Power Cord Reel Motor Died

ksucats

2015 Landmark Keywest with electric cord reel. The motor has died - will not retract the 50 amp cord at all. Trying to find out the phone number to speak to Landmark customer service on how to get a new one. Will be done by local dealer but trying to get a part number / source before it end up there for weeks while they research it. I know I've seen the phone number in the forum before, did a search but results did not provide any threads where I saw the phone number. Thanks in advance.

TrailCreek

Get the model number and you can get replacement parts from the manufacturer. Mine had stripped plastic gears and they sold metal replacements. Works fine. I would think you could buy parts much easier than replacing the whole unit.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Contact tech support at Shoreline. Searching the forum the model number might be CL50D

david-steph2018

ksucats, I think this is the tech support number to Southwire:
727-812-0578

But I think Southwire was bought out by another company, but they helped me out. When our rig was only 15 months old, the gears in the cord reel broke. Southwire sent me replacement gears made from steel.

carl.swoyer

Pull the cord out all the way to expose the reel housing. Open the small access panel and check the contact's inside.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

ksucats

Appreciate all the help. Called Heartland, spoke with Kristi Edgier (I think that is the correct spelling for her last name) - regardless, the one i have in my coach is no longer made. She sent me a picture and model number for the current one. Am surprised by the PRICE - more than I expected but most things are these days.

Did check the switch, it seems to be working fine. Just no action from the motor. Manually wrapped the cord back onto the reel (that was not fun) so not in a rush to pull it out again.

Best wishes to all for a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving.

Ron

wdk450

If you can get to where you can inspect the motor, you MAY find markings on it from the original MOTOR manufacturer, and from those numbers find a source for the motor on the internet. (i.e. Klauber). You may also find a Mfr/model/serial tag from the original reel manufacturer, and get some more parts clues from that.

On edit: There are small automotive starter/alternator/generator rebuild shops, and electrical motor shops around the country that might be able to repair your 12 volt DC motor, especially if it is something simple like worn out brushes. Some local internet searching might get you a much cheaper answer than a complete unit replacement. If you are successful in this route, please share the vendor and results with your Heartland Forum friends. You could install a male and female 50 amp inline connector pair on your while your cord while your reel is being repaired.

Good luck.

Last edited:

ksucats

Bill: Thanks for the assistance. I'm using a 50Amp extension cord right now to power the coach off my 50amp home plug, that way I don't have to unwind the cord on the reel.

All: My problem is I'm no longer that much of a mechanic - just looking at the reel I don't see how it comes out. The side aluminum of the coach wraps all the way around to the chassis and I don't see any place to remove it from. I don't believe it was installed before the side walls were put on but I don't see any holes/panels which would allow me access and the door to the reel appears to be too small to take the whole unit out.

Last edited:

TrailCreek

My problem is I'm no longer that much of a mechanic - just looking at the reel I don't see how it comes out. The side aluminum of the coach wraps all the way around to the chassis and I don't see any place to remove it from. I don't believe it was installed before the side walls were put on but I don't see any holes/panels which would allow me access and the door to the reel appears to be too small to take the whole unit out.
You have to remove the J wrap trim. It's pretty easy, and then you have full access to the reel.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk