Plywood coating under the slides

Big_Iz

2011 BC, we picked up a few months ago. Barely used before us, but still working out some kinks.

The black coating has been coming off the bottom of the slides (coating on the plywood underneath the one LR slide). We get bits of wood on the carpet when opening -- concerned about how to prevent long term wear. Slides work OK. I need to do something to at least seal the wood from water damge.

Any suggestions?

danemayer

No tips on sealing. But if bits of wood are coming off, you should check the area they're coming off to see if you already have water damage.

sengli

That coating is to waterproof that plywood on the outside/ underside. Sometimes if it is rubbing on something, like slide rollers it can over time damage the coating and it will flake off. I had a spot where mine was damaged by a slide issue. I used epoxy to re-seal that area.

Big_Iz

I would recommend that you recoat the wood if required. Install stainless steel on the roller points. I did this with my slide in slide on my Landmark on the inner slide. This saved my slide bottom from being chewed up. Attached with silicone and stainless screws, drill or punch holes first.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...-Modifications?p=623838&viewfull=1#post623838

Brian

I was thinking a simple epoxy or polyurethane to cover any of the exposed areas. Doesn't appear to have water damage, just the coating is coming off.

I do have some large sheets of stainless -- was wondering if I could jack the slide up somehow (never thought about how or tried before) and slid in some pieces of stainless sheet for the slide to ride on.

Thanks for the suggestions

Dmetcalf

I would recommend that you recoat the wood if required. Install stainless steel on the roller points. I did this with my slide in slide on my Landmark on the inner slide. This saved my slide bottom from being chewed up. Attached with silicone and stainless screws, drill or punch holes first.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...-Modifications?p=623838&viewfull=1#post623838

Brian

Do you think a 6 in. roll of galvanized sheet metal could work ok ..?

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Do you think a 6 in. roll of galvanized sheet metal could work ok ..?

- - - Updated - - -
I used galvanized sheet metal along with caulk and stainless screws.
Been holding up for a while now.

Peace
Dave

CDN

B and B
I was thinking a simple epoxy or polyurethane to cover any of the exposed areas. Doesn't appear to have water damage, just the coating is coming off.

I do have some large sheets of stainless -- was wondering if I could jack the slide up somehow (never thought about how or tried before) and slid in some pieces of stainless sheet for the slide to ride on.

Thanks for the suggestions

The 18 Gauge in my case I just slide in. Depending on slide type you need to be careful how far is the fixed edge doesn't get in the way.

LBR

I just now got done relaminating the plywood veneer layers on the edges of our living room slide....2 jacks, some dunnage, wax paper, poultry injector, and waterproof glue.

Our bedroom slide was in worst shape and did the same repair of the edges....then plated the entire bottom with a 1/4" aluminum sheet.

I still need to finish waterproofing the edges of both with 1/8"aluminum 90° ell trim.
6be96ff8daf44f4d614402dad454e1e5.jpg
c4b81d206a061b05c51c525fc9d0b0df.jpg
fd7c8c755e4c6ea641746415972e57c7.jpg
fed8397290f2a14a71d6172e1003ecd3.jpg
96bae6cd6b313ce976c9b444cf964c78.jpg
43abc8804ca2fe6e974a93f548c78f43.jpg
900b219c1bc97fd58ecc2730d6eeaa21.jpg
ad523b4b931e55af80545b212e0cdc89.jpg
2a85094592e580c9245116806a655fe7.jpg

Big_Iz

Strong work, LBR. Mine isn't anywhere near that -- wood looks fine, just lost the coating. I like the idea of the sheet underneath. My question would be, does that fix the problem, or promote water collecting between the wood layer and the aluminum sheet?

I figured out where the chips were coming from... unrelated to the slides. Some rodent damage, along with some age/UV damage to the AC unit. I was getting a ton of styrofoam and some small wood chips all seem to be coming out of the vents when I drive. Haven't pulled the AC unit cover off yet.

CDN

B and B
We still get occasional construction debris on our 3 season old coach. As far as water ingress I applied lots sealant when installing, silicone in my case from discount store. Works great in this application.Let it squeeze out and wipe off with vinegar soaked cloth.

Dmetcalf

99939BAD-A87E-489B-AE72-83E5939AA14F.jpg

I just finished up doing my slides today. I have the slide in a slide and the project went well..! Glad I came across this thread..!

LBR

Strong work, LBR....

My question would be, does that fix the problem, or promote water collecting between the wood layer and the aluminum sheet?

Thank you! The only tricky part of the project was how to "MacGyver" the bedroom slide up off of rollers enough to slip in the 1/4" thick plate, adjust it, then let back of slide downward with a couple of floor jacks and 2 of us.

I intend to use 1/8" x 2" 90° ell angle aluminum for the edges when sealing up the 4 edges on 2 slides. With proper sealing methods, the only water infiltration between wood and aluminum will be condensation....maybe long term mold, but I can live with that...lol

lynndiwagoner

You might look to raise the slide on the side it's rubbing by using the adjustment screw on that side. I raised my slightly rubbing side and it fixed the problem. I did re-coat the rubbed area with epoxy.