Pin box upgrades

danmize

Hi all from Austin Tx

Wondering if anyone has experience with the GenY executive fifthwheel gooseneck conversion pinbox with the torsion bar system? We had a 2015 cyclone 4200 which unfortunately burned to the ground December 2018 while in storage. I had upgraded the pin box to a moreryde and it helped with the chucking but didn't help enough. We bought a new 2019 cyclone 4007 in Januarary 2019 and I upgraded the pin box to a trailair flexair. It helped to but were still getting beaten up. Im looking at the GenY gooseneck conversion pin box. It uses tortion bars and they claim they provide the smoothest ride. I was even told by the manufacturer if I don't like it, they will take it back. Has anyone had experience with this pin box? what are your thoughts? Any input with be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dan mize

danemayer

Hi Dan,

No experience here, but something to consider when looking at gooseneck setups. Traditional gooseneck hitches put enormous stress on the upper frame at the front of the RV. As a result, Lippert (who warrants the frame), will tell you that using a gooseneck, other than with the Reese Goosebox, will void your frame warranty. You might want to talk to the pinbox manufacturer about seeking Lippert's approval, or giving you an ironclad written warranty against frame damage to the RV.

Your current rig appears to be just over a year old, so the Lippert frame warranty has already expired. However, occasionally, these trailers, even with traditional 5th wheel hitches, can have upper frame damage after the warranty expiration. Typically Heartland and Lippert will fix the post-warranty damage as a goodwill accommodation. If you're using an unapproved gooseneck, and have damage, you may not get a goodwill accommodation and would have to pay for the repair.

danmize

Thanks for your input. I am aware of the warranty issues. The reese goosbox is only rated at 4000# toung weight and Im pushing 5k so that one is out.

rhodies1

How’s your suspension on your tow vehicle.At 5 k you are extremely heavy., your chucking could be a factor that your truck suspension is bouncing caused by the weight. Maybe the truck is your cause.
As Dan mentioned..goosenecks add a lot of strain on your frame and your heavy up front to begin your hauling journey.
I would see what your trucks load weight rating is ..maybe this is the area to focus on instead of the trailer.

Garypowell

As just suggested try looking at other factors first. When I converted pin box it took about six months to find the right combination of air pressure and hitch position.

if you define a route try different things and then run the circuit.

danmize

My truck is a 2011 Silverado dually 4x4 crew cab long bed with auto leveling airbags in the rear. Yes I agree 5k is heavy. The fifth wheels dry pin weight is 3600. Add 110 gallons of fresh water and all of the things I have in the front storage compartment and there it is. Im actually going to weigh the pin weight this weekend to be sure

Matt750

What 5th wheel hitch are you currently using in the bed of the truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXgearhead

Thanks for your input. I am aware of the warranty issues. The reese goosbox is only rated at 4000# toung weight and Im pushing 5k so that one is out.
I recently saw a new Landmark advertised, including pics, with a Reese Goosebox. I can't imagine what they're thinking. I'm at 4,500# and could be more.
Some guidance from Heartland to dealers may be required.

Fox

If you've got 5K on the pin then I believe you need much more truck than a 3500 Chev.

Admittedly I don't know your hitch but the name implies air - which I assume combats the up/down movements. Chucking requires something to combat the forward/ rearward motions between the truck and the 5th. Is that a feature of your new hitch?

danmize

I am currently using a B&W companion 20k fifth wheel hitch which slides and locks into my B&W gooseneck turnover ball hitch. The Trailair Flexair 21k pin box has an airbag, a shock, and also has a rubber pad similar to the Moreryde. The air bag definitely provides a smother ride as far as bounce. The back and forth movement can be shocking. My truck has no problem pulling or stopping this 20k 3 axle toy hauler and the air bags installed on the truck help keep it level. Also has brand new Bilstien shocks. I have moved the hitch slight back, forward and even raised it but made no difference.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since you plan on getting weighed this weekend be sure to do it with your toys loaded in the back of your Cyclone.
Will be interesting to know what the actual weight is at the pin.

Peace
Dave

Matt750

I am currently using a B&W companion 20k fifth wheel hitch which slides and locks into my B&W gooseneck turnover ball hitch. The Trailair Flexair 21k pin box has an airbag, a shock, and also has a rubber pad similar to the Moreryde. The air bag definitely provides a smother ride as far as bounce. The back and forth movement can be shocking. My truck has no problem pulling or stopping this 20k 3 axle toy hauler and the air bags installed on the truck help keep it level. Also has brand new Bilstien shocks. I have moved the hitch slight back, forward and even raised it but made no difference.

Have you checked to see if you have any slop, play, or movement with your B&W hitch (hitch, mounting point, etc.)? I’m also interested in your loaded pin weight and overall trailer weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiefneon

Howdy!

I purchased a new truck a year ago a Chevrolet 3500 DRW LTZ 2L Custom Hauler. I decided not to go with the conventional 5er hitch this time. After much research I found that the Reece Goose Box was the only goose neck hitch approved by Lippert. I replaced the pin box on our 2014 Cycone 4000 with a 20,000lb Goose Box. The GB has a airbag and shocks with it the hitch. My truck also has air ride system. After using the GB for over a year of fulltiming I’m totally satisfied with it. As fulltimers we travel with a full load of water and carry a Smart Car in the toy room. The truck pull great, smooth and comfortable with the GB.

” Happy Trails “
Chiefneon

Last edited:

danmize

^^^What's your pin weight?
I checked the pin weight this weekend. Im at 3400-3500 with the 4 wheelers in the back however my fresh water tank was drained for the winter. Cant fill till I get it home. My fresh water is in the front and I will be adding close to 1k with the tank full. I know not all of that weight will be on the pin so I have decided to go with the 4500 lb pin weight 30k GenY gooseneck pin box. Some have expressed concerns about the frame warranty. It is an entire pin box replacement just like the goosebox. The ones that put undue stress on the frames are the adapters that bolt onto existing pin boxes. According to GenY it will not void the warranty. They also say guaranteed best ride and said if I don't like they will take it back. I will let you know how it goes. Im leaving on a week long hunt in south Texas next week so I will have some good seat time for review. Thanks to all who chimed in.

TXgearhead

I checked the pin weight this weekend. Im at 3400-3500 with the 4 wheelers in the back however my fresh water tank was drained for the winter. Cant fill till I get it home. My fresh water is in the front and I will be adding close to 1k with the tank full. I know not all of that weight will be on the pin so I have decided to go with the 4500 lb pin weight 30k GenY gooseneck pin box. Some have expressed concerns about the frame warranty. It is an entire pin box replacement just like the goosebox. The ones that put undue stress on the frames are the adapters that bolt onto existing pin boxes. According to GenY it will not void the warranty. They also say guaranteed best ride and said if I don't like they will take it back. I will let you know how it goes. Im leaving on a week long hunt in south Texas next week so I will have some good seat time for review. Thanks to all who chimed in.

That should work.Please give us an update. Where you buying the Gen Y?
I spent some time on the north side of Webb County off HWY 83. Lots of game, including mountain lion. Where you headed?

danmize

That should work.Please give us an update. Where you buying the Gen Y?
I spent some time on the north side of Webb County off HWY 83. Lots of game, including mountain lion. Where you headed?
Headed to La Pryor in Zavala county. Its a Javalena and hog archery hunt. We go on this hunt every year. About 300 hunters 80k acres. 30th annual but ive only been going for 6. Friends of ours for 25 plus.

Last edited:

TXgearhead

Headed to La Pryor in Lavala county. Its a Javalena and hog archery hunt. We go on this hunt every year. About 300 hunters 80k acres. 30th annual but ive only been going for 6. Friends of ours for 25 plus.
Sounds like fun. Hogs are taking over the world. Attacked and killed a woman down at Anahuac.
All my time down there was installing natural gas compressors on the Piloncillo Ranch next to Strait's ranch just south of Catarina. Interesting country. I enjoyed it more than I first expected.
Let us know what you think of the hitch.

danmize

Sounds like fun. Hogs are taking over the world. Attacked and killed a woman down at Anahuac.
All my time down there was installing natural gas compressors on the Piloncillo Ranch next to Strait's ranch just south of Catarina. Interesting country. I enjoyed it more than I first expected.
Let us know what you think of the hitch.
For sure I will let you know

danmize

For sure I will let you know
Well after several hundred miles, I was pleased with the GenY goose box. The bucking did not completely go away but was much less and when it did buck, it stopped quicker due to the torsion bars absorbing it. I went with the 4500# pin weight model but I think I might have had even a better ride with the 5500# one. I am very happy with this setup. No more fifth wheel hitch to remove again.