Pull test

DickO

We have a new 3160 Bighorn. Has anyone come up with an easy way to do a pull test with the Lippert jacks?

danemayer

Hi DickO,

1. Hitch up
  2. Visual check of the hitch locking mechanism*
  3. Retract all jacks
  4. Extend front landing gear so both just barely contact the ground
  5. Retract front landing gear an inch or two so they clear the ground as the trailer moves, but can catch the trailer before damage occurs if the hitch test fails. Note that with the OEM braking system, the trailer may move a few feet before the brakes lock up.
  6. After testing, retract front landing gear.

* Hensley BD3 and TS3 hitches have a locking block that has to drop into place to ensure the jaws are locked. It's important to do a visual check on the locking block because movement of the jaws and movement of the handle do not guarantee the locking block has moved.

mlpeloquin

I back up with the X-chocks on and lock the kin pin. Put it into drive and give a tug. Then retract the front landing gear and remove the X-chocks. That way the front landing gear does not take all the forward pressure of the tug. My Huskey hitch completely surrounds the king pin and the proper locking is denoted by the locking ring lining up.

B

Boatman

Always do a pull test, cause the time you don't----ouch

travlingman

I always manually retract the rear jacks first leaving just the front 2 down. After hitching, I start bringing the front jacks up. The drivers side always retracts first on mine. After it goes all the way up, the passenger side will start. After it goes up 1-2 inches I stop retracting and then start lowering the gear. The drivers side always goes down first. After it reaches 1-2 inches from ground I then do my test.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I always manually retract the rear jacks first leaving just the front 2 down. After hitching, I start bringing the front jacks up. The drivers side always retracts first on mine. After it goes all the way up, the passenger side will start. After it goes up 1-2 inches I stop retracting and then start lowering the gear. The drivers side always goes down first. After it reaches 1-2 inches from ground I then do my test.

This is what we do, also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDN

B and B
X Chocks or rubber chocks in the storage lot and front gear just off the ground an inch.

NHCelt

Now that's a great idea. I've been irritated about the way the jacks retract for a while. Thanks!

SNOKING

If you know what you are doing the B&W latches correctly if the handle swings back. Pin it and take a look. Ready to go. With my old setup with a Hijacker Ultra 16K sliding bar I did not do a pull test either.

Chris

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
And why is that?

I hit the tailgate on my GMC because I didn't do a pull test, but my landing gear was down (1/2" off the ground).

No jaws, big single hook, spring loaded, slams shut when pin makes contact, lever latches, audible and visual inspection confirms locking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

Sometime back, I had read an old thread that someone knows someone who knows someone who high-hitched their fiver once....don't remember if it was because of darkness, stormy weather, or just a brain-fert....but it is an incident to prove a pull test could have maybe helped him out, no matter what kind of no-pull hitch he owned.

I own a Curt Q24 and a good visual after hookup confirms we are latched, but I still will do a tug-test of some sort just because...

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
We had a previous AZ Chapter member, backed up in the evening to his Gateway...hooked up and then called it a night....Next morning he got in his truck to take the RV to the dealer for some work....made it to the curb before his Gateway took out his new Ford box. While he knew he had hooked up....the lock never made it in place! Very expensive lesson...