fall Rally. My wife has to work that weekend but I may go on my own.

Thanks.

Howard

Sure hope you do come down to the Rally Howard even if it's just for a day visit.

Never having pulled a trailer with any type of air cushion on the pin box, I really have no way of knowing if I would get one if ordering a trailer today. I do know, the same push-pull I experience pulling our big 46' Goosenecks, I experience with the B&W 5th wheel. Yes it can get "jerky" sometimes, but I'm not sure it's all that bad that I would go to the extra expense of the airborne or similiar air assisted pin box without having the experience of pulling a rig with it on for some distance over varying road conditions.

Not saying I wouldn't switch, I'm just saying I can't see spending that kind of money without experiencing it for myself to see if it's really worth it.

Now all you Airborne and Trail Air and.....others don't jump all over me cuz I don't trust your opinion;);) I'm just saying everyone has their own reasons and I'm just not willing to spend that kind of money without some first hand experience.

Keith