Outside LED light strip

Flapper

We purchased an outside LED light strip that would be mounted under the awning directly onto the camper. How has anyone routed the wiring for this installation. Was going to run the wire down inside the awning arm and just plug into the outside light switch, but found out the power box cannot get wet. Hate to drill a hole, but may have to. Any ideas on an easy installation? Also do we need to worry about the tape sticking and not losing the lights?

Power247

If it is the typical 15' weather proof LED strip you do not want to trust the factory applied tape. It will not last outside in the weather. Get some 1\4 wide 3M automotive trim tape. You also want to seal the ends with silicone after installing. I had a set on our previous trailer where I made up a long cord so I could plug them when we set up camp. Honestly it got old quick. I was nervous about drilling through the wall of the camper. It would have been much easier if I had and could have wired them to a switch.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Roller4tan

Did that to my other SOB. It had an electric awning, so I just followed the wires to where they went thru the side and found a 12v and ground nearby that. Used the remote that came with to turn on/off.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need that little power box. What it does is convert 120 AC volts to 12 DC volts.
Do as Roller4tan said. Run the wires down the electric awning arm. enter the coach and find a 12 volt DC wire and a neutral. Use the remote.
I did that on my Bighorn.

Peace
Dave