Pin box flex

When hooking up my 4100 today I noticed the pin box flexes up when lowering on the truck.

Is is this normal? It has also developed a tick/pop in the pin box area when towing. I'm 100% sure it is the camper and not the hitch.

My my repair guy was just here to look at it and he is concerned as well. A call will be made to Heartland!!

Anyone else have this issue?

danemayer

Hi cycloneracer,

For your call to Heartland, take some pictures. If possible put the camera on a tripod or some other stable object so the picture clearly shows the change between being hitched and unhitched.

asherwin

Mine flexes as well. Noticed it after I installed an Arvika bike rack to the pin box. Flexes approx. 1 to 1 1/2 in. I am interested in also knowing if this is normal or not.

ray587

some flex is normal, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch especially on heavier toy haulers. but 1 to 1 and 1/2 is too much. keep an eye on the molding around the overhang to see if its moving. mine has always flexed about 1/4 inch since new and I have seen some brand new toyhaulers on dealer lots that have some movement.

1231ChaseB

This flexing is what caused me to go to a TS3 Hensley air bag hitch ! So far everything is fine with the pin box
chaseb

wdk450

When hooking up my 4100 today I noticed the pin box flexes up when lowering on the truck.

Is is this normal? It has also developed a tick/pop in the pin box area when towing. I'm 100% sure it is the camper and not the hitch.

My my repair guy was just here to look at it and he is concerned as well. A call will be made to Heartland!!

Anyone else have this issue?

I would advise you to search the term "Frame Flex" on this forum. You may want to use "Advanced Search" to be sure it searches for both words together.

Had the same problem with my Keystone Montana 5th wheel, but the flex was more like two inches. We pulled the skin off and discovered cracks in the welds between the goose neck and trailer frame. Now I'm the proud owner of a Heartland Sundance. The estimated cost of repair was greater than the value of the 12 year old trailer. I didn't realize it before, but the floor in the closet in the front cap was being pushed up. Also was having damage to counter tops in the bedroom, probably cause by the goose neck rising into the cabin area and twisting the cabinets. It was a fairly simple process to drop the skin around the goose neck, exposing the frame. Hair line cracks were clearly visible steel cross members attaching the goose neck to the frame. Hopefully, you won't find the same problem, but I'd check it closely.

danemayer

Had the same problem with my Keystone Montana 5th wheel, but the flex was more like two inches. We pulled the skin off and discovered cracks in the welds between the goose neck and trailer frame. Now I'm the proud owner of a Heartland Sundance. The estimated cost of repair was greater than the value of the 12 year old trailer. I didn't realize it before, but the floor in the closet in the front cap was being pushed up. Also was having damage to counter tops in the bedroom, probably cause by the goose neck rising into the cabin area and twisting the cabinets. It was a fairly simple process to drop the skin around the goose neck, exposing the frame. Hair line cracks were clearly visible steel cross members attaching the goose neck to the frame. Hopefully, you won't find the same problem, but I'd check it closely.
Do you actually mean goose neck, as opposed to 5th wheel hitch? Lippert, the frame manufacturer doesn't generally support using gooseneck hitches because of the additional force exerted on the frame. They have a device called a Goosebox that is supported. Regular gooseneck hitches are not and may lead to frame damage.

CabinetmakerII

I to was concerned with the flexing that was occurring while traveling. I can see the flexing in the rearview mirror. Fearing there was some structural failure at the pin box, I pulled the skin down to gain access and inspect the frame welds. Thankfully I found no evidence of failure. Some flexing is to be expected.

wdk450

I to was concerned with the flexing that was occurring while traveling. I can see the flexing in the rearview mirror. Fearing there was some structural failure at the pin box, I pulled the skin down to gain access and inspect the frame welds. Thankfully I found no evidence of failure. Some flexing is to be expected.

Part of the factory fix is to weld in triangular metal gusset plates at frame stress points to help prevent the welds from failing.

You should not only check pin box movement, but also the caulking around the trim on the bedroom overhang when hitched to your tow vehicle. We had visible flex on both sides when hitched. Heartland was very good to work with on ours and they made repairs even though it was two years out of warranty.

Mark

Dean-Pam

You should not only check pin box movement, but also the caulking around the trim on the bedroom overhang when hitched to your tow vehicle. We had visible flex on both sides when hitched. Heartland was very good to work with on ours and they made repairs even though it was two years out of warranty.

Mark

I will be calling Heartland today on this same issue. We returned from camping yesterday and while still hitched to the truck noticed the caulking on both sides of the bedroom overhang had separated. After parking the camper in the garage and unhooking, the caulking/trim was back to normal. We plan to go to Florida for 2 weeks in late Jan/early Feb and this flexing concerns me. Hopefully Heartland can help.

Dean

wdk450

If you think you have pinbox flex, another area to inspect/photograph with the pinbox unloaded/loaded is on the inside at the front wall nearest the pinbox area (inside the bedroom closet on my model). See if wood cabinetry, etc. is coming apart from the wall movement.

Dean-Pam

Bill,

I did an inspection of the bedroom and didn't see any movement. FYI - called Heartland Cust Svc and sent them the pictures they requested...just waiting for their decision. The two pictures show the separation of the caulking on each side...when unhitched, everything looks normal.

Attachments

• hitched.jpg
    hitched.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 93
  • hitched 2.jpg
    hitched 2.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 82

wdk450

Bill,

I did an inspection of the bedroom and didn't see any movement. FYI - called Heartland Cust Svc and sent them the pictures they requested...just waiting for their decision. The two pictures show the separation of the caulking on each side...when unhitched, everything looks normal.

I had my independent RV Repairer involved, and he sold the frame flex problem to Heartland service with pictures of ruler tape measurements to ground from the pinbox unloaded and loaded(bearing the trailer's weight). He used his forklift for easy access between the pinbox and ground, lifting the pin up so that the landing gear was just beginning to lift off the ground. I think he measured 3 - 4 inches flex at the pinbox.

BTW, post Heartland repair the wood cabinetry for the storage area next (ODS) to the closet did NOT attach to the front wall. I installed a good -sized metal shelf angle bracket and only tied down the wall side of it, as it still flexes in/out some. The unscrewed side of the bracket under the cabinetry acts as moveable cabinet weight support.

Dean-Pam

Heartland called me and said after review of all the pictures I sent and though the camper is out of warranty, they would like to make the necessary repairs to the camper...the caveat is I need to deliver it to the factory in Indiana. I asked if it was safe to make an 800 mile trip and he felt it was. Looks like a road trip for me, but can't say enough about Heartland standing behind their product.

Kbvols

Heartland called me and said after review of all the pictures I sent and though the camper is out of warranty, they would like to make the necessary repairs to the camper...the caveat is I need to deliver it to the factory in Indiana. I asked if it was safe to make an 800 mile trip and he felt it was. Looks like a road trip for me, but can't say enough about Heartland standing behind their product.
Awesome they are fixing mime in April. I have put close to 1000 miles on mine since they agreed to fix and no issues hopefully you have no issues either.