Positive ground?? On a Torque T26

caokgafamily

Good evening, stupid question. I took my torque T26 to the storage yard and got in a hurry and pulled the battery before I had the trailer off the truck. So I reinstalled battery, white wire to positive and black to ground. It sparked a little and made a ticking sound, but Jack screw would not run to lift off the truck. White wire runs to a electrical box with a fuse, so I assume this would be positive and the black is connected to the frame. Jack screw would only run when white wire on negative battery post and black on hot side. Am I crazy? Doesn't make sense positive ground on frame....thanks, Steve

Attachments

• 20190416_162114.jpg
    20190416_162114.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 42

danemayer

I'll hazard a guess if you took an Volt-Ohm Meter and checked the continuity of the white wire (when disconnected from the battery) to the frame, you'll find the white is the ground wire.

And when you hook the battery up in the wrong polarity (since you tried both ways, one attempt was wrong), you've blown the on-board fuses located on the Power Converter. When you put the battery back in for your next trip, you'll need to locate the converter and replace the fuses or your battery will not get charged.

You may also have tripped the manual-reset 12V DC mini-circuit breaker on the buss bar near the battery. The breakers are covered by a red rubber boot. One has a teeny tiny reset button.

caokgafamily

Danemayer thanks. I'm still confused why black wire is connected right there, ground on frame a foot away and Jack screw only runs when connected to positive on battery. Makes no sense

danemayer

Did the jack screw work before all this happened?

From the picture, it looks like the wires are in the right place, based on length as pictured.

caokgafamily

Jack screw works great, all the time. My point is the black wire runs 16" from positive post directly to the frame grounded. White wire connected to negative battery side. This is the only way Jack screw works. When I pulled battery or any battery not concerned about reconnect because its always straight fwd unless a 48volt golf cart, lol. This is 4th camper I've owned and 2nd heartland product. I have never seen a 12v positive side battery ground for operation of components... thanks

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

What's this wire ??
3cc3a299047485d5a0761cc91dd6d5e9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

danemayer

What's the wire in the upper right?
The wire from the positive battery terminal should go to the buss bar where the 12V mini circuit breakers are located.

Battery notated.jpg

caokgafamily

Thanks guys for the input. I have not messed with battery since purchase. It has gen prep but I have no gen. I'm assuming big wire's are for that? Maybe the dealer installed battery? Everything has worked great the last year. The small lower red wire I will need to look at for roughting.

caokgafamily

I think I'm going crazy. I'm going to storage yard, re install battery and take new pics of everything in detail. Yes it works but doesn't make sense.

danemayer

I think I'm going crazy. I'm going to storage yard, re install battery and take new pics of everything in detail. Yes it works but doesn't make sense.
Maybe someone can go with you to provide a 2nd set of eyes. Sometimes when there are mysteries, it can take a 2nd set.

caokgafamily

Well I must be a dumb----.lol. I took a buddy over at lunch. Black is the positive wire. It does go to frame but not ground. It connects to a 2 terminal breaker that's connected to the frame. White definitely ground. Hopefully the 40seconds it was wired wrong no DC items are fried. Thanks for all the input. Steve

danemayer

Hopefully the 40seconds it was wired wrong no DC items are fried. Thanks for all the input. Steve

Check the on-board fuses located ON the Power Converter. They are designed to blow if the battery is even momentarily connected with reverse polarity.

CDN

B and B
Some trailers follow NEC electrical color code for 12 volt connections.

Black Hot ins 120 VAC and also used for Positive 12 VDC
White is Neutral and also used for Negative or ground in 12 VDC

It is confusing at the best of times.

I had two trailers with Black being Positive on the battery, one made in 1982 and one in 2008.