Pump shutting off after 5 seconds

I am learning about our "new" 2010 Heartland Edge that we've had for one month. When I flip the "pump" switch it turns on 5 seconds and then shuts off. Any reason to why it would shut off so quickly before it fills up? The tank is 2/3 full. The faucets work fine when I hook it up to city water.

Thank you for your help.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When you turn on the pump it will run till it builds pressure then it will shut off till you open a faucet.
When opening the faucet you will relieve pressure and the pump will run once again.
Close the faucet the pump builds pressure in the system then once again shuts off.
Peace
Dave

MTPockets

I am learning about our "new" 2010 Heartland Edge that we've had for one month. When I flip the "pump" switch it turns on 5 seconds and then shuts off. Any reason to why it would shut off so quickly before it fills up? The tank is 2/3 full. The faucets work fine when I hook it up to city water.

Thank you for your help.
The pump only moves water from the tank to your faucets. When the tank gets low, you need to fill it from the city water hookup. I’m not familiar with your Edge, but some trailers have the Anderson valve that must be switched to the fill position, while other types have the fill port where you insert or connect the water hose.

When you turn on the pump it will run till it builds pressure then it will shut off till you open a faucet.
When opening the faucet you will relieve pressure and the pump will run once again.
Close the faucet the pump builds pressure in the system then once again shuts off.
Peace
Dave

Thank you for the quick reply. So do I always leave the pump switch in the "ON" position?

danemayer

If you leave the pump ON all the time, there are a few things to be aware of. If the pump starts running while you're not using a faucet or other water fixture, you could have a leak. It's very important to not leave the pump ON if that's happening. You need to find the leak. Also, if you have pets, don't leave the pump ON while they're unattended. If a pet jumps up on the counter and opens a faucet, you can have a flood inside. And when you're away for more than a short time, you should turn the pump off to avoid surprises.

centerline

the pump is equipped with a pressure switch, so that if the pump circuit is on, and you have water in the tank, you will have water on demand when you open a faucet.... and when you shut the faucet off, the pump will run til the system is fully charged with pressure, then automatically shut off....

in normal use, when you are at the trailer, you can leave the pump switch ON.... when traveling, or when you are going to be away from the trailer, shut it OFF.... (some of us leave it on all the time the trailer is in service, but we are taking a risk, as if a line should break while we are traveling, the pump will deliver the entire content of water in the tank out thru the broken line, which could be anywhere within the trailer.... its not so likely an occurrence, but it will be devastating if it should happen.

if you hear the pump start to run without someone opening a faucet, shut the power to it off immediately, as it has just sprung a leak somewhere..

if you hear it briefly cycle during the night (or at any other time), it means there is either a very small water leak somewhere, or there is a fault with the check valve within the pump, which in itself is not an emergency like a water leak will be....