Pedestal problem

carl.swoyer

Guy plugged in and then the whole thing started. Fire department is investigating for a cause.
The pedestal had a 30 a 50 and a 20 amp outlet.The gentleman plugged in with the 50 amp hookup downgraded it to 30 amp instead of plugging into the 30 amp adjacent to the 50 don't know what really took place. We shall see.
2399756e0415ec8f1c55dad2858bf629.jpg
4ce7be64b6db0b5c243aa07f76961fdc.jpg
36cdd3bfb18295b24623e8fc42827241.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

GK2018

Wow! Hopefully his camper is ok and didnt short anything out! I'd be curious to know how it happened.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My guess would be that his 30A adapter couldn’t handle the 50A that was flowing through it, overheated and melted before flaming. Just like overloading a power strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Well I spoke with the campground host and the 50 to 30 amp adapter was defective per the fire department.
You just never know what to expect.

carl.swoyer

My guess would be that his 30A adapter couldn’t handle the 50A that was flowing through it, overheated and melted before flaming. Just like overloading a power strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That what the fire department determined.

GK2018

That makes sense, I'm surprised it didn't trip the breaker before catching fire though but you know electricity can do some wild things!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

avvidclif

If it was an adapter he had never used or was new I can understand a dead short in the adapter. Other scenario would be the rv drawing too much current and overloading the adapter cord. 2 AC's on a 30A cord will cause problems.

carl.swoyer

If it was an adapter he had never used or was new I can understand a dead short in the adapter. Other scenario would be the rv drawing too much current and overloading the adapter cord. 2 AC's on a 30A cord will cause problems.
He was in a new class c. Good chance that it was the first time he used the adapter.