Paper Friction Gasket

MallardHead

ee41391694938196b3e3837c41d572a0.jpg
Noticed a small leak, we'll our silverware drawer under galley sink had standing water... troubleshooting appears this, I guess factory installed paper gasket is the culprit as water was dripping and leaking around sink drain underneath.... anyone else finding this instead of a rubber seal or plumbers putty
72deee95614472942884c71b63441444.jpg

Kevin & Kandy Jones
HOC Member #3501
2017 Mallard M32

SLO

Re: Paper Gasket

From your bottom picture, looks like there was a rubber gasket on the sink strainer. Rubber gasket should have installed on underside of sink. Rubber gasket first then paper gasket then 3 1/2" nut. The paper gasket is not really a gasket but a friction washer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

donr827

When we had a little drip from sink drain all it took was to tighten the 3 1/2 nut which was not fully tight.
Don

Had same issue with our rig, used a plumbers tape which was like plumbers putty to solve problem. Was no rubber gasket just paper which rotted out.

jbeletti

Here's a link to a website that has a good explanation of how to put the sink drain/strainer basket together. It includes discussion on the paper friction gasket too.

wdk450

Here's a link to a website that has a good explanation of how to put the sink drain/strainer basket together. It includes discussion on the paper friction gasket too.

I sealed my sink strainers better early on in my ownership by re-mounting them using RVers Goop elastomeric adhesive as a sealant. I found that this works better than plumbers putty in a vehicle subject to road vibrations.

You can get RVers Goop in the RV section at Walmart.

AAdams

I replaced both of my strainers with these . They are easier to install, you can tighten them with a standard pair of 12" channel locks and just use a little plumbers puddy to seal. Also they are all metal, not plastic.
Strainer.jpg