plumbing problems

mlpeloquin

I noticed several postings that had bad sewer smells. Heartland has used a black air admittance valve which cost $5.95 at Lowe's. Ours went bad during our two and a half month trip which included the 2015 Heartland Factory Rally. I finally discovered the source. I replaced it with a $25.99 one which meets code for homes. While on the factory tour, I noticed that Heartland is using this in the new Landmarks, Big Horns, and Big Country fifth wheels.

Second. You need to check out check valve attached to the water heater. You will have to remove the storage compartment wall to have access. If it is the black plastic one, replace it with the Camco brass check valve. Part number 23303. You can find this on Amazon.

Our gray water valves began to get heard to operate the last four weeks. The shower valve finally would not close all the way. I have service the kitchen sink valve #1 today. I cleaned the rubber gaskets, which were in good shape and put plenty of Vaseline on them. I sprayed the outside assembly with dry silicone spray. I also sprayed the cable at the handle with silicone. Works better than new. Easy to do and find on our 2014 Big Horn 3210. I am going to contact Heartland about the location of the other gray number 2 valve.

I use Happy Camper in the black water tank and the valve works as good as new. It not only breaks down the toilet paper, but lubes the valve as well.

The only other problem with water was a leak in the storage compartment. The PEX fitting was leaking. It turned out that it was the fresh water line that is for the black tank rinse. I was bypassing the pressure regulator. At one park the we were warned that the park pressure was 100 psi. Between that and the pounding the fitting joints were taking from the air in the line, one began to leak. I cut the plastic PEX 90 out and replaced it with a brass Shark Bite fitting. Shark Bite fittings are good for copper and PEX pipe. I now make sure all water goes through a pressure regulator.

I hopes the helps others with the same problems.

Last edited:
Where is that valve? I have a Heartland Savannah and I have really bad sewer smell. Drained the black tank and flushed for an hour. No difference.

mlpeloquin

Where is that valve? I have a Heartland Savannah and I have really bad sewer smell. Drained the black tank and flushed for an hour. No difference.

The air admittance valve is in the island kitchen sink cabinet. If you open the cabinet door and look to the left side, at least in our rig, there is a pipe with a admittance valve capping the end. It allows air into the pipe when water goes down the drain. The valve is controlled by a spring. If the valve gets stuck open, you have a direct opening into the gray water tank. The smell of gray water is worse than the black water tank. The valve unscrews with slip joint pliers. Use teflon tape on the threads when putting on the new valve. Don't replace it with the cheep one.

On a class C rig we used to have, the smell came from the tank vent pipe on the roof when the wind blew towards the open roof vent!

jimtoo

It is just past the "P" trap under the sink. To test you could just wrap the vent, the part sticking up, with some of the clear sticky wrap the wife uses on stuff. :) Finally,,, thought of it.... Saran Wrap... :)

Jim M

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ya I have a 2015 Landmark 365 Ashland and I'm having some of the same issues. wondering if that's it. I flush the tank out thoroughly every time, and it still stinks after not using it for a few weeks with clean treated tank.. I have found with the Dometic 320 I will flush the valve part way to rinse the bowl then dump it quick. and turn on the Fantastic Fan before you flush.

danemayer

Here's a picture of a typical Studor Valve installation.

Attachments

• Studor Air Admittance Valve.jpg
    Studor Air Admittance Valve.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 52

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ya I have a 2015 Landmark 365 Ashland and I'm having some of the same issues. wondering if that's it. I flush the tank out thoroughly every time, and it still stinks after not using it for a few weeks with clean treated tank.. I have found with the Dometic 320 I will flush the valve part way to rinse the bowl then dump it quick. and turn on the Fantastic Fan before you flush.

If you have the fantastic fan ON before you flush, it is powerful enough to pull sewer smell up from the tank. I make sure to turn OFF the fan when actually flushing, then turn it back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Good point, but I was getting it with out the fan on and it was stinking up the coach, so that's when I started turning the fan on so it pushes it outside asap.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk