Pacific Region Travel Discussion to Gillette WY-National Rally

wdk450

Ross bought his Senior Pass (it was called "Golden Age pass" then) 5 yrs ago when he turned 62 for $10 at the entrance to a Nat'l Park. I'm not sure how we knew about it, but we just had to ask for it, pay the $10 and we had it on the spot. You can buy one at any Nat'l Park entrance or Monument etc where a fee is required. It's a tremendous savings.:) Ross always carries it in his wallet. I should probably laminate it as it's good for a lifetime. He just always has to show his ID when using it.

BTW, anyone who is eligible for a state Disabled vehicle placard can get an equivilent Federal Parks pass without having to be 62.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Well, we have decided that unless the weather won't allow it, we will be taking a northern route from southern Oregon to Gillette. We haven't picked the exact route or stopping points, so advice about southern Idaho and a route from there to Gillette would be appreciated.

Mark just really doesn't want to drive through the desolation of NV and take a day driving south before we even really start on the trip. We have seen most of that area before, but ID and across is all new for us.

Anyone else thinking of the same kind of route starting on June 8th or 9th? That is the earliest we can leave, since I still have to work. We want to arrive in Gillette early in the day on the 13th.

Now after the rally is wide open. We want to see Mt. Rushmore, at least part of Yellowstone, maybe Glacier National Park, and come home through northern WA, maybe even as far over as the Olympic Peninsula before heading home to south central Oregon. Then, we have to rest up for the Pacific Regional Rally in August.

Should be a good retirement trip for Mark and a good introduction to living for a length of time in the 5ver with two dogs, one of which will weigh close to 80lbs by then.

Kristy

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Here's our plan. We will be in Burns, OR on June 8. Followed by Mountain Home ID and Salmon ID the 9th and 10th. Then we'll hit Butte MT followed by Sheridan WY with an early arrival in Gillette on the 13th.

After the rally, we plan to go to Hill City SD to see Mt. Rushmore and the surrounding area. Then we are going to work our way west through Billings, to Gardner at the north entrance of Yellowstone for 4 days. Then we'll go to Jellystone at Missoula for a night before heading into ID at Coeur D'Alene for 3 days. Back to OR for a night in Hermiston, before heading for the coast at Astoria where we plan to visit Kona's parents and sister so she can run around with some other German Shepherds. Down to Lincoln City for a couple of days and then hit Casey's at Westfir for July 3rd and 4th. Home sweet home after that.

We have made all the reservations for the trip up to the point of our arrival at Billings. I think maybe we should start a thread for post rally trip discussion in case anyone overlaps and wants to meet. The guy at Crooked Creek RV Park in SD seemed interested in trying to keep a group of us together if we were going to be there together.

Kristy

wdk450

Kristy:
I think there is a group (including Jim B.) going directly to the Mt. Rushmore area right after the national rally, all staying at the same park. I am going there between the Gillette and Cody rallies, and think I may have made a reservation at the same park as this group. Sorry, I don't have the specific info at hand.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I think they are planning on staying at the Rafter J Bar. The Palmer Gulch resort KOA is nice too. Here are a couple photos from when we were there last year.

Attachments

• Image004.jpg
    Image004.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Image006.jpg
    Image006.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 15

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Both Crooked Creek and Rafter J (which looks nice too) are in Hill City, so we'll still be close. The rates are similar as are the policies, so we'll keep our reservation since there is a cancellation fee. That can't stop us from all getting together for a tour or whatever..... LOL

Kristy

rarnold

This is our first time to plan time & distance for a 3-4 day trip. I would like some input if anyone is familiar with this. We plan on leaving Sacramento on Sunday the 10th if it will take 3 days. Plan to follow I-80 to Wells, NV the first night then to someplace north of Slt Lk Cty (Fort Bridger or Lyman, WY) and then hopefully make it to Gillette from there. I go 60 to 65 MPH and registered to arrive at the rally on the 12th. Is this realistic?

Ziggy, if you are the go-to person, would you include us on the NorCal/PNW grouping at the rally?

We have also registered to attend the No. Calif rally at Oroville at the end of March. Maybe I can compare notes with fellow Heartlanders at that time. Looking forward to seeing all of you.

Happy trails to all. Be safe

Rod

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I think you are in for some very long days with that schedule. As far as being the go to person, that is actually John Dawson who is the PNW Regional Director. I will pass the info on though. I'll mention it to JB too if I talk to him. I think people from the region pretty much want to be in the same general area even if they don't feel the need to be grouped as Chapters. I love my Oregon/NorCal people I see most often, but I also think it would be fun to meet other people, especially ones from the region we travel most in.

We'll talk at Oroville, looking forward to meeting all the new people we haven't met yet.

Kristy

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Although we may be in Utah in May, DW just informed me we have an 80th birthday party for my Father-in-law on June 2nd in Long Beach. (I wasn't planning on this. I thought we would be half way there sitting pretty in Utah.) :mad:

Is anyone leaving from Southern California, or Arizona around June 3rd and going towards Gillette?
We are planning to leave around June 3rd arriving on June 9th. (give or take)

Everyone here in So. Cal. who was going, is now dropping out on Gillette. Thanks Trace

back2nature

Although we may be in Utah in May, DW just informed me we have an 80th birthday party for my Father-in-law on June 2nd in Long Beach. (I wasn't planning on this. I thought we would be half way there sitting pretty in Utah.) :mad:

Is anyone leaving from Southern California, or Arizona around June 3rd and going towards Gillette?
We are planning to leave around June 3rd arriving on June 9th. (give or take)

Everyone here in So. Cal. who was going, is now dropping out on Gillette. Thanks Trace

Hi Trace & Teri,

We are planning on leaving Acton (near Palmdale) on June 7. Then going to Zion for 3 nights. Arriving in Gillette on June 12.

TandT

Lori, Okay thanks.
Right now we are paid in Gillette starting on June 9th. This party I spoke of in LA area, really complicates things for me.

If it wasn't for that situation we would be in Kanab, which is only about 40 mins from Zion.
That would work out perfectly. Let me try to figure something out and I will get back to this a bit later. Trace

Last edited:

back2nature

Lori, Okay thanks.
Right now we are paid in Gillette starting on June 9th. This party I spoke of in LA area, really complicates things for me.

If it wasn't for that situation we would be in Kanab, which is only about 40 mins from Zion.
That would work out perfectly. Let me try to figure something out and I will get back to this a bit later. Trace

We got our rezzies (6/7, 6/8, 6/9, depart 6/10 in the morning) at http://www.zionriverresort.com/index.html. It's kind of pricey, but the photos look so pretty and we've never camped at Zion before. Night of 6/10, probably somewhere above Provo. We haven't got any rezzies yet. We thought of bypassing all that traffic in Salt Lake City and got up through Heber. Been there, done that, last summer. Traffic is horrible in SLC. Especially with a big RV.

TandT

We got our rezzies (6/7, 6/8, 6/9, depart 6/10 in the morning) at http://www.zionriverresort.com/index.html. It's kind of pricey, but the photos look so pretty and we've never camped at Zion before. Night of 6/10, probably somewhere above Provo. We haven't got any rezzies yet. We thought of bypassing all that traffic in Salt Lake City and got up through Heber. Been there, done that, last summer. Traffic is horrible in SLC. Especially with a big RV.

Lori,
Zion River is a nice, well kept park and fairly close to Zion.
We stayed there last summer for a few days. It is a bit pricey as you said.

Another good one is Willowind in Hurricane. It's a bit cheaper, but it's also a little bit further (maybe 40 mins), from Zion

Zion Canyon RV resort in Springdale is right at the entrance to the park. It's a bit of a parking lot, but very convenient. You can ride the shuttle into the park which is cool.

I just had this thing in my head that I wanted to get to Gillette the weekend before the rally. (the 9th).
If we can some how work it out to cross paths with you before Gillette, I'll let you know. Thank you, Trace

back2nature

Ok, thanks. What are you doing after Gillette? We did Mt. Rushmore and Grand Tetons last summer, and we want to go back to the beautiful Tetons again. So we are hitting that after Gillette. Then it's on the Glacier National Park.

TandT

Ok, thanks. What are you doing after Gillette? We did Mt. Rushmore and Grand Tetons last summer, and we want to go back to the beautiful Tetons again. So we are hitting that after Gillette. Then it's on the Glacier National Park.

Lori, Not exactly sure yet. We may go to Yellowstone for a few days. Maybe Tetons. Trace

TXTiger

I just bought my Cyclone 4014 last week and signed up for the rally. I live in San Diego and plan on leaving on the 9th or 10th and arriving in Gillette Wed the 13th. Would love to follow any group leaving from So Cal. Plan on taking the I-15 to SLC and the I-80 to Rawlings, WY and then head up to Gillette, not sure of the route? Maybe stop for the night somewhere past LV, maybe St George or Ceder City UT, and stop a second night somewhere past SLC? Anyone else from So Cal going who would like to ride as a group? Would love the company on my first trip.

wdk450

Pulling out for Wells, Nevada today, and on to Yellowstone for 2weeks tomorrrow (if I can catch the cat this time to get her in her travel cage!).

back2nature

Pulling out for Wells, Nevada today, and on to Yellowstone for 2weeks tomorrrow (if I can catch the cat this time to get her in her travel cage!).

Bill, I feel your pain. Haha. We travel with two cats in two crates in the back seat of the truck. Have fun. Let's meet at at the rally and share cat stories. :)

back2nature

I just bought my Cyclone 4014 last week and signed up for the rally. I live in San Diego and plan on leaving on the 9th or 10th and arriving in Gillette Wed the 13th. Would love to follow any group leaving from So Cal. Plan on taking the I-15 to SLC and the I-80 to Rawlings, WY and then head up to Gillette, not sure of the route? Maybe stop for the night somewhere past LV, maybe St George or Ceder City UT, and stop a second night somewhere past SLC? Anyone else from So Cal going who would like to ride as a group? Would love the company on my first trip.

TwoToes,

It's so hard to get schedules to coincide with other travelers unless you plan it together from the start. We leave home on June 7th and stay three nights in Zion on the way up. Then one night above Heber, Utah, then one night at the Rawlins KOA on June 11, arriving at the rally on June 12. I don't think that matches your schedule.