Overnight Stay off Of New Jersey Turnpike

GregD904

Good Morning,

My family and I are traveling from northern Connecticut to Fenwick Island, DE (Dewey Beach area) in July. This is about a 7+ hour drive towing for us, so I was thinking of breaking up the trip down so we could enjoy as much time at the campground we are staying at as possible. We are going from a Thursday to Tuesday, but are considering leaving Wednesday afternoon and boondocking somewhere overnight.

For the trip I plan to take I-287 over the Tappan Zee bridge and stay on I-287 until I hit I-95 (NJTP) in New Jersey, and would say on I95, until I cross the Del. Mem. Bridge and head south on 13 from there to the campground in south DE.

Given the driving time, I was hoping to find some place in central New Jersey off of I-95 (NJTP) to stop for the night, possible a Wal-Mart, Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops. Somewhere near the Mt. Laurel/Cherry Hill area. I have seen mixed reports on the laws about overnight parking at rest stops as well as there is a safety concern with that.

There is a Wal-Mart Supercenter in Somerdale, NJ right off the NJTP that I was considering. Has anyone had any experience with this? Does anyone else have any recommendations in this area?

Thank you,
Greg

jerryjay11

Haven't stay at that Walmart, but I would think it isn't much different from any others. I would like to suggest rather than taking RT13 with traffic lights and such you might want to consider RT1 (Easy Pass). It would be faster though it is a toll road and would be $5.00 at the end. In either route you will be linking up with route 1/113 in Dover heading to Dewey.

If you need to snack or gas up try Exit 114. There is a Royal Farms with plenty room to maneuver at the pumps and easy access back on RT1.

Safe Travels

GregD904

Thank you very much for the suggestion, yes after looking at the route the directions recommend route one so that is how I will take. Yes I assume this Walmart to be what we’re looking for I just figured I would throw it out there to see if anybody had any recommendations, thank you again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FCR

We stayed at the Molly Pitcher Service Plaza in Cranberry NJ on our way to the Delaware beaches and did not have any issues. I also agree with taking RT 1, well worth the $ 5.00.

Frank

gschaaf

Greg I don’t know when you are planning your trip but that Walmart in Somerdale will be out of your way if you get on 295 which runs parallel to the turnpike down the southern end there is a camping world at exit 10 off 295 safe travels. See ya down the road!!!

GregD904

We stayed at the Molly Pitcher Service Plaza in Cranberry NJ on our way to the Delaware beaches and did not have any issues. I also agree with taking RT 1, well worth the $ 5.00.

Frank

Thanks Frank. Good to know about the service plaza.

GregD904

Greg I don’t know when you are planning your trip but that Walmart in Somerdale will be out of your way if you get on 295 which runs parallel to the turnpike down the southern end there is a camping world at exit 10 off 295 safe travels. See ya down the road!!!

[mention]gschaaf [/mention] thanks for that advice! If we make it that far down we’ll definitely go to that camping world!

carl.swoyer

Good Morning,

My family and I are traveling from northern Connecticut to Fenwick Island, DE (Dewey Beach area) in July. This is about a 7+ hour drive towing for us, so I was thinking of breaking up the trip down so we could enjoy as much time at the campground we are staying at as possible. We are going from a Thursday to Tuesday, but are considering leaving Wednesday afternoon and boondocking somewhere overnight.

For the trip I plan to take I-287 over the Tappan Zee bridge and stay on I-287 until I hit I-95 (NJTP) in New Jersey, and would say on I95, until I cross the Del. Mem. Bridge and head south on 13 from there to the campground in south DE.

Given the driving time, I was hoping to find some place in central New Jersey off of I-95 (NJTP) to stop for the night, possible a Wal-Mart, Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops. Somewhere near the Mt. Laurel/Cherry Hill area. I have seen mixed reports on the laws about overnight parking at rest stops as well as there is a safety concern with that.

There is a Wal-Mart Supercenter in Somerdale, NJ right off the NJTP that I was considering. Has anyone had any experience with this? Does anyone else have any recommendations in this area?

Thank you,
Greg
I have been traveling since 2007. Always stay overnight at rest stops/areas. The signs that you see " no overnight camping" are a legal disclaimer. That allows you to be evicted if you are a problem. Having said all that we have never been asked to leave a road side rest area.
When we stay at Walmart we call the location store manager and ask if we can spend the night. Most of the time they say yes, but in a few case's local ordinance doesn't allow overnight camping.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

jerryjay11

If the camping World being referred to is in Bridgeport, NJ don't expect to find room to camp overnight. We purchased our rig there and just trying to find room to park for service was a challenge. Even just maneuvering through the lot was tight with all the inventory and owner's RV's in for service. I'd rather stop at rest areas on 95. Though traveling from Rhode Island to Delaware was always a one day trip so we didn't hold overnight anywhere.

chaplady

The camping world in Swedesboro is tight for parking too once they started selling campers there.

GregD904

I have been traveling since 2007. Always stay overnight at rest stops/areas. The signs that you see " no overnight camping" are a legal disclaimer. That allows you to be evicted if you are a problem. Having said all that we have never been asked to leave a road side rest area.
When we stay at Walmart we call the location store manager and ask if we can spend the night. Most of the time they say yes, but in a few case's local ordinance doesn't allow overnight camping.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks!