Packing before moving

dmcessna

You know this is a rookie here after you read this question. Momma seems to think that before we tow the 5'th wheel down the road she will have to empty all the cupboards and pack everything up in the basement; pots, pans, dishes, food, etc. Please tell me it ain't so folks. I thought those cupboard doors seemed pretty secure and the shelves do have a lip on the front edge.
Marty & Mickey

danemayer

Re: Packing beforer moving

We're rookies too, but my wife loves to organize. Heavy things go low, light things high. Cups and plastic glasses are cushioned. Plates are separated and stored vertically. We just drove from Austin TX to Breckenridge, CO without any problem.

Buford445

Bungee Ball your cupboard doors shut and make sure any glass cups are secure

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

Have never unpacked a cabinet. Have never had one come open during transit. Guess there could be a first time for everything, but I think you'll be just fine leaving everything where it is.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

No, no, no. Basements are for man stuff.......... I have just been given permission to say that.
We travel with things stuffed in all the cabinets. My wife even has ceramic dinner ware in the overhead cabinet. I know some will cringe at that, but we have never had a problem with either of two rigs. We do however secure the doors with pony tail bands wherever possible.

Peace
Dave

Riverman

Now that would take all the fun out of camping!
We move nothing...just ensure all cabinet doors are latched and travel straps done up on TV's

jnbhobe

We don't tie down anything, sometimes we leave stuff on the counter, Our dinette table is not screwed down. nothing moves.

herefishy

Actually, just the opposite - stuff your cabinets so things don't rattle around in them.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member

Yes, Cookie you are right, only man stuff in the basement. And to keep that way wives are not allowed to have basement keys.

2010augusta

We put a small piece of shelf-liner between each plate and glass bowl, our glasses are lexan. we do put the kitchen-aid, toaster, and blender in a tote on the floor. We use hair-bands on the cabinet doors.

The only thing that has ever broke was a dirty plate that got left in the sink.with some silverware after lunch on the road.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

We use Corningware plates, and they haven't had a problem with no liners between them. Our glassware shelves have rubber lining material on them, and we've not had a problem with glass breakage. I've got some heavy ceramic beer mugs that travel well, too. Pots and pans stay in their drawers and canned goods in the pantry. So far, all of our cabinet latches have been pretty secure and none of the cabinets have popped open.

I don't think my wife has ever even opened a basement door, much less gotten anything out of there. If she did, she wouldn't need me around anymore :(

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired

Yes, Cookie you are right, only man stuff in the basement. And to keep that way wives are not allowed to have basement keys.

But seriously, you have got to be kidding. My fishing pole is in there! If I don't take my pole along who is going to teach John how to hook the big one? As you can see, my work here is "not done"!

Attachments

• IM001033.jpg
    IM001033.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_0053.jpg
    100_0053.jpg
    575.1 KB · Views: 34

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

We've lived and traveled for almost four years in our rig, and the only thing we've done is put the rubber shelf liner on the shelves to keep things from sliding. We have the older door hardware so there are a few cabinets that I bungee shut so they won't open...and using rubber mats, we leave the coffee maker and toaster right in it's spot on the counter...I just remove the glass carafe, wrap it in a towel, and set it in the sink...no problems!!

caissiel

We have been traveling with a 5th wheel for 18 years and never had any problem with leaving the stuff in the cabinet. Hardly move stuff on the cupboard by the stove and usually don't leave anything on the table or the island. Anything on the wall that will swing we remove because it leaves a mark while swinging.

My friends with rear kitchen, they had to put everything in the rear cupbord on the floor. So we put lighter stuff in the rear cabinets and just let that bounce around.

We used cupbord shelf liner once and everythig keeped falling down and I through the liner away at the next trip. Let the stuff slide around in the cabinet and it will not tip over.

We removed the table fasteners and rotate the table when traveling and also never tie the chairs. We do strap the swivel livingroom chairs to keep them from rocking. We do share the basement, but the man is in charge of that area.

cjbearden

Visitor

I use the non-slip shelf liner under everything and have had no problems with items being left on counter tops. Wrap the microwave dish and place in sofa drawer or somewhere that it can't slide around. My husband also uses a product called Quake Secure (http://www.gotputty.com/index.htm) to secure his all-in-one printer and desktop computer system.