Power outage and issues when power is turned back on

We are at a State Park and are plugged in to 50 amp service. Several times over the last couple of days the power in the RV has suddenly gone off without tripping the circuits breakers at the pedestal. When I trip/flip the circuit breakers at the pedestal the power comes back on. However, now the fan to one of my air conditioners will not stop running after the compressor turns off. I have the fan setting on AUTO but to get it to turn off I just have to turn the entire unit off.
My second AC works fine and the power loss has not occurred when just running the second AC. I've switched around the thermostats but the fan constantly running still occurs. I'm not sure what is going on. Could it be a bad fan capacitor or bad board on the AC with the constantly running fan?

Dahillbilly

If you have swapped the thermostats and the problem stayed the same; I would guess bad relay or control board. Something is telling it to run!! Others will reply

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I gotta ask, are you using some sort of whole RV electrical protection such as a Progressive Industries EMS?
You may have had a spike or brown out. Either way without it that might have caused damage to your AC.
Just another thought.

Peace
Dave

I gotta ask, are you using some sort of whole RV electrical protection such as a Progressive Industries EMS?
You may have had a spike or brown out. Either way without it that might have caused damage to your AC.
Just another thought.

Peace
Dave
I’m still having the issue. For some reason power goes off . Not using AC’s or anything drawing a lot of amps. I go out to the pedestal and the breakers have not tripped. Turn them off and then back on and the power comes back on—at least for awhile.. No specific pattern.

danemayer

I’m still having the issue. For some reason power goes off . Not using AC’s or anything drawing a lot of amps. I go out to the pedestal and the breakers have not tripped. Turn them off and then back on and the power comes back on—at least for awhile.. No specific pattern.
Has anyone come out to check the pedestal - tighten connections and perhaps replace the breaker?

Flick

We are at a State Park and are plugged in to 50 amp service. Several times over the last couple of days the power in the RV has suddenly gone off without tripping the circuits breakers at the pedestal. When I trip/flip the circuit breakers at the pedestal the power comes back on. However, now the fan to one of my air conditioners will not stop running after the compressor turns off. I have the fan setting on AUTO but to get it to turn off I just have to turn the entire unit off.
My second AC works fine and the power loss has not occurred when just running the second AC. I've switched around the thermostats but the fan constantly running still occurs. I'm not sure what is going on. Could it be a bad fan capacitor or bad board on the AC with the constantly running fan?

Problems like this are usually fixed thru elimination. If it was my problem, I would switch the incoming 50amp legs in your rv breaker panel. If the wires aren’t long enough, I would install a jumper wire to set up a temporary hookup. Then I would see what the electrical reaction is.

danemayer

It has happened at three separate parks.
I'm contacting a mobile RV repair service

A little more info would be helpful.

• Do you have a power cord reel, or a twist lock shore power cord?
  • Do you have an EMS/Surge Protector?
  • Do you have generator/generator prep (which includes an automatic transfer switch)?
  • What year/model trailer do you have?

wdk450

There have been a lot of problems reported with the power cord reel internal drum electrical contacts.