Question about flush valves

kimmal

We have a Heartland Fairfield 403BH and for the life of me, I have no clue why, when they made this model, they put the flush valves where they are. They are under the trailer, under a slide. Very inaccessible, I literally have to get on my back and crawl under the trailer whenever I need to flush the lines. Other than the fact that this is, in my opinion a terrible design (my 50+ year old knees and back don't really appreciate it lol), my question is this. I have a single valve under the bathroom and then I have the black and the grey valves about 6 feet closer to the center of the trailer, under my living room pullout. ANY CLUE what the single valve is for?

Hoping someone can help as I'm stumped

Thanks
Allan

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a bit confused here as to what lines you are flushing.
If those valves of which you speak are on red and blue PEX lines then they typically are low point drains. Red = hot water, blue = cold water.
If you have a fresh water holding tank then the single valve should be a drain for that tank.

Peace
Dave

kimmal

I'm a bit confused here as to what lines you are flushing.
If those valves of which you speak are on red and blue PEX lines then they typically are low point drains. Red = hot water, blue = cold water.
If you have a fresh water holding tank then the single valve should be a drain for that tank.

Peace
Dave
Thanks Dave, I'm dumping the black water and grey water but am unclear what the 3rd valve is for. I've included a pic of the valves under my trailer. As I said, the single is directly under the washroom, so I thought it had to do with the shower/toilet, not a fresh water holding tank, but I could be totally wrong as I dont have the schematics of the plumbing of the trailer

Attachments

• FlushValves.jpg
    FlushValves.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 55

wdk450

You may want to investigate replacing your manual pull waste gate valves with electrically operated ones. Here is 1 brand example - you can do a websearch for more. Flip a switch in a CONVIENINT spot to open the valve.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My brain was thinking fresh water. Sorry and thanks for clearing that up for me.
You probably have two grey tanks. One for kitchen and one for bath, along with a black water tank, but just guessing on that.

Peace
Dave

kimmal

You may want to investigate replacing your manual pull waste gate valves with electrically operated ones. Here is 1 brand example - you can do a websearch for more. Flip a switch in a CONVIENINT spot to open the valve.
Thanks Bill, I did not know such a thing existed. Will definitely save my back :)

kimmal

My back agrees with you. This trailer, which is a park model basically, is not well designed for older people in terms of the plumbing setup that's for sure.

Johnston1107

How do you access black tank valve cable pull does nothing. Under belly cover looks nailed to frame by factory any suggestions I do not want to cut cover

david-steph2018

Either the under belly cover needs to come down or people do cut a 3 side access panel in the bottom and then tape it shut. If doing the 3 side access leave the hinge portion toward the front of the rig.
If decide to drop the cover then you will need to use self drilling screws to reinstall it back up.

wdk450

Kimmal:
Maybe your solution is to leave your feeder valves open all the time and rely on 1 add-on waste valve at the discharge port which you open when you want to dump.
See: https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/rv-sewer-hose-twist-on-safety-dump-valve

These are available from many sources including Amazon, and most of us Heartlanders have these, as the upstream valves eventually leak some, and you get a "surprise" when you remove the sewer protective end cap, and all the leaked fluid contents of that 3 inch pipe run out onto you before you have the sewer hose attached. Also, if you are in a stationary park situation, any RV with black/grey tanks should be dumped in a full tank "flush" to better wash solids out of the tanks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Feeder valve is stuck shut won’t open

In that case, you will have to make access in the bottom sheathing to repair it. Possible that the valve stem cable has come loose and needs to be reinstalled on the valve stem. Even if you get it to work, having that second valve is recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk