Possible GFI issue?

Bryce5280

2011 Heartland Caliber 315 RKBS

30 AMP Shore Power
120v at all breakers
No power to any outlet or AC.
I checked for 120v at the GFI outlet by the bathroom sink nothing
I did go ahead and replace the GFIC outlet at the bathroom sink

I have not been able to locate a 2nd GFIC outlet inside or out, some of the outlets do have stickers stating "GFI Protected Outlet"
This has me stumped and I really am not looking forward to taking the underbelly enclosure down to investigate.

Does anyone know of a 2nd GFIC outlet and its location or have the electric diagram of the 315 RKBS?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your GFI protects "wet locations" to include kitchen area, bathroom, outside and basement. It does not protect your AC or other receptacles.
Those that are protected are daisy chained from the GFI usually located in the bathroom.
Have you checked the pedestal, shore cord connections and your main breaker?
Don't do a visual on the breakers. Turn them off then on again.

Peace
Dave

Bryce5280

I am getting 120v at the pedestal and on the breakers within the distribution panel. The power coming in is fine as far as I can tell but I have turned the 30 AMP breaker off and on again a few times.
It just seems like the power leaves the breakers and goes down into the floor and never makes it to the outlets or other 120v items like the AC or microwave.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your AC, microwave and other receptacles should each have their own breaker.
Do you have 120 volts coming out of the main?

Peace
Dave

Roller4tan

Strange you have voltage in and out of your breakers and not one outlet works. Not all outlets are GCFI protected. You'll probably have to get in behind your breaker box and check your wiring. Being an older trailer, vermin may have chewed through some wiring.

Bogie

You may actually have a (mostly) an open circuit. If one of the connections (including the Shore Power pedestal plug) have a bad connection you could get the symptoms you describe. i.e. Reading voltage, but no amperage.

Start at the Shore Power pedestal connection and verify it is working. You may nave to plug something else (more than a voltmeter) into it to verify. Then work your way towards the breaker box in the RV. Look for loose or burned connections. A loose connection that has burned can cause the symptoms you describe and be a fire hazard a well.

Bryce5280

I conducted a thorough examination of the pedestal and found that Roller4tan and Bogie's assessment was accurate. The high winds during the winter season, with gusts ranging from 50 to 100 miles per hour, had caused the cover plate that holds the outlet to become loose. This, in turn, caused the cord and outlet to rattle, which resulted in the Neutral wire becoming dislodged. I took action to rectify the situation by reinserting the wire into its proper inlet and making sure that the cover plate was firmly attached, leaving no room for any wobbling or movement. This "should" prevent this issue from happening again in the future.

Big thanks to Roller4tan and Bogie 🍻

Last edited: