pin assembly hitting side rails of truck bed

phils51

I purchased a Big Horn
3270fith wheel new last August. Towing with a 2011 3500 Dodge diesel short bed with super glide hitch. dealer installed conversion plate on king pin assembly. Problem is the king pin assembly is hitting the side rail of he truck on driver side whenever cut the wheels when backing approximately 55 degree or more. I have a roll and lock bed cover on the truck which if removed would provide another 1 1/2" clearance but fear even if removed am still going to hit side of truck. Prior to Big Horn was towing Carriage 366 LS without issues with same truck and hitch. Suspect the solution will involve new hitch but wondering if anybody else has encountered this problem.

GOTTOYS

Lots of us have the same problem. It's because the pinbox is too long and when it swings on a turn it goes outside the box. Mine clears by about an inch and a half. I have to be careful and watch it. I've seen a few trim off the end of the trailer frame where the pinbox bolts on. If Heartland would extend the trailer frame a bit forward then you wouldn't need such a long pinbox. If you shorten the pinbox you may not have enouigh clearance between the truck and the front of the trailer...Don't have a much better answer. maybe somebody has...Don

Dean-Pam

I had the same issue and when at the Goshen Rally, MorRyde dropped the pinbox one hole...no more issue with the truck side rails.

GOTTOYS

My pinbox is in the last set of holes. I have over 9" of clearance when parked on level ground slightly more than I need. The nose of my trailer is about 3" too high. If I adjust the hitch so it levels out the trailer then it will hit the box sides on a turn. So as it it sits there isn't anything more that I can do except find a shorter pinbox. I have a Trail-Aire Tri-Glide. The next shorter model will require closing the tailgate before I can connect to the pin. At this point it works but it isn't the way I would like it. If there ever is a next trailer this length will certainly be a consideration...Don

phils51

Lots of us have the same problem. It's because the pinbox is too long and when it swings on a turn it goes outside the box. Mine clears by about an inch and a half. I have to be careful and watch it. I've seen a few trim off the end of the trailer frame where the pinbox bolts on. If Heartland would extend the trailer frame a bit forward then you wouldn't need such a long pinbox. If you shorten the pinbox you may not have enouigh clearance between the truck and the front of the trailer...Don't have a much better answer. maybe somebody has...Don

Thanks Don, guess Will call Heartand to see if can they recommend a solution

GOTTOYS

Thanks Don, guess Will call Heartland to see if can they recommend a solution
Please let us know what they tell you. To me the only solution is to cut off the excess metal behind where the pinbox is bolted on, but I'm reluctant to do that. To cure the problem the overall length of the pinbox needs to be about 30" from the kingpin to the rear of the frame it's mounted to. Then it could swing around and stay inside the pickup box without hitting the rails. That may not be the exact length but it's close. Just too dang cold to go outside and measure my truck to get the exact number....Don

phils51

Thanks to all that responded. I sent pictures to Heartland but no response of yet. Pretty sure the solution is going to involve new hitch. Super Glide I have now has no vertical adjustment and top of hitch is about three inches below truck bed sides. Looking for new hitch that has height adjustments so can raise height up closer to top truck bed sides.

Hippy

Yes they make pins to raise but now the front is raised higher you'll lose max ( example-18K down to 16k ) I had the same issue and made a dent on my truck bed. I had to switch / buy the 5th airborne which the dealership I bought my 5th from looked into and recommended. I had the Trailer pin box prior.

phils51

Thank you. The Super Glide I have (purchased it when bought used 2000 Carriage LS 366) is monster, very heavy, 26K, and take up more than I/2 my short bed. Thinking of up grading to newer/lighter technology. Would be interested in any recommendations. Truck is Dodge 3500 2011 model and trailer is 2016 3270 with standard pin box. My neighbor has late model 3180 and no longer uses glide hitch, says can turn the trailer 85 degrees plus without hitting rear of cab. I do need hitch with adjustable height. Any opinions, recommendations much appreciated.

Hippy

Also, I had a 16k pullrite super glide that was old and needed to be greased. Pain in the rear. Just upgraded to 20K
(Dec 2015 )Superglide Pullrite. Spray WD only. Thought of not getting a slider however read other threads with very close Incounters with the cap vs cab.

brianlajoie

I have no clearance issues with my 16k superglide and F350. I have the 3010RE Bighorn with standard pin box.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I have no clearance issues with my 16k superglide and F350. I have the 3010RE Bighorn with standard pin box.

X2 and I have to back up my driveway and yard on a bias to get the BH in its resting spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired

X2 and I have to back up my driveway and yard on a bias to get the BH in its resting spot.

OP has a rolling cover with side rails that extend into the bed area, that is the issue for him.

Thank you. The Super Glide I have (purchased it when bought used 2000 Carriage LS 366) is monster, very heavy, 26K, and take up more than I/2 my short bed. Thinking of up grading to newer/lighter technology. Would be interested in any recommendations. Truck is Dodge 3500 2011 model and trailer is 2016 3270 with standard pin box. My neighbor has late model 3180 and no longer uses glide hitch, says can turn the trailer 85 degrees plus without hitting rear of cab. I do need hitch with adjustable height. Any opinions, recommendations much appreciated.

My only suggestions involve air, either for the hitch or the pin box. There have been a few folks that cut the end of the pin box frame on an angle to give the needed clearance. I have thought of doing that several times,

Currently I have a hensley ts-3 hitch which uses airbags to set the ride height and offer air cushioning.
When I know I will be getting close, I air up the bags to max and gain some extra clearance, maybe 2" extra height (I also made a change to my hitch that allows extra height over stock)
That almost always works as long as I don't have a crown on the the road to deal with as well when backing in.

Even being careful and with the hitch air up to give full height I still tagged one of the rails at a tight sight in PA this year.
I intend to do another change to the hitch to gain even more height over the winter.

If you had a 5th Airborne or trail-air air cushioned pinbox you may be able to do the same - gain some clearance by maxing the bag.