Plastic Ring for 50 Amp Power Cord

Garypowell

During our last trip I broke the plastic ring that holds/seals the Marinco power cord to our rig. The power cord is still in fairly good shape and I am not 100% sure I need the ring as the connector has a twist type lock.

The yellow plastic part of the connector seems pliable enough if I could simply find a new ring to slip over it and it would be back to normal.

Has anyone had experience with this?
Do I really have to have this ring or will things work just fine without it?
Is there some source where I could just buy the ring?

Marinco seems to only sell a new "jacket" for like $25 and the one review for it said it was "worthless".

And before anyone suggests this should be a warranty item I kept my old power cord when we bought the 3010 in November. I had modified the male end with a pull handle type connector and decided to keep it....so I left the new (and warranted) cord with my old 3055 at the dealership.

Thanks for your help.

Plastic Ring.JPGPlug end shot.JPG

GOTTOYS

I wouldn't worry about it. I've never been able to get mine to grab and gave up on it...Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The threaded ring is part of the weather-proofing of the connection and takes some of the strain off the connection. But, looking at Marinco's website and some others, it looks like you do have to buy the entire cover assembly to replace it.

Looking at your photos, if it were my rig, I'd replace the entire plug, since you've also damaged the body of it. Your financial mileage may vary.

Garypowell

Porthole,

West Marine has it for $13.50 and it will be in the store on Friday. Thanks again for the suggestion.

porthole

Retired
Let the end sit in the sun a bit to soften up or light use of a hair dryer. Just enough to make it a bit more flexible.