Pin Box Cover for MORryde Rubber Pin Box

David-and-Cheryl

I replaced the stock Lippert 1621-HD pin box on my 2013 Landmark with a new MORryde Rubber Pin Box. Unfortunately, the nice streamlined plastic shroud that covered the stock pin box does not fit over the front of the much wider MORryde pin box.

Does Heartland sell a replacement shroud that is compatible with the MORryde RPB?

If not, is there any harm in towing our rig without the shroud in place? I assume it's just for cosmetic purposes, but I want to be sure.

RoadJunkie

No damage potential for traveling without the shroud covering. It is my understanding that Heartland is not going to supply the shroud on future models anyway.

sjandbj

I replaced the stock Lippert 1621-HD pin box on my 2013 Landmark with a new MORryde Rubber Pin Box. Unfortunately, the nice streamlined plastic shroud that covered the stock pin box does not fit over the front of the much wider MORryde pin box.

Does Heartland sell a replacement shroud that is compatible with the MORryde RPB?

If not, is there any harm in towing our rig without the shroud in place? I assume it's just for cosmetic purposes, but I want to be sure.

When I order my Big Country from the factory with the Morryde pin box the unit did not come with a cover. I have towed mine all over the place without a cover and have had no problems.

rxbristol

I cut mine to fit and then trimmed it with a piece of automotive rubber trim that I got off EBay to cover up the cut area. It looks like it was designed as custom OEM equipment.

Last edited:

David-and-Cheryl

I cut mine to fit and then trimmed it with a piece of automotive rubber trim that I got of EBay to cover up the cut area. It looks like it was designed as custom OEM equipment.

I was thinking about doing that. How did you cut it? If you have a photo of the finished project I'd love to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rxbristol

Sooooo sorry. I went out tonight to get a photo--I think it shows what you want to see. I cut my cover with a tin snip and bought the trim off eBay.

1114161929a.jpg

I'd still like to see this if you have a chance to snap a photo or two.

farside291

I trimmed mine to fit also. Put the cover on so the front rides above the rubber movable part of the hitch. Take a marker and mark where it's hitting. Trim a little, mark some more, trim some more taking a little off at a time. I used a good pair of Cutco shears to make the cuts. Take your time, it will fit the Mor Ryde pin box. Use the self tapping screws and make some new holes, the old holes wont line up. Take some RTV and seal the edges. I would take pictures but the trailers in storage 70 miles south. Oh yea, don't forget the two self tapping screws in the front of the cover.

David-and-Cheryl

Thanks, both of you. Farside921, what is RTV? rxbristol, do you know what the auto trim you used is called?

farside291

RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanizing and is that clear or white or even black stuff that comes in a tube it comes out as a liquid but then it hardens when exposed to air it becomes like a rubber. It's kind of like caulking but a little more permanent. You can find it at Wally World over by the sealants.

rxbristol

Here's the link for the trim. If I had to do it again, I would use a Dremel for a much cleaner and more accurate cut, but with the trim you can't tell how messy my cuts are. Get enough trim to not only cover your cut, but around the sides like my picture shows--it will look better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171222731304?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thanks, both of you. Farside921, what is RTV? rxbristol, do you know what the auto trim you used is called?

David-and-Cheryl

9c7bfe5c6b2201dcf317308c207e917c.jpg
84034a7a1eb6f9b40b28a389e0f4efdc.jpg

Here are a couple photos of my finished project. I used a rotary tool to cut the plastic and then to smooth the edges, which I painted with touch up paint to match the color of the rest of the piece, so I didn't need to add any trim. My shroud had an indentation on the top (probably for rigidity) that kept it from laying flat on the MORryde pin box, so I had to cut it just behind that. At least it hides the area where the pin box bolts to the trailer and dresses it up a little.

Gary521

I think it looks pretty good.I would add a brace across the bottom to connect the "wings" together to keep them from "flying" up. Just a thought.

jimtoo

The bottom corners look awful sharp. I would think they need to be rounded off a little, but other than that it looks good.

David-and-Cheryl

I think it looks pretty good.I would add a brace across the bottom to connect the "wings" together to keep them from "flying" up. Just a thought.
Yeah, I was thinking about that. I noticed yesterday that the sides vibrate quite a bit at highway speeds. I don't think they'd fly up unless the plastic weakens to the point of breaking, but obviously I want to prevent that.
The bottom corners look awful sharp. I would think they need to be rounded off a little, but other than that it looks good.
They do look sharp in the photo, but it's not as bad in reality. I did round them off very slightly so they're not dangerous. In hindsight I think it might have looked better if I'd actually cut a curved corner, but I'm not going to mess with it now. :)