Options for TowMax oem tire replacement...

scottyb

GoodBye TowMax!

When we took delivery of our new 2015 Cyclone 3110 last week, we decided to go ahead and replace the oem tires & wheels without delay. After a call to Trailer Tires and Wheels in Edon, Ohio to work out the details, we headed north to give the 3110 a good shakeout and pickup the tires. We were able to park overnight at the TTW facility and the next morning Scott had our tires & wheels swapped out in short order.
The new 17.5s are Continental HTL2 Eco-Plus 215/75R17.5 and are mounted on some good looking HiSpec 07 aluminum wheels with black inlays. The 17.5s are Load Range J, 4805 lbs 75mph rated and are very serious looking tires.
The trip from Ohio home to Tennessee was done with a lot more peace of mind and the new tires even seemed to ride smoother on the bumps than the originals even though they run 120psi. Here's a few pics...
]

Congratulations. You have a gorgeous looking setup and it looks like you made an excellent choice with your tires and wheels. Sounds like you have already experienced that "sigh of relief". I've been very happy with my choice, and although I have 3 axles, I am considering going to J rated tires and wheels when it's time to replace my Michellins.

scottyb

As a side note, I took my Cyclone to Discount Tire today to rotate and balance the tires. I checked the pressure this AM while the ambient temperature was 75 degrees. None of the six Michellins had lost a breath of air since it was last towed at Thanksgiving. Every one of them were exactly on 80 psi after over 6 months of sitting through the winter. Now that's tight.

Jim.Allison

I also went with the g-114 and the 17.5 in rim and yes it smarted in teh old checkbook. But I bought a high dollar rig to have some fun, not fret and worry about tires and rims.

I have read almost all the post concerning the Towmax tires and I have also noticed a few complaints about rims/wheels. So when I bought my g-114 I ordered them mounted and balanced on HiSpec Rims. If you are not familiar, HiSpec leads the industry in fifth wheel rim and wheel technology. You torque them once and never wory about them again. You get them for the same money, so its worth investigating.

I was here last week http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/ and they told me they have more problems with G-614's than 114's and 17.5 wheels

ncc1701e

Question -- How do you figure out if the rims can handle tires of higher PSI? Upgrading to 17" rims are not an option as there is not enough clearance between the wheels. I've got two years and 7100 miles on my Tomax tires. While they look great and I do know it is time to replace them for several reasons. I've looked at Maxxis and Carlisle tires. About the only thing keeping me from just buying G614s is the PSI rating of the tires. So back to the question of rims, how do you find a rating on the rims?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The rating should be stamped on the backside of the rim. Probably the weight limit (3750). Unless your rig came with G-rated tires, it's a good chance your rims are not rated for the 3750 lbs. or 110 psi.

jnbhobe

The rating is stamped on the inside of your wheel. 215-75-17.5 tires have a smaller diameter than your 235-80-16's

ncc1701e

I looked at all four rims yesterday and called myself as looking closely. Found nothing stamped looking with a good light and felt all the way around a couple rims and found nothing that felt like markings. I was expecting to find something. The Sundance came with 80 PSI tires (Tomax). I'm thinking the Carlisle or Maxxis will be just fine for the rig.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
The info is stamped on the backside of one of the wheel's spokes. I doubt you can see it without removing a wheel as the brake drum will block your view. My '14 BH has 110# psi wheels even though it came with LR E tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The info is stamped on the backside of one of the wheel's spokes. I doubt you can see it without removing a wheel as the brake drum will block your view. My '14 BH has 110# psi wheels even though it came with LR E tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK, I'll buy that. They must have kept the same wheels when they changed from G's to E's on the Bighorns.

Sunset4k

Cjackg, I'm glad to see your post on the Continental tire. we just replaced our Tomax tires with Maxxis tires for now. But, after additional research, we will also go with the Continental load rated J tires when it is time to replace the Maxxis, provided there won't be any clearance issues with the 17.5 rims. Gives me a year or two to buy the rims lol. Won't be quite as much out of pocket at one time that Way!!!

Happy Travels! !

Cjackg

Cjackg, I'm glad to see your post on the Continental tire. we just replaced our Tomax tires with Maxxis tires for now. But, after additional research, we will also go with the Continental load rated J tires when it is time to replace the Maxxis, provided there won't be any clearance issues with the 17.5 rims. Gives me a year or two to buy the rims lol. Won't be quite as much out of pocket at one time that Way!!!

Happy Travels! !
We have already towed the 17.5s several thousand miles and feel they were worth it all... No clearance issues with the Cyclone.

porthole

Retired
Not all rims are stamped (at least mine are not).

The non scientific method is to count the spokes.

5 spoke rims are almost always 80 psi and 8 spoke rims are almost always 110 psi.

In the 17.5" arena, the rims are at least 125 psi rated

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Anyone have Goodyear Marathons on their rig? I want to change tires but can't afford new rims.

Ran them on my sob. Good tires but they replaced bias ply tires though so anything was better. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

Get the Goodyear 614's 3750 at 110 psi. It is a trailer tire and goodyear recommends it for fivers. Ignore the barrage of people that will tell you you can't run LT tires on a fiver. This LT is recommended by goodyear for fivers. http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-selector.aspx

CHECK YOUR RIMS FIRST. You can find the spec on the back side of your rim/wheel. Just pull one and wash it, it should be casted into the web. If it came from heartland if may very well be a 3750 LB rim with a pressure rating of 110 PSI. If your rim does not say what its pressure rating is, do not air it up to 110 lbs.

If it does say 3750 at 110, then it is an exact match for the G614.

Anyone have Goodyear Marathons on their rig? I want to change tires but can't afford new rims.

Jim.Allison

Taking the fiver on 2000 mile journey, will advise performance on new HiSpec Mod 03 8 on 6.5 17.5 in wheels and Goodyear G114s. Just locally I find a very much improved towing experience. AT 110 LBS the tires have a good contact patch but seems easier to tow. The trailer seems to be more stable. Backing is much easier as the tires don't try to roll off the rims. The fiver seems not to roll from side to side like it did before. The G114 are rated to 75 mph. Im not going to tow at 75 but at 65.

I am expecting/anticipating improved towing performance and better milage. We will see.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I looked at all four rims yesterday and called myself as looking closely. Found nothing stamped looking with a good light and felt all the way around a couple rims and found nothing that felt like markings. I was expecting to find something. The Sundance came with 80 PSI tires (Tomax). I'm thinking the Carlisle or Maxxis will be just fine for the rig.

You can go to Tredit's website and look for your rims, they list the specs. You can also take a pic and post, someone else might have the same rims and know. My guess is you have 80psi rated rims... Your Sundance is lighter than my ElkRidge, and we had 80psi rims. We went with Maxxis.

whp4262

I'm running Taskmaster Provider tires on my Cyclone from Discount Tires. So far I have a little over 4000 miles on them and they seem to be holding up pretty well. Taskmaster use to be in Missouri but now they are located in Plano Texas. Some Discount tire stores stock them and some have to order them. You can also get them on-line from discounttiredirect.com.

SeattleLion

Based on some research of the options, it seems that most "E-Rated" 16" tires have weight capacity max rating of 3500 to 3600 lbs each.

The Goodyear "G-Rated" G614 16" tires have a rating of 3750 lbs. Most of the 17.5" Tires are "H" or even "J" rated and have a max capacity over 4800 lbs!

My Cyclone 3110 has a max GVWR close to 16,000 lbs, so how can oem tires that are rated barely over 14,000lbs (4-of-them) even begin to be adequate?

Am I missing something here as to what is considered adequate? Where are the Weight Police?

Yup, you are missing something. The GVWR is not what the trailer tires carry. Your hitch carres at least 2,500 lbs of that. So the load on your trailer tires is under 12,000 lbs.