Overflowing toilet

I have a 2012 32buds trailer. Had to use toilet early a.m
I went back to bed heard water was running. I have a Thetford toilet with foot pedal. Bowl was full. I flushed again and water stopped but can't get water to drain. My black water valve appears to be open? Ideas?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Is the toilet ball opening or not? Possible that there is something blocking the tank drain, too. Not unheard of to have the cutouts from tank installation falling into the tank to give owners grief at some future date.

Backflushing at the sewer connection may knock it out of the way.

Based on your post, have you been leaving the black tank valve open while connected to the sewer? That will cause a poop pyramid to build at the end of the toilet pipe and cause problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes ,ball opens, I shut water off and toilet still full when I push pedal. My gate valve for the black water seems to move freely. Thinking it's closed. Lights show 2/3 full but those aren't always right from what I'm reading. Not sure what to do if valve is stuck closed.

Is the toilet ball opening or not? Possible that there is something blocking the tank drain, too. Not unheard of to have the cutouts from tank installation falling into the tank to give owners grief at some future date.

Backflushing at the sewer connection may knock it out of the way.

Based on your post, have you been leaving the black tank valve open while connected to the sewer? That will cause a poop pyramid to build at the end of the toilet pipe and cause problems.

I had gotten here last night. I close the tank valve when I leave, open when I arrive,but did not do so last night,waited till this a.m. ,after the bowl filled. If I back flush and the tank is full with a stuck valve,will that cause more water inside?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like your cable may have come disconnected from the gate valve if it feels like it moves a little too easy.
You should crawl under the coach and investigate. If your underbelly is enclosed you will need to remove the Coroplast to investigate.
Also as previously mentioned it sounds like you leave the gate valve open when parked. Don't do that.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

Of course, these RV disasters always seem to happen on a weekend, or just before, when service help is minimal.
Backflushing is a risk of black water flow into the rig, but the toilet valve (footpedal) would have to be open to allow this unless something breaks.
Maybe the least risky first thing to try might be a toilet snake that would help open any blockages immediately below the commode. You might want to turn off your fresh water so the toilet flush with the foot valve open wouldn't add to the fluid load.

Just as a troubleshooting aid, try to drain some water out from your shower or kitchen sink to make sure the end drain piping is open.

I hope it is something as simple (to find - not to fix) as the cable to the black tank valve is disconnected. Do you feel the normal resistance when you try to open/close the black tank valve handle, like the other valve handles feel? BTW if your black tank valve seems not to operate with the handle in the UDC, and you don't want to do the big fix on the road, You should have an external sewer drain valve if you opt to leave the black tank valve open.

Here is a link to a You Tube search on unclogging RV toilets: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=toilet+drain+snake+rv

Here is a link to using an external valve on your sewer drain system:

hoefler

I have a 2012 32buds trailer. Had to use toilet early a.m
I went back to bed heard water was running. I have a Thetford toilet with foot pedal. Bowl was full. I flushed again and water stopped but can't get water to drain. My black water valve appears to be open? Ideas?

Can you say Poo Pyramid?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Short of C-4 and a detonator, you may need professional help if you have a Poo Pyramid blocking the pipe.
giphy.gif

wdk450

Do a webswearch on "RV Tank Cleaning Services" to hopefully find one near you. All of the good ones have fiberoptic video capabilities to see what is going on, if that is needed.