Progressive PD9280 Converter (AC to DC) Thermal Protection

pegmikef

Has anyone out there ever experienced reduced of no output voltage from their PD92 series converter because of shutdown by its built in thermal protection?

If so, does anyone know the temperature threshold that activates the cut off? I looked on their website and have tried contacting service without much success.

I installed a replacement converter a couple of days ago and it has been working fine, but when we returned last night, my battery voltage at the panel and on the batteries was down to 12.8 indicating no converter output. I turned all the DC stuff I could using only 110 lights and the voltage stabilized at 12.8. I figured I would trouble shoot it in the morning. IMO, if it worked ok for almost two days, it isn't an installation issue. I checked it about an hour later and the voltage was 14.2 at the panel and battery which indicates that there was again converter output. An hour later it had stabilized at 13.2 volts and was the same this morning regardless of the DC lights we had on.

I would like to lay this off on the thermal protection circuit, but need to know the temperature thresholds. We are in Arizona and of course it is hot and it may be a cumulative thing.

I will appreciate any information anyone can give me. Thanks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The manual does say it will shutdown if it gets too hot, but as you've found out, the actual temperature is not defined. The internal fan is supposed to modulate its speed based on how hot it's getting, but if it's blocked or obstructed, that could be a problem.

Is the area you mounted it enclosed, like in a cabinet or small space? If so, consider moving it to a more open area of the basement (behind the walls) where it has more air. The fan should not be facing close to a wall.

pegmikef

Thanks John.

Progressive did return my call and I had quite a discussion with the service tech. I walked him through the scenario and he said it could have caused it and that the threshold is 115 to 120 degrees. Another cause he iterated was an intermittent open circuit. I kind of ruled that out as we were gone when it happened and about the only DC items in use were the parasitic ones and the hot water heater (I have it on gas).

The air temperature here in Mesa, AZ was around 110 yesterday, but the converter is in the basement in a pretty open space. He mentioned that the pad will sometimes help provide cooling as it is shaded, but our site is on light colored sand/fine gravel mix that actually reflects the heat on the sun side.

Anyway, it has worked perfectly since the incident yesterday, but it is another hot one today so we will see. He said one test to run is to leave both cables connected to the converter and measure the output voltage, then do the same thing at the battery and compare them. if there is a difference then there is a problem with the cabling. He said the voltage should be stabilized at 13.2 at the battery for normal operation.

JohnDar

Would staking a dark, matte colored tarp under the rig help cut down the reflected heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

Would staking a dark, matte colored tarp under the rig help cut down the reflected heat?

It might have John, but the problem solved itself. We left Arizona two days ago. When we landed in Deming, NM where it was only 100 degrees, the converter was working right putting out a constant 13.2 volts instead of dropping to 12.9. It has worked correctly since (we are now in Ft Stockton, also 100 degrees).

It looks to me like once the outside temp exceeds 110 degrees, the thermal protection kicks in. I had never seen the problem, but that was the first time we have been in an area for a week plus where the temp ranged from 110 to 115 for the whole time only cooling done to low nineties at night. Apparently, the converter was working the whole time, but at a lower voltage as my batteries never dropped below 12.7. We were prudent with the lights and it worked all the slides and level up system ok upon out departure.

Thanks for your interest.

JohnDar

Good deal! I spent a week in Deming several years ago while attending DHS class in Playas.

pegmikef

Good deal! I spent a week in Deming several years ago while attending DHS class in Playas.

We stayed at the Dreamcatcher RV Park. Easy in off of I-10, nicely maintained, and friendly staff. It will now be our regular stop when visiting our daughter in Arizona. Seemed like a nice little town.

JohnDar

It was probably 2004 or so when I was there. We were put up at the Holiday Inn because there was no billeting at the Playas training site 70 miles away. They paid for everything, including my rental car from El Paso airport. It was a class on responding to terrorist bombing incidents.

pegmikef

Sounds like they took care of you pretty well John.

Here's an update on the progressive converter thing. It turns out, that it was not the thermal protection that was causing the 12.9 volts, the converter is faulty. The second day after we got home, it was back to the 12.8 to 12.9 volt output. While we were on the road, the truck was charging the batteries way up, but after the rig was parked for a day or two, the batteries dropped down to the converter output. I called the same tech I spoke to earlier (he had given me his extension) and he had me do several different voltage tests and concluded, that while working the output was too low. Called Heartland and a new converter is being sent to me. I gave Heartland Service the name and number of the Progressive tech so they could verify that it was faulty. I figure I am probably saving Heartland a few bucks, because a dealer would be charging them for all the labor. It looks like this was a cradle death, but it is still working, just at the low voltage.

JohnDar

Sounds like they took care of you pretty well John.

Here's an update on the progressive converter thing. It turns out, that it was not the thermal protection that was causing the 12.9 volts, the converter is faulty. The second day after we got home, it was back to the 12.8 to 12.9 volt output. While we were on the road, the truck was charging the batteries way up, but after the rig was parked for a day or two, the batteries dropped down to the converter output. I called the same tech I spoke to earlier (he had given me his extension) and he had me do several different voltage tests and concluded, that while working the output was too low. Called Heartland and a new converter is being sent to me. I gave Heartland Service the name and number of the Progressive tech so they could verify that it was faulty. I figure I am probably saving Heartland a few bucks, because a dealer would be charging them for all the labor. It looks like this was a cradle death, but it is still working, just at the low voltage.

Excellent! Sometimes gizmo's just don't work right out of the box (kinda like the Hubble :(). As for the class, yes they did at that one and the other DHS classes I attended...back in the day.