Portable Generator Questions

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Questions for those who have portable generators. The small 2000-3000 watt versions.

-How often do you start them up and cycle them? For about how long run time?

-What fuel are you using? Ethanol free? Stabilized fuel?

-where do you carry them in your trailer? In the basement compartment? Exterior mount?

Thanks

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Right now the fuel tank in ours is empty

Premium fuel with an additive against ethanol

Rides in the basement. Gas in truck box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flick

Questions for those who have portable generators. The small 2000-3000 watt versions.

-where do you carry them in your trailer? In the basement compartment? Exterior mount?

Thanks

Generally speaking, most small combustion engines on generators, atv’s, etc., according to everything that I have read, are being built using the same materials that were used in prior years. With this in mind, these components, such as rubber hoses etc., will deteriorate over time when subjected to ethanol. This harms the components when there are long periods of time when fuel with ethanol is let to sit in the engine. As stated previously, this can be countered with fuel additives, but the wise thing to use is ethanol free fuel when subjected to extended storage. Most ethanol free fuel has a somewhat higher octane rating if that is what you are looking for. Also, when sitting in storage, even if using ethanol free, an additive like Stabile should still be used to keep the fuel fresh.
However, using fuel with ethanol shouldn’t harm your engines if you are not letting them sit in storage and are running them every day. But once again, it could, over time, hurt components.

travelin2

Ethanol free gas would great but it’s not widely available

RoadJunkie

I find it is critical to empty the carburetor bowl after running the engine. Honda uses the On/Off switch to turn off the fuel, but it also shuts down the ignition at the same time. So you don't run the engine until the bowl is empty. Enter THIS gizmo. It allows you to shut off the fuel, but allows the engine to run until the fuel is used in the bowl. It also has an emergency shut off button that disconnects the ignition at any time. For long term storage you may still want to take off the side panel and open the bowl drain to ensure all fuel is drained. Honda even recommends pulling on the starter cord a couple of times (while ignition switch is OFF) to assure all fuel is drained.

I use ethanol-free fuel, with Sea-Foam fuel stabilizer, and just load up the generators in the front storage compartment. I have seldom used the generators.

Flick

Ethanol free gas would great but it’s not widely available

I agree wholeheartedly on finding stations that have ethanol free fuel. For those who aren’t aware, there is a website that helps you find this fuel and it is state specific. The website is “pure-gas.org”. Just find the list of stations for your particular state. The website is user driven and anyone can add comments on pricing or whatever.

travelin2

I agree wholeheartedly on finding stations that have ethanol free fuel. For those who aren’t aware, there is a website that helps you find this fuel and it is state specific. The website is “pure-gas.org”. Just find the list of stations for your particular state. The website is user driven and anyone can add comments on pricing or whatever.

Yep. And I’ll repeat not widely available.

TXgearhead

If you are in a EPA non attainment zone you can't buy non ethanol gasoline. The city of Houston is in Harris County Texas. That county and most of those that touch it, except Waller County, are in a non attainment zone.
There has been talk of isobutanol being added to gasoline in place of ethanol. Isobutanol does not attach to water like ethanol. That is supposed to be legal. I haven't heard much lately though.
I just had to buy a new carb for my pressure washer because I forgot about it and it sat with gas in it. I've got "canned" gas in now; $5 a quart.
I have 2 Honda 2000 gens. I run them dry and drain the carb before storage. In the future I'll put a little canned gas in them and run dry and drain. I usually store them in the 5th storage bay.

esscobra

so when going places where ill be using my onboard onan- ill take my eu3000handi in the main storage bay - and usually run it first thing when get there while setting up or run id during day when we are not using a lot of power - usually at racetracks and not in much during rounds ) so ill leave it running to cycle a tank thru it - and well usually run it till it runs out fuel- then when get home put non ethanol in with stabill and run for a bit- then its in grargae and usually fire up once a month to make sure some fresher fuel flows thru bowl

Flick

If you are in a EPA non attainment zone you can't buy non ethanol gasoline. The city of Houston is in Harris County Texas. That county and most of those that touch it, except Waller County, are in a non attainment zone.
There has been talk of isobutanol being added to gasoline in place of ethanol. Isobutanol does not attach to water like ethanol. That is supposed to be legal. I haven't heard much lately though.
I just had to buy a new carb for my pressure washer because I forgot about it and it sat with gas in it. I've got "canned" gas in now; $5 a quart.
I have 2 Honda 2000 gens. I run them dry and drain the carb before storage. In the future I'll put a little canned gas in them and run dry and drain. I usually store them in the 5th storage bay.

Your statement is not completely accurate. I don’t know about the non attainment zones because I don’t pay attention to what goes on in Houston. I live about an hour’s drive from there and that’s as close as I care to get. However, there is a place in Houston where you can buy it and most, I repeat most, counties surrounding Houston have at least one place you can get it. Now if the web site’s info is not correct, I apologize. Also, I forgot to mention that the place in Houston is not a station but a storefront and probably is $10 gallon. And that’s probably because of the zone thing. Lol

Gary521

I have installed the Hutch Mountain devices on my Hondas and they work great. Personally, I don't think it matters is its ethanol free or not whether the carb gums up or not.

Last edited:

avvidclif

They just remodeled one of the local Murphy gas stations (Gun Barrel City, TX)and when they did they added an ethanol free pump. They are doing another one close by(Canton, TX) and it will be interesting to see if they add ethanol free there also.

donr827

I run my every 3 months. I run the generator until it runs out of gas. I use Stabil in the in the gas can.

RickL

It’s one of the reasons I purchased a dual fuel generator. I have never run my Champion on gas, only propane. I still cut off the fuel supply and run it “dry” when I’m done.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I have always had great luck with standard 87 octane and a heavy dose of Stabile additive. In mower, snowblower etc. But generally those pieces of equipment will get cycled a lot during the season. So fresh gas is always moved through the system. But with the generator, I tend to keep full and I have only been cycling 2-3 hours at a time. So only a small portion of fresh gas gets entered/blended into the system.

Thanks for the website.
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp
I found 2 stations near by (that aren’t higher priced marinas) that I can get the ethanol free. I will start using that with Stabile.

TXgearhead

Your statement is not completely accurate. I don’t know about the non attainment zones because I don’t pay attention to what goes on in Houston. I live about an hour’s drive from there and that’s as close as I care to get. However, there is a place in Houston where you can buy it and most, I repeat most, counties surrounding Houston have at least one place you can get it. Now if the web site’s info is not correct, I apologize. Also, I forgot to mention that the place in Houston is not a station but a storefront and probably is $10 gallon. And that’s probably because of the zone thing. Lol
I have never seen a conventional gas station in Harris County with an ethanol free pump. There may be, but I haven't seen it. There are several places to buy non ethanol gas though. Most of those I am aware of are selling to racers, whether cars, boats, go karts or motorcycles.
I keep a printed copy of that website in my truck so I can find non ethanol gas when out of my area, mostly Louisiana when I am fishing. My boat holds 48 gallons and some of that has been in it a loooong time. I switched from Stabil to Startron and now to Chevron Marine stabilizer. So far, so good.
The BUC-EES convenience stores that are not in the zone usually have non ethanol. I've heard the one in Katy does, I believe it is in Waller County. Maybe down in Angleton as well. I'm going to take a stab at guessing what counties you can't buy in...Harris, Liberty, Chambers, Montgomery, and probably Galveston, Fort Bend, and maybe Brazoria.
I have taken several 5 gallon cans to Lake Charles LA when I was going there for other business, and brought back gas.

avvidclif

It’s one of the reasons I purchased a dual fuel generator. I have never run my Champion on gas, only propane. I still cut off the fuel supply and run it “dry” when I’m done.

X2 and I have a 40 and several 20 lb tanks plus the rv if needed.

Thanks

Hi JwalkerDA2ECD9E-FB05-45F6-A6AD-56EE4B416F65.jpg691800B4-468A-4EFD-B465-BB5202D811C9.jpgC41CA286-5450-4469-AD54-8E6C31E88FDC.jpgDA2ECD9E-FB05-45F6-A6AD-56EE4B416F65.jpg691800B4-468A-4EFD-B465-BB5202D811C9.jpgC41CA286-5450-4469-AD54-8E6C31E88FDC.jpgDA2ECD9E-FB05-45F6-A6AD-56EE4B416F65.jpg691800B4-468A-4EFD-B465-BB5202D811C9.jpgC41CA286-5450-4469-AD54-8E6C31E88FDC.jpgC41CA286-5450-4469-AD54-8E6C31E88FDC.jpg

I have 2 Yamaha ES2000Is inverter generators mounted on a bracket mounted by hitch receiver. The gens are in aluminum diamond plate boxes built by Rv generator box.com. that allow them to be run while in the boxes. The boxes have marine style hatches that are removed while it is running to allow exhaust to escape and cool intake air to flow thru. They also have a hatch on top of the box to access for refueling. There is a locking front door on these boxes to secure the generators. I’ve run a parallel cable between these boxes to use the combined wattage of the gens.
As far as how often to run them, I run them once a month for 30 minutes when we are home, and turn off the fuel and run the out of gas when I’m finished. When using both they put out 30 amps and 3600 watts. They run the air and lights and charge batteries etc, but you have to be aware you only have 30 amps to work with.

CDN

B and B
I have a Powerhouse 4 Kw fuel injected. Run premium fuel( contains no ethanaol in Canada) and stabil. I run it about Once a month in season maybe once every 2 months out of season. It does run under full load in season when working in the toga slot. Stored under cover in the back of my truck.