Plugged in to 50 amp and still run of gas?

Jjohnso

I have a 2021 Landmark Tuscon. I was under the impression that when plugged in to 50 Amp shore power, that the furnace system ran off of power. When on an extended trip we ran out of propane one night and lost heat, however, we were hooked to power. Any help please.

6.7LMegaCab

The furnace runs on propane and uses 12V (batteries) to run the blower. If you need heat without propane, you'll need to see if your overhead AC can have a heat strip added to it.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

6.7LMegaCab

You're welcome!

I know what it's like to run out of propane. We were in an area a few years ago that doesn't have any refill stations open on weekends and we ran out at about 3am on a Monday morning. Needless to say, I was at the closest location right as they opened to have the bottles refilled. They barely had time to unlock their doors lol.

An alternative you might want to try is one of those oil filled radiant heaters. We used one a few years ago and seemed to just barely knock the chill off. Even a ceramic desktop heater will do wonders!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Take a look at the Mopeka Products propane tank monitor system. Monitors the levels in your propane tanks and bluetooths it to your smartphone. Also has a small LED readout device that you can mount inside the rig. Now that I don't have a RV, I use it to monitor the tanks for my grill.

wdk450

The propane makes the furnace heat, the 12 volts DC system (with the shore powered converter/charger) provides the power for the furnace blower motor.

If you have grid shorepower, some alternatives for heating are: Electric fireplace heat, electric space heaters, heating strip added to the air conditioner system, or the Cheap Heat furnace electric heating element system : https://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/ . These alternatives keep you from buying pricey propane in extended heating climates.

taskswap

When camped on full hookups we travel with a pair of 1500W heaters that we run in the front and back bedrooms. It makes a huge difference in our propane usage. Basically the same recommendation as the oil-filled units mention above, but they're a) less efficient (con), but also b) smaller and easier to store (pro).

I really like the looks of the CheapHeat. I might try it next season. Thanks for the tip.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I'm a huge fan of the "Cheap Heat" option. I love to turn it on early in the morning and in 30 minutes or so, the trailer is toasty warm. I installed mine soon after buying my 2018 Oshkosh and we are still using the original propane bottles. Wife uses only induction burner and microwave/convection oven to cook. No more lugging heavy propane bottles for me!