Portable generator for emergencies, with Landmark 5th wheel

JBoyerinAbq

Have read tons of posts here - just want to verify what I believe to be true before I pull the trigger. We have a Landmark, no generator installed, but came prep'd. We had a Class A for four years with a 10k Onan that we ran when tooling up and down the road during the heat of summer. Never needed it for any of our camping stays - BUT, with three dogs that travel with us, it was always wonderful insurance - in case the park power went out.

Now with the Landmark, I'd really like to have a generator for that "just-in-case" moment. Something big enough to run one AC and the frig. The reality for us is that if the power were out for some extended reason, we'd just leave. So, in my mind, the geny is a real back-up device.

I have a phone app that sends me a text on the cell if the power goes out - so if we were out, we could get back fairly quickly and break the portable generator out.

I'm looking at a Champion, dual fuel 3500watt, because I think the ability to run off LP for that true emergency is an incredible benefit - no gas cans, no worries.

I know the rig is 50amp and the geny has a 30amp plug. What I'd like to verify, is that if we had to break the generator out, we'd connect to the Landmark power cord with a 50 to 30 dog bone. This would provide limited power to the trailer What I'm still confused about is does the dog bone provide power to both legs in the 5th wheel or do I have to hunt and search for what has power and what does not???

Sorry if that's a bone-head question. I've read so much I'm getting cross-linked.

Thanks for any information - safe travels all.

danemayer

What I'm still confused about is does the dog bone provide power to both legs in the 5th wheel or do I have to hunt and search for what has power and what does not???

Yes, the 50-->30 dog bone takes the single 120V generator leg and shares it across both legs of the shore power cord. So everything should work as long as you don't exceed the generator's capability.

The Landmark 365 has a Power Control System (PCS) that will detect a single phase and automatically set the controls to 30 amps. If you end up with a generator that supplies less than 30 amps, you'll need to manually set the PCS to the lower value. Once the PCS knows how much power is available, it will shed loads inside the coach to manage the power for you.

One thing to verify is the type of receptacles on the generator and how much amperage each supplies. You don't want to plug into a 30 amp 240V single phase receptacle. That would cause damage to your appliances.