Powered Awning - Upper Arm Broke

TX_Clay

Just got home from a great weekend with the RV. When I rolled the awnings out for the weekend. I noticed a lot of bug squishes on the underside of the awning. We had no wind, what so ever the whole weekend. So, when I got home, I rolled them out and gave them a squirt of water and started cleaning them with a soft brush on an extension. Suddenly, the top arm of the large awning snapped and dropped down.
We have always been very careful with the awnings. Always rolling them up when we were away and rolling them in as soon as we saw the wind beginning to move them. For this to happen concern me very much.
The RV is only 1& 1/2 years old. I wonder if Heartland would assist me with this? If not, can you replace the upper arm? Or do you have to remove it from the motor and unbolt it from the outside wall of the RV as an assembly?
I have attached pictures showing the awning. The last picture shows the now good end of the awning. It broke at the second cut out of the upper arm.
I am open to any and all suggestions.

Attachments

• 20160530_164113.jpg
    20160530_164113.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 20160530_164138.jpg
    20160530_164138.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 20160530_164156.jpg
    20160530_164156.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 20160530_164224.jpg
    20160530_164224.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 20160530_164238.jpg
    20160530_164238.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 20160530_164612.jpg
    20160530_164612.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

danemayer

The RV is only 1& 1/2 years old. I wonder if Heartland would assist me with this?
While you're outside the warranty period, it doesn't cost much to ask. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

Sometimes the best way to approach your request is to start by describing what happened and ask the Customer Service Rep if he has any ideas what might cause the failure. Emailing your pictures will probably help.

From there you can move into a discussion of whether it can be repaired and whether repair parts would come from the awning manufacturer.

The last part of the discussion would be whether Heartland is willing to help with the cost of repair.

rhodies1

Just got home from a great weekend with the RV. When I rolled the awnings out for the weekend. I noticed a lot of bug squishes on the underside of the awning. We had no wind, what so ever the whole weekend. So, when I got home, I rolled them out and gave them a squirt of water and started cleaning them with a soft brush on an extension. Suddenly, the top arm of the large awning snapped and dropped down.
We have always been very careful with the awnings. Always rolling them up when we were away and rolling them in as soon as we saw the wind beginning to move them. For this to happen concern me very much.
The RV is only 1& 1/2 years old. I wonder if Heartland would assist me with this? If not, can you replace the upper arm? Or do you have to remove it from the motor and unbolt it from the outside wall of the RV as an assembly?
I have attached pictures showing the awning. The last picture shows the now good end of the awning. It broke at the second cut out of the upper arm.
I am open to any and all suggestions.

I would contact Heartland or Dometic I thought there was a 2 Year Warranty on the awning from Dometic.
You could look in the manual to verify warranty period but it doesn't hurt to ask. Always try and keep your cool and don't bash the product to the company,that usually turns them off.
Good luck

TX_Clay

That was my plan all along. Just call and be calm and cool and see what their response is. If it is 2 year warranty. Hopefully we can resolve it under that. If not, gotta get it fixed one way or another. Can't pull it like it is right now. LOL, unless I want to make a insurance claim after it rips off going down the highway. Rather not. Will keep everyone posted.

TX_Clay

Well, no help from Heartland, 1 year warranty. He wasn't able to help identify the awning manufacture/model either. Wasn't listed on the build list he had. So, now I will have to go to the awning and try and unroll it without further damage and look at the tag next to the spindle to get manufacture, model and length. The joys of owning a Recreational Vehicle. LOL

AAdams

Well, no help from Heartland, 1 year warranty. He wasn't able to help identify the awning manufacture/model either. Wasn't listed on the build list he had. So, now I will have to go to the awning and try and unroll it without further damage and look at the tag next to the spindle to get manufacture, model and length. The joys of owning a Recreational Vehicle. LOL

By looking at your pictures I believe you have a Care Free Eclipse awning. You can get side arms from Care Free. Look Here on page 39 to page 41 show where to find model number and parts.

Hope this helps
Alan

TX_Clay

By looking at your pictures I believe you have a Care Free Eclipse awning. You can get side arms from Care Free. Look Here on page 39 to page 41 show where to find model number and parts.

Hope this helps
Alan

Thank you Alan, One of the reasons I love this forum. Hopefully, I won't have to sell my first born to get the parts. Thanks again.

TX_Clay

Reached out to Carefree today. Gave them what numbers I could still read on the label in the arm. Turns out that my Awning is a Traveler Adjustable pitch awning. The sales person told me that he would be happy to sale me the left assembly but I could get better pricing going onto Amazon. Having Amazon prime will save ne the shipping cost as well. Now that is certainly good customer service.

TX_Clay

Received the assembly Friday. Yesterday I decided to see if I could do it myself. The idler head portion came with the assembly, fortunately for me. It is held in place by a single bold. Removed the bolt and set the head aside. Then I did the sane thing on the damaged arm. I took 2 - 2x4x8 and screwed them together to give me about 12 ft in height. Then I notched out one end to of the wood to create a cradle for the awning to rest in. Rolled the awning out about 2 feet holding the removed idler head up to support it. Place the wood under the canopy to hold it in place. I shot 2 screws into the 2x4 about 3 inches below the canopy and took some twine and secured the canopy rod to the 2x4. Just in case the wind lifted to canopy. It would keep the canopy rod and wood together. Remove 5 screws from holding the assembly to the trailer and work the assembly to release from the side. Sounded like it was peeling everything off the side. Cleaned the silicone sealant off the 5 locations, wipe with alcohol, apply new sealant and set the arm attaching the top screw that is visible while folded up. One hanging, allowed the arms to open, opened to the head and rested on the inside allowing me access to the remaining screw holes. Heartland remained true to stripping bolts. 2 of the three had been over torqued. Slid kitchen matches in the hole, minus the flint end, along with sealant. Shot the screws in and they tightened up nicely. Then all I had to do was set the old idler head on the new arm.
It took around 3 hours for me to get it all done. Now that I have done it. I think I could shave an hour off easily. Not that I want too.
Everything works great now and today am building the supports that Mike (mlburst1) showed in another thread. Headed to Home Depot. Sorry, it was just me, so I didn't get the opportunity to take pictures.

OH! One other thing. Received a email from Carefree and it had attached 2 pics showing how to tell what model your awning was. SO I thought I would share that with everyone.

Attachments

• Eclipse vs  Travel'r arms 003.jpg
    Eclipse vs Travel'r arms 003.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 16
  • travel'r vs eclipse motor.jpg
    travel'r vs eclipse motor.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: